Resume and cover letter help please!!

jodipodi

Hiya, we are currently in Christies Beach on a reccie/holiday and are hoping to get hubbys CV translated Ozzy stylee....can anyone point me in the direction of someone or somewhere (reccommendations) that provides this service please...either online or on foot be it!

Ta very much x

Ahhhh, thought it had to be Ozzified? Seems the Ozzy resume is more about tailoring it to suit the specific job rather than a general CV for all?

Jodi Lee & kids x

I would certainly tailor your resume for the position. I have 5 or so versions of my resume depending on the position I am applying for. I work as a HR Officer and it always makes me smile when people send in a resume and their opening statement on their resume may say something for example 'I am looking for a position where I can use my initiative and a job that involves a lot of variety' and I could be advertising for a Filing Clerk where the job is routine, basic and would not involve a lot of variety! I think to myself have you actually read your resume and the job you are applying for? Then people sit and wonder why they don't get an interview!

• 2 weeks later...

There seem to be some differences in structure between the UK type and the Australian type. There is some good information available on http://www.careerone.com.au and http://www.seek.com.au

It is best, as Jessica has pointed out, to have a cv/resume that you can tailor. Best thing is to pepare one which meets the style suggested in the links and then tailor it using the information from the position description you obtain from the employer. Behavioural interviewing is popular here so if your cv/resume gets you an interview you need to be ready for that. The usual form is for you to be asked a factual or hypothetical question and you respond using a description of the circumstances; your analysis and reponse; a description of the outcome or result; any witnesses that can vouch for it and finally any documentary evidence. An HR practitioner I know uses the acronym CROWS (yes he's a big fan) - Circumstances, Response, Outcome, Witnesses, Support.

As for the cover letter, the best advice I've seen so far is that it is a self-marketing tool and not a summary of your cv/resume. Sell yourself (without bragging) on the critical requirements of the job as outlined in the position description and provide a bit of evidence.

If you get stuck drop me a note, I run a cv/resume/cover letter clinic for a community education organisation as a volunteer, if I can help with some examples and other info I would be happy to do so - at no cost of course - per email.

Edited by Royd