Teaching opportunities in SA

Guest cormac

Guest cormac

Hello all,

My wife and I are hoping to be emigrating to Adelaide within a few months and I am wondering about teaching opportunities. I am an experienced ICT and Mathematics teacher and my wife is a solicitor. Any advice?

"When strangers meet, great allowance should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica from Wisdom of Arrakis.

The above is in reference to your first post which for most people is usually a general introduction rather than a request for information.

Regardless of the above try looking at http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/ which should give you some info and links worth reading. By the sounds of it you're secondary rather than primary so should be in with a better chance of a job than a primary school teacher. State schools are quite hard to get a permanent job in so you may be better off looking for work in an independent school first. You'll need to do a couple of mandatory courses in order to register as a teacher and probably do some supply work (TRT) first.

Searching for the word "Teaching" in the top right of the page should point you in the direction of a few threads in which a lot of useful info lies and you may find that any specific questions you have may already have been answered.

One thing that probably isn't said is that if you get a job in an independent school the kids are probably a lot less feral than those in state schools.

No idea about solicitors.

Good luck anyway.

Guest cormac

Sorry I didnt realise that I was supposed to introduce myself before posting so i just jumped in with the posting.

My wife Claire and I are from Northern Ireland and have decided to emigrate to australia. We are currently working our way through the visa stages and hope that all goes well. We appreciate the advice and assistance. I will look into how to apply to independant scholols as well as state schools.

Cormac

Guest jmthomo

hi Cormac welcome to the forum mostly you will get lots of help and support from members of the site, from our perspective my hubby is a high school PE teacher, experienced having worked in the NZ education system, he has spent the last year jumping through the red tape of first teacher registration which was very straight forward process compared to what hits next, which is registering with DECS now called DECD, this involves navigating a stupid webiste and uploading all of your documents and apply for relief teaching status, whilst also uploading your CV for any upcoming positions. once positions become vacant you are automatically put into the pool for that job, and then yuo get an email to state that you been selected for a job and are rated 1-4, if number 1 accepts the job then nobody else gets a look in, and just to point out that all of this is completed without an interview this all a paper based admin process, if number 1 does not accept the position then it goes to number 2 etc etc...

My hubby was short listed for 14 jobs last year and never got to be number 1.

he has worked relieving in term 1 and got quite a bit of work, but this did not work for our family as we have young children and couldnt arrange childcare around an ever changing work pattern. he was strongly advised that the general rule of thumb is that you need to relieve before beign considered for a permanent position, however maths an ICT probably much different to PE. be careful about getting posted out country which can also happen in DECS, and dont be fooled by people stating you need to take a country post before being able to secure a metropolitan, as we have heard of people being posted out rural for 2 years or more and still cant secure teaching closer to home.

the catholic education system is different again, and you need to have a catholic police clearance, child safe training and you generally need to be catholic. look up catholic education system adelaide

also look up independent schools adelaide, one thing we have learnt also is that the private schools are either christian, lutheran and catholic and usually ahve a policy that teachers have to demonstrate their commitment to their faith.

as with anywhere tyou live in the world there are good private bad private and middle of the road, same with public, this largely depends whwer on the area.

career one

teachernet

CEASA

are websites for teaching jobs, I strongly advise to try and secure a job before arriving if you need a permanent position, otherwise youmay be happy to relieve.

sorry I dont know anything about the legal system.

Welcome Cormac - I am trying to rack.....my "morning" brain....I saw a program on TV the other day about young, newly qualified teachers not being able to get jobs. I was surprised about that because the last I heard was that teachers were needed. I've been searching the internet to see if I can find details of that program but perhaps someone on here can remember. (It might also. be more specific to Primary school teachers rather than High School ones)And there is nothing wrong with "State Schools" there are many good schools in Adelaide - our Prime Minister went to a State School and she may not be perfect but she is quite passionate that "learning" should be available widely.

Just wanted to reassure you that you don't need to be Catholic to teach in a Catholic school here. I've had plenty of TRT work from Catholic schools and have now been offered a temporary contract at one and I am not Catholic and haven't needed to be! All you need in addition to the TRB requirements is a Catholic police check which takes less than a week to come through.

I would agree that the DECS/DECD website system is a nightmare and I gave up after several nights of working through it!

Good luck with the job hunting.

Lyn x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maxLIFE

Hi Lyn,

That's interesting, may open some doors for folk! My wife is a PS teacher in Scotland and we're awaiting an invite from DIAC. Do you mind me asking what's Glenelg like? we were researching it as a possible area to live in.

maxLIFE

Edited by maxLIFE

Hi Lyn,

That's interesting, may open some doors for folk! My wife is a PS teacher in Scotland and we're awaiting an invite from DIAC. Do you mind me asking what's Glenelg like? we were researching it as a possible area to live in.

maxLIFE

Glenelg is lovely but expensive. Its great being close to Jetty road and the beach there but there are plenty of other areas along the coast that are good and easier on the wallet. It is on the tram route into the city which is good but depending on where you work should play a big part in where you choose to live for the commute etc.

We will be starting off in Glenelg but when buying we'll be looking outside of the suburb most likely. My MIL lives there but for us long term, costs and all that with a family, somewhere where we get more for our money is going to be where we go.

