HELP 1 year working visa 3-4 weeks rural work needed

Guest bigal

Guest bigal

My 23 year old neice arrived yesterday she is half way through her 1 year working visa she desperately needs 3-4 weeks rural type work, she has spent all her life being and working with horses,she is experienced with all aspects of handling breaking and training horses working with horses preferred but she is prepared to turn her hand to anything Rural,fruit picking ,vine pruning or whatever is in season

Guest tinkham_lee

Madec employment in Mclaren vale is the company to speak to about working on the vineyards, I think pruning season is starting very soon and they will be looking for lots of workers.

you say she needs 3-4 weeks work, has she already done some rural work since being in Australia, as to get the second year visa you need to do 3 months rural work

Guest bigal

Yes she has worked at racehorse stables in Scone NSW,also at Warwick Farm NSW,friends have told her that her time at Warwick Farm doesn't count because it is classed as metropolitan area work where as she has to be employed in rural work to gain a second year visa,we went to Morphettville yesterday and just driving around the local streets we saw 2 ladies in a small stable tending to some horses,we introduced ourselves the older lady immediately said yes they're desperate for workers,she said as soon as I finish here follow me in your car and I'll take you to see the boss, cut a long story short Louisa got a job offer just like that,I couldn't believe it I was so pleased, reminded me of the old days when you could chuck your job in go next door and get another one starting straight away.

The only problem is it maybe classed as metropolitan work Louisa will check with immigration tomorrow to find out whether it's ''rural type work'' or whether she has to work a certain distance from the CBD.

Thanks for the Mclaren Vale link I think it's rural just need to get a clear response from immigration.

Funny thing is she has asked them about Warwick Farm but they're not sure and they don't really seem to understand.

Guest bigal

I can only be nice to one person each day....today is NOT your turn...and tomorrow isn't looking too hopeful either.

must be my turn today, thank you, much appreciated.

The requirement is 3 months (there are rules on the how the hours are worked out etc to fit in to 3 months, ie squishing it into 3 weeks doing masses of hours doesn't cut it apparently). If she is half way though she really would be better to try to get the whole lot done if she hasn't done any yet. I am not sure what the current season gives around Adelaide in terms of fruit picking or some such. But I am sure something can be found.

I thought it was classed as 'regional' work not rural. The list linked to below shows SA as being classed as all regional.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm (scroll down to see the table)

I'd hope then that so long as the job falls on the list she would be ok. But looking at the list, I am not sure that her job offer will fall in any of the categories but she can check on that to be sure. Did all her previous regional work meet the requirements? If she is not sure she should check it all out and if it hasn't she can make up the time doing fruit picking or some such hopefully. I can't see anywhere on the list that working in a stables with horses would come under the regional work listing (unless perhaps it was a breeding stables or the horses were for meat but again, she needs to clarify this exactly).

Here is a link to the page with more info, but I've copied it over to the post also

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

Definition of specified work

Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:

• plant and animal cultivation

1. cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    2. general maintenance crop work
    3. harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
    4. immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning
      Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
    5. immediate processing of plant products
    6. maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    7. manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
    8. pruning and trimming vines and trees.
    9. [*]fishing and pearling

• conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
      • conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.

[*]tree farming and felling

• felling trees in a plantation or forest
      • planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
      • transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.

[*]mining

• coal mining
      • oil and gas extraction
      • metal ore mining
      • non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
      • exploration and other mining support services not including secondary activities such as book-keeping, catering and transport.

[*]construction

• building construction
      • heavy and civil engineering construction
      • construction services including metal wall cladding fixing to buildings, petrol bowser installation, sand blasting or steam cleaning of building exteriors, scaffolding construction, waterproofing of building.

Work undertaken in the areas of plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, and tree farming and felling must be described in the list above to meet the specified work requirement.

Edited by snifter

Guest bigal

Snifter you're a diamond geezer,the neice is breathing easier now and feeling a lot happier about her situation she's only about 20 days short of her 3 months the keyword was regional tried searching rural got nowhere, thanks to everybody for their help

Edited by bigal