Looking for work in SA?? This may help!

Guest Yankmedownunder

Guest Yankmedownunder

I am not sure if things are different in the UK, but in the US you can apply for any job and if you are hired, you can just start working. Sometimes a profession is required to have a license, such as an electrician or a hair dresser, but most of the time if you have some experience you can work.

Here is what we learned about getting work in our fields.

One requirement in SA is getting a TFN number (Tax file number), Apply and wait two weeks. You will need an address to send it to.

Here in Australia, you will need a certificate if your trade requires it, and white card to work as a tradie. You will be required to take one or more classes, and they all cost $. Some take a day, some months. Best to plan ahead. A great place to start is contacting the CITC (construction industry training centre) http://www.citc.com.au'>http://www.citc.com.au

Simply finding the one person who knows the classes required to get certified in your field, will try your patience. TAFE (training and further education) http://www.tafesa.edu.au/ is your next step. Some classes can be taken online.

SRS (skills recognition services) can help you translate your degrees and licenses to applicable Australian requirements http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/

For instance, I am a hair dresser in the states with 22 years experience. I got a job in one day at the perfect salon. In order to follow the rules, I applied for my TFN number and then was passed to three different entities before I found the correct man to get my certificate from. He stated that I needed to fill out a 20 page application, with testimonies from my home, and pictures, and pay him $450.00. Then there was to be an interview in front of a panel of hairdressers, if I don't pass that interview, I will be required to perform a manual or practical test in front of the panel, which I will have to pay for. Seems silly with all my experience, besides, school was 22 years ago, technical terms have changed. It will have taken about a month, to get to my interview, in the meantime I can not work in my trade.

My husband is a project manager.

He has his TFN number and he will be going to his white card class soon, it will be a class on safety that takes about 7 hours, and $100.00. This class can not be taken online.

There seems to be tons of jobs out there, but it will take time to follow their requirements.

See careerone.com.au for a good source of up to date jobs.

Those of you coming from the UK or NZ may have it a little easier than we do.

It is a little frustrating finding the correct knowledgeable organization, and scary because in the meantime your funds could get low, but I do believe it is worth it, Australia is an amazing country!

I hope this info helps someone.

I am not sure if things are different in the UK, but in the US you can apply for any job and if you are hired, you can just start working. Sometimes a profession is required to have a license, such as an electrician or a hair dresser, but most of the time if you have some experience you can work.

Here is what we learned about getting work in our fields.

One requirement in SA is getting a TFN number (Tax file number), Apply and wait two weeks. You will need an address to send it to.

Here in Australia, you will need a certificate if your trade requires it, and white card to work as a tradie. You will be required to take one or more classes, and they all cost $. Some take a day, some months. Best to plan ahead. A great place to start is contacting the CITC (construction industry training centre) www.citc.com.au

Simply finding the one person who knows the classes required to get certified in your field, will try your patience. TAFE (training and further education) www.tafesa.edu.au/ is your next step. Some classes can be taken online.

SRS (skills recognition services) can help you translate your degrees and licenses to applicable Australian requirements www.skills.sa.gov.au/

For instance, I am a hair dresser in the states with 22 years experience. I got a job in one day at the perfect salon. In order to follow the rules, I applied for my TFN number and then was passed to three different entities before I found the correct man to get my certificate from. He stated that I needed to fill out a 20 page application, with testimonies from my home, and pictures, and pay him $450.00. Then there was to be an interview in front of a panel of hairdressers, if I don't pass that interview, I will be required to perform a manual or practical test in front of the panel, which I will have to pay for. Seems silly with all my experience, besides, school was 22 years ago, technical terms have changed. It will have taken about a month, to get to my interview, in the meantime I can not work in my trade.

My husband is a project manager.

He has his TFN number and he will be going to his white card class soon, it will be a class on safety that takes about 7 hours, and $100.00. This class can not be taken online.

There seems to be tons of jobs out there, but it will take time to follow their requirements.

See careerone.com.au for a good source of up to date jobs.

Those of you coming from the UK or NZ may have it a little easier than we do.

It is a little frustrating finding the correct knowledgeable organization, and scary because in the meantime your funds could get low, but I do believe it is worth it, Australia is an amazing country!

I hope this info helps someone.

Thanks for posting this. Good luck with the interview:smile:

My missus is hairdresser, im sure she has never shown any certificates here to get job. Most jobs are part time and its a case of do this hair and if they see you can do your job away you go. maybe its changed now:wideeyed: