Teachers I need your help!

Guest Rosie1979

Guest Rosie1979

Looking at the possiblity of applying to migrate out to Adelaide. How easy/difficult was it to find steady/secure employment? Did you get a job before moving out? Is it possible to be sponsored by a school? Or did you find work once you'd made the move?

My husband is currently a Head of Science in a secondary school teaching 11-16 yrs olds.

Hi!

I'm a teacher and I'm just trying to get sorted to do some supply/relief teaching here as we came over a month ago with my OH's job. From speaking with a few Adelaide teachers, I think permanent contracts are few and far between but if you're happy to do relief teaching or short term contracts then there is work. I may be wrong but that's what I've been told.

I'm in the process of getting my qualifications assessed by the TRB (Teachers Registration Board) here in Adelaide...my paperwork is submitted and they say should take about 4 weeks to come through (I qualified with a PGCE). You can do that bit from the UK but you'll need to get a copies of all your I.D. and qualifications certified before sending them over. Meanwhile i'm booked on the Abuse and Neglect Course, First Aid course plus applying for the ACRO Police check in the UK (didn't need one for OH's visa so didn't get one done whilst in the UK....wish I had!) then I'm all set to register with the TRB and get my CV around the schools to do some TRT (temporary relief teaching). You won't be able to do the registration bit until you get here as you'll need to do the 2 courses when you arrive but you can get booked on them before you arrive.

Not sure if that helps answer your question as I'm really not sure yet how much secure work there is for teachers here. But everyone I've spoken to says that there is work even if it's just TRT.

Lyn

Guest Rosie1979
Hi!

I'm a teacher and I'm just trying to get sorted to do some supply/relief teaching here as we came over a month ago with my OH's job. From speaking with a few Adelaide teachers, I think permanent contracts are few and far between but if you're happy to do relief teaching or short term contracts then there is work. I may be wrong but that's what I've been told.

I'm in the process of getting my qualifications assessed by the TRB (Teachers Registration Board) here in Adelaide...my paperwork is submitted and they say should take about 4 weeks to come through (I qualified with a PGCE). You can do that bit from the UK but you'll need to get a copies of all your I.D. and qualifications certified before sending them over. Meanwhile i'm booked on the Abuse and Neglect Course, First Aid course plus applying for the ACRO Police check in the UK (didn't need one for OH's visa so didn't get one done whilst in the UK....wish I had!) then I'm all set to register with the TRB and get my CV around the schools to do some TRT (temporary relief teaching). You won't be able to do the registration bit until you get here as you'll need to do the 2 courses when you arrive but you can get booked on them before you arrive.

Not sure if that helps answer your question as I'm really not sure yet how much secure work there is for teachers here. But everyone I've spoken to says that there is work even if it's just TRT.

Lyn

Thanks for getting back to me Lyn! Do you know why permanent contracts are few and far between in Adelaide? It doesn't make sense to me when it is on the skilled migration list for 2012, but you have just confirmed for me what I have been reading. Are you worried about job security? With two children to support, I don't know if my DH would be happy with relief work, I guess it would depend on how long the sections of relief work you take on last...I think he would worry about not being employed full time IYKWIM. I was worried that what I had been reading was right about not being able to get a secure position....:sad: which greatly reduces my chances of persuading my OH that Adelaide is right for us...

Well, I think that many jobs here (I may get shouted down here for this if I'm very wrong!) are only temporary or short term contracts but people keep those jobs for a long time without too many problems. That seems to be what people I've spoken to are saying and the same seems to go for teaching. I think that the government recently changed the contract system for teachers to try and weed out some of those that had been in the job for years on permanent contracts and so new or young teachers started taking up the short-term contracts since then. Although they only sign up for short term contracts, I think the contracts are renewed regularly if you're any good!

I read all this quite a while ago before we came out so I may not be completely accurate but I think that's pretty much the general idea.

I'm in the fortunate position, I guess, that I actually WANT relief work as my OH has a fairly secure job here through the company he worked for in the UK and I just want some casual work to fit in round my son's school hours.

I'm sure many teachers who have already found work here will know far more than me, though!

Good luck with persuading your OH. It is amazing here!!!

Guest gymnast11

hello ive a friend who has been here 6 years, and is a teacher and its really weird how it works, although the school would love her to be permenant it really isnt up to them and she has to aply for her position all the time, the school has worked out a way of, putting the position out late so no one gets it then it goes in house, she was only telling me this last week, crazy, and although highly qualified, she isnt in there eyes as she doesnt have oz equivilent even more crazy, when our teachers are well more advanced hope this helps, michelle x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Watkinsfamily

Michelle were you a gymnast?? Just wondering as I taught to national level for many years and usually use Gymnast77 as my name :) Thought as I gave up coaching 4 years ago it was time to register with my family for a change X

Guest devon67

my wife is a D&T teacher with years of exp and has taught a few other subjects, from the sound of it victoria is the best place to start and then move over after a few years to Adelaide