Abn query

Guest smurph

Guest smurph

i currently work full time, and sometimes on weekends i work for a tradie. now i dont do cash in hand and obviously for his bookwork neither does he.

so my query is: as i am full time employed and my employer deals with all my tax, do i need to get an ABN too for this income? and to provide to the tradie this number for his bookwork to pay me correctly and above board.

i guess people can have two jobs, cant they?

It depends - he can put you on his books as casual part time employee and you will need to fill out a form for him (a copy of which gets sent to the TaxOffice) giving him your Tax File Number and nominated Super fund and stating whether you wish to claim your tax free threshold allowance from him - as you are employed fulltime elsewhere you would just need to tick NO on the part time employer's form. I work for two different employers - one of which is a book-keeper so knows the rules about employees - and this is what I do.

If you are not on his books as an employee then you may need to get an ABN, but as a registered employee - even casual - you don't necessarily need one, and at the end of the tax year you will get a pay summary from him for tax purposes.

Edited by Diane

Guest ReadyPenny

I'm guessing the tradie wouldnt want to register you as an employee,unless he already has others, because he/she would be getting into the realms of WorkCover contributions, employee liability insurance etc. As advised above, ring the ATO to be sure, but yes I think you need an ABN.