Admin Clerical Job - 30 Hours per week flexible

Guest WhatNow?

Guest WhatNow?

Working for a Not for Profit organisation (lowish salary but good tax benefits). Based in Highgate 5063.

Closing date this Friday 29th June 2012 so PM me quickly if you want more info.

You need to have reasonable MSWord and MSExcel skills as there is an IT test to help the organisation to shortlist.

If you have experience in aged care or community services that will be a big advantage, as will coming from a customer service background.

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quick&Keywords=resthaven&location=1007&industry=6251

Guest guest8040

Can I ask do you work for a not for profit? If so could I message you to pick your brains? - I hope to emigrate March/April next year and have 15 years experience working for a charity in the UK predominantly in volunteer management. Thanks Mel

Guest WhatNow?

Yes I do and yes you can. I think all new migrants need to know that the job situation is very tight here and migrants are not generally taken on in anything like the positions they occupied in the UK. You have to prove yourself - very little credibility is given to your overseas experience and qualifications and getting into the organisation you want to work for, in however lowly a position, and then proving what you can do is the surest way to progress. Expect to go back several rungs down the ladder and take every opportunity to show off your skills and experience and you will be taken seriously. If you come here expecting to walk into a job simply because you have a good Resume (not CV, LOL!) you will be sadly and rapidly disillusioned. I would say that if you want to end up in volunteer recruitment and management, start out as a volunteer yourself as soon as possible and talk to everyone you can in the organisation, show that you understand the working environment and you will get the respect you deserve. You may well end up having to take a part time role first. Most not-for-profits don't have a big recruitment and training budget and are more than happy to promote internally if you have the character to get through the 'apprenticeship' that is expected. They call it 'putting in the hard yards' and it may sound harsh but that is the reality. If you get head hunted for a siginificant major role you are very lucky but for most of us it doesn't work like that. A little humility and an ability to choke back the impulse to say 'but in the UK we do it like this' goes a long way.

PM me if you want any more specifics on not-for-profit, salary sacrifie etc.

Mandy