A Licence at last

Leccyman

Just received my A licence. Here's my experiences if they help anyone. If anyone has any questions please ask.

Originally did Vetassess in the UK. Moved to Oz this year in January. Having read posts on here about getting licenced, I applied to TRA whilst still in the UK, but received a reply saying they could not process my application as I did not yet live in Australia.

Arrived in Australia and went to see the Skills Recognition Service in Adelaide. Very very helpful and knew the process inside out. They checked a copy of my application to TRA and advised me to revise it to fulfill the TRA criteria. My application was 120 pages long in the form of a statutory declaration as well as copies of qualifications and references.

I was told by TRA it would take 5-9 months to process. There could be 3 outcomes. Best outcome is approved and ARTC issued, second best is get a technical interview over the phone (this is the norm apparently now according to Skills Recognition Services), and worst case scenario is rejected. I was lucky and got approved and my ARTC certificate within 3 months.

Booked my wiring rules course at Peer Veet in Adelaide. 3 week course, Tues and Thurs all day. Course consisted of 5 theory assessments and 1 practical inspection and testing assessment. Quite intense course and fast moving, lots of hours needed at home to fill in the workbook. I went into the course thinking this stage would be a breeze similar to the 17th Edition in the UK, but this course is much more difficult. I passed the course then took both the ARTC and wiring rules Certificate to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs in Adelaide and two weeks and $380 later I received my Electrical Mechanic unrestricted A licence. thumbsup.gif

Peer said the rules course was about to change in July ish. They said the course was becoming harder more towards the Australian capstone qualification.

Definately a must to get your CITB card before doing the wiring rules course as this more than halves the cost. You don't need to be working to get this, just give them a ring.

Any questions let me know. Happy to help anyone else in this situation because its been really hard work for me and I was lucky to meet some local lads here who helped.

Guest Katangel

hiya :-) my OH is an electrician and he'd like to know what qualifications did you have before leaving the uk and how many years experience. he will obviously have to do what you have done to get his licence when we go over mid next year. although with him being an aussie citizen already we wonder whether he could start applying for things beforehand? thanks and well done! :-)

Hello Leccyman,

I did my Vetassess in February 2011 and we were granted our visa in June 2011. Visited Adelaide in March this year and went along to PEER. I signed up and took the course work books, wiring regs etc away with me to study and practice whilst we are back in the UK getting ready for the move. I paid for the course/exam at the same time. Do you think this will still be the same one that you did as you state that PEER suggested the course is to change in July-ish, we arrive in September this year.

PEER also told me to 'speed things up' to go down the TRA route as well and keep quiet about doing Vetassess.

I have been an electrician for 25 years (with associated up to date qualifications) so don't feel I would have a problem with the experience side of things but just wondered whether I would also need a '120 page' document to satisfy them. The statutory declaration etc that was needed for the Vetassess is quite comprehensive but I sense from your post that this needs to be 'tweaked' in order to satisfy the TRA people. I have been in management (past 5 years) and recently (last year and a half) have my own limited company, do you think this will hinder me in any way?

PEER also say to apply for the Electrical Mechanic license that you went for.

Now that you have your A Class have you managed to find any work and how was/is that going.

Cheers,

Elliot

hi Elliot,

I'm not sure where you would stand with Peer if you've paid already but will get here after July. Probably worth giving them a ring to clarify your position I would think. Definately keep quiet about the Vetassess if you go down the TRA route, I was told that as well! Two government departments that don't like each other apparently!

Its definately worth going to Skills Recognition Services in the city before you send off your TRA application. The guy there really does know everything about the process and is very knowledgeable about all trades. I sent my TRA application off from the UK thinking it would speed things up but it didn't as they wouldn't process it until I lived here and also when I'd seen the SRS people there were things I tweaked based on their experiences and advice. Things like not mentioning any low voltage stuff at all, they may also advise you not to mention being a manager as the TRA want to see you doing all the roles of an Electrical Mechanic and if you mention something that is not then they get suspicious. But don't take my say so on this I can't stress enough to go and see the SRS people or may be give them a ring now for some advice on what to start putting in your application as you could start collecting things like references while you're still in the UK which would be easier than doing it when you get here.

In terms of work, I sent my cv to a few companies and didn't hear anything from most of them. Its word of mouth most of the time. I was even talking with a car sales man when I was buying a car and he rang me a few days later with phone numbers of electricians who might have work! If you haven't got the A licence then it is hard to find a job I would say as you would be employed as a trade assistant who needs to be signed off for every job they do and some companies don't want that hassle or want someone who can hit the ground running. There seem to be quite a few jobs on the websites like seek.com and in the papers but they all ask for the A licence. I got my work word of mouth and its going good.

• 1 month later...
Guest MarkSA

Hi Elliot

Not sure if you can advise me, my Nephew-in-Law, who has City and Guilds trade qualification in Electronic Engineering technician and 21 years experience just had his TRA back as unsuccessful, it says it’s because his qualifications are not comparable to the relevant AQF qualification, is there anywhere that can check his qualifications against the TRA requirement and advise what he needs to do to get a successful TRA, we all thought the City and Guilds and 21 years experience would have got him through,

Thanks

Mark

• 2 years later...
Guest tiswas88

Hi Leccyman,

I could do with a bit of advice if you could help out mate.....

I'm due to land in Adelaide on November 4th. I have my Vetasssess but I contacted Rebecca at peer via email and she said cos I went down Vetassess route I had to do the gap training etc? Is this right and is there anything I can do before I get there, ie book courses?

Im a bit miffed????:arghh:

Thanks

Hello Tiswas88,

I'm afraid what you have been told is correct. Now that computer systems and departments over here talk to each other they are able to see how you got your visa, and if as you did, you came in via Vetassess then you will have to do some form of gap training.

There is some good news though. As a newbie you can get some funding to help with the cost of this. Contact this guy, Adam Cirillo at Skills for All on 1800 658 887, you will have to actually see him and show him a copy of your vetassess form so you could make that appointment from UK, if you are going to call from UK then I think you will need this number instead +61 8 8463 5548. They are based at 55 Currie Street in the city, really easy to get to and a car park right opposite just behind the buildings, look it up on Google first just to familiarise yourself. Here is their website http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/Contact-us/General-enquiries

You will also need to get you restricted license which is dead easy to do. Here is the website for this http://www.cbs.sa.gov.au/wcm/licensing-and-registration/occupational-licensing-and-registration/how-to-apply-for-a-licence/electronic-licence-application-forms/

It might be easier to get this sorted when you get here as they will need a photo of you which you can get at their offices when you fill in the forms. the whole process by some miracle, only takes about a week to get. A word or advice though is that I have heard that this type of license is only valid for a year so you really need to have your job lined up at the same time as you apply so as that if it takes longer to get your qualifications your restricted license is still valid.

The main problem obviously is getting a job with this type of license as everyone says they want you to have an A class before they even contemplate giving you a job. There are company's out there who will give you work but it is just a matter of calling them.

See how you get on and if I can help anymore I will.

Elliot

Hi Leccyman,

I could do with a bit of advice if you could help out mate.....

I'm due to land in Adelaide on November 4th. I have my Vetasssess but I contacted Rebecca at peer via email and she said cos I went down Vetassess route I had to do the gap training etc? Is this right and is there anything I can do before I get there, ie book courses?

Im a bit miffed????:arghh:

Thanks

All that effort just to sling in T&E! Ive heard very diplomatic explanations regarding the standard of electrical work here such as "its not rough, just different"

Its not different, it's just rough! Welcome to a life of pulling T&E through conduits and plastic absolutely everything, no more metal clad fellas!