Hi Lyn,

maxLIFE

Hi MaxLIFE,

Snifter is absolutely right! Glenelg is fantastic but very expensive! I have to say that we wouldn't be renting here if we were living on my teaching wage!! We are in SA because my OH was offered a very good job through the company he worked for in the UK who are also based out here in Adelaide. Renting in Glenelg is expensive but buying here is silly money just because of the location. And, yes, the location is fantastic...cafes, restaurants, shops, beach, marina, trams to the city, excellent school etc. all within easy walking distance. I have to say it is the perfect place to start out, if you can, as there is so much on your door step to help you get out and about and meet new people. I think it is good to be in and amongst lots of "stuff" going on when you first arrive rather than being miles from anything...however, there are plenty of other places to choose from, as Snifter said, where there is stuff going on. Also, to quote Snifter again, when it comes to purchasing a property, you get much more for your money if you are just slightly further north, south or inland from Glenelg...which is exactly what we will do when the time comes!

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions about teaching here etc.

Good luck with it all.

Lyn x

Guest maxLIFE

Thanks Snifter and Lyn,

Will bear your advice in mind if we get a positive result, fingerscrossed. Thanks, Lyn for the offer of advice on teaching. I'll say to my wife and I'm sure she'll be in touch!

Have I got a few things rights though....

PS teaching jobs are very competitive?

most UK teachers do relief work to start with?

some PS school teachers work in childcare centres?

you can only register to teach when you get to Oz?

you can teach in Catholic schools no matter your denomination?

there is no point in applying from the UK to teach due to registration and other things?

there is no interview process and you upload docs and get a selection number?

Any help you can give to fill in the blanks would be great. Thanks again!:goofy:

Thanks Snifter and Lyn,

Will bear your advice in mind if we get a positive result, fingerscrossed. Thanks, Lyn for the offer of advice on teaching. I'll say to my wife and I'm sure she'll be in touch!

Have I got a few things rights though....

PS teaching jobs are very competitive?

most UK teachers do relief work to start with?

some PS school teachers work in childcare centres?

you can only register to teach when you get to Oz?

you can teach in Catholic schools no matter your denomination?

there is no point in applying from the UK to teach due to registration and other things?

there is no interview process and you upload docs and get a selection number?

Any help you can give to fill in the blanks would be great. Thanks again!:goofy:

1. I would imagine PS teaching jobs are quite competitive...I've heard that there is a greater need for secondary teachers than primary, although it will depend on where you are prepared to live within the state. I haven't applied for any jobs yet as I'm getting plenty of relief work which leads me to point 2....

2. I think most UK teachers start with relief work out here as it is a good way to get some Aussie experience and can lead to contract work in the long run. A few people I've spoken to say that many posts don't get advertised, they just appoint someone they know (i.e. relievers) which is how I got my first contract coming up later this term.

3. Not sure about this one...some schools have asked if I am prepared to relieve in their pre-school/kindy section but I gather that the rules are changing and that shortly (2013?) you will need to have a specific pre-school/kindy qualification to teach there and so a primary teaching qualification won't be accepted for teaching the pre-school age-group.

4. You can get your qualifications assessed with the TRB from overseas (that's the first step to registering) but you'll need to get certified copies of all your documents and they may ask to see your originals....they asked to see mine but I went in person when I first arrived in Adelaide. That process took about 4 weeks and then you can register if your qualifications are accepted. You'll need to attend a child-abuse course (Mandatory Notification Course) before you can register so you'll have to be in SA for that. Registration took another 2 weeks to come through for me but it can vary. You'll also need to sit a first aid course once you get here but that is only required for teaching and not needed for registration.

5. Correct, you don't need to be Catholic to teach in a Catholic school.

6. Correct, you cannot apply to teach until you are registered with the TRB.

7. The process you describe is for state school jobs. There is a Department for Education (DECD) website where state school jobs are advertised and you have to upload all of your documents in order to get a DECD number and be considered for jobs that are advertised. I've heard it's a bit of a minefield and yes, no interviews, purely your paperwork is considered for the selection process. I gave up on the DECD website after a few evenings of trying to upload all my stuff and so others will be able to comment on their personal experience of it, I'm sure! Private and Catholic Schools advertise posts in the local press and on various websites and they do carry out interviews.

I hope that answers/confirms some of your queries. Your wife is welcome to get in touch if she wants to ask anything else in future. It does seem to be overwhelming at first but once you start working through it all, it is fairly straight forward. The TRB were also really helpful whenever I phoned them with questions about the process even if they were frustratingly slow with their administrative processes! Just keep chasing them! In the end, I was calling them on a daily basis to chase my registration and it seemed to work!

Good luck.

Lyn x

Guest Watkinsfamily

Very helpful, I am coming over in 10 days to validate my visa and take the mandatory training and first aid course in order to get my skills assessed and hopefully register to teach in SA in person during the month that I am there, we hope to move for good this time next year. I will keep following this thread, thank you all for the info. X

Guest maxLIFE
Very helpful, I am coming over in 10 days to validate my visa and take the mandatