Aldinga/Victor Harbour Carpeneter work?

Guest WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

Hello

I've only just been advised to look in the Aldinga/Victor Harbour area for the affordable housing plus beach lifestyle my OH has his heart set on since we are getting our visa thanks to him having worked his bottom off as a joiner (carpenter in Oz apparently since joiners over there are really kitchen fitters ?!?) so he wants a better home life and to be next to the beach if he is to continue as a carpenter/joiner.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows what the likliehood of actually getting carpenter work in this area of Adeliade is? I don't know anything about the place (yet) so don't wanna start showing him realestate.com.au for the area and then find out there is no work for him...

Thanks for any info at all - anyone who lives in the Aldinga area, comments on what it is like to live there and where you actually have to travel to work would be totally appreciated.

Thanks again!!!! :notworthy:

Hiya. We're in the same situation as you really. My OH is a chippy too and we're wondering where the best place is with regard to work and have affordable housing. I liked the look of VH and the surrounding area too but someone told me that although this is a lovely place it's not necessarily the best place for work. I got the impression that it was like Cornwall in this country, very pretty but seems to be more of a holiday location. Then again someone else told me that it doesn't really matter where you are as there is plenty of carpentry work all over Adelaide. We're hearing so many conflicting things as I suppose at the end of the day everybody has a different opinion. So, we're planning to have a few weeks reccie first before my OH starts work (hopefully making the move sept/oct time) and see for ourselves. If getting work isn't going to be a problem I think we're just going to have to go by our gut reaction as to the different areas. I think that's all we've got to go on really to some extent. Sorry, that's not really very helpful to you is it? But I appreciate where you're coming from. There are so many queries and unanswered questions that really you're not going to know the answers to until you get there. We're trying to find out more about wages and what to expect but this seems to be bit of a grey area too.

We're going to the Emgiration exhibition in London this weekend which hopefully will be really useful. If I find anything out about carpentry work/areas/wages I'll let you know.

Nicky

There is work down that way, but you are narrowing if you head in that area. Aldinga/VH ..........big difference in area.........In Aldinga you can service anywhere from CDB down....VH, more difficult.

Hiya. We're in the same situation as you really. My OH is a chippy too and we're wondering where the best place is with regard to work and have affordable housing. I liked the look of VH and the surrounding area too but someone told me that although this is a lovely place it's not necessarily the best place for work. I got the impression that it was like Cornwall in this country, very pretty but seems to be more of a holiday location. Then again someone else told me that it doesn't really matter where you are as there is plenty of carpentry work all over Adelaide. We're hearing so many conflicting things as I suppose at the end of the day everybody has a different opinion. So, we're planning to have a few weeks reccie first before my OH starts work (hopefully making the move sept/oct time) and see for ourselves. If getting work isn't going to be a problem I think we're just going to have to go by our gut reaction as to the different areas. I think that's all we've got to go on really to some extent. Sorry, that's not really very helpful to you is it? But I appreciate where you're coming from. There are so many queries and unanswered questions that really you're not going to know the answers to until you get there. We're trying to find out more about wages and what to expect but this seems to be bit of a grey area too.

We're going to the Emgiration exhibition in London this weekend which hopefully will be really useful. If I find anything out about carpentry work/areas/wages I'll let you know.

Nicky

Hey Nicky,

Thanks for the feedback - nice to hear from someone in the same situation!!! I think there are so many posts about chippies going to Adelaide/Oz in general that some people can't be bothered answering the same questions over and over but I can never find what I am looking for when actually searching the forums... Probably since there is just soooo much info to sift through!!!

Good luck at the exhibition in London, we're in Glasgow and I can't remember the last time there was any emigration stuff up here... We went to a career day in the Central Hotel a few years back which was just trying to bump up the skilled migration program but not really to actually help relocate or anything but it did get us interested in the first place.

Wish we'd started all of this sooner!!! Look forwards to hearing from you when you get all your info :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya. We went to the expo last weekend and found it useful, I think!?!! I'm not sure how much new stuff we actually learnt as we've done so much research already. Saying that it was good to speak to people face to face and in particular meeting the team from Home2Home Settlements who've I've already spoken to a few times on the phone. They were lovely people and very knowledgable in their area so if you're considering some help with relocation I can certainly reccommend them as I'm sure we're be using them ourselves. As for carpentry work we have been reassured 'again' that there's plenty of it so no worries there. We'd still like to find out more about wages but seem to be hitting our heads against a brick wall with that one. If nothing else we managed to get our hands on a copy of the Where to Live Guide - Adelaide from the SA Gov stand which are like gold dust.

Sorry, I haven't really been able to offer you anything useful there have I. We'll just have to keep trawling I think!!

Nicky

Hiya. We went to the expo last weekend and found it useful, I think!?!! I'm not sure how much new stuff we actually learnt as we've done so much research already. Saying that it was good to speak to people face to face and in particular meeting the team from Home2Home Settlements who've I've already spoken to a few times on the phone. They were lovely people and very knowledgable in their area so if you're considering some help with relocation I can certainly reccommend them as I'm sure we're be using them ourselves. As for carpentry work we have been reassured 'again' that there's plenty of it so no worries there. We'd still like to find out more about wages but seem to be hitting our heads against a brick wall with that one. If nothing else we managed to get our hands on a copy of the Where to Live Guide - Adelaide from the SA Gov stand which are like gold dust.

Sorry, I haven't really been able to offer you anything useful there have I. We'll just have to keep trawling I think!!

Nicky

Thanks for letting me know how it went. It is good to have reassurance that they are still looking for carpenters cos we were getting worried!!! I have heard from other people on this site that if you are willing to go round the sites or try to find someone with a license to work with then there is plenty of work just like you were saying.

Cheers for the info!!! Hope we all get there soon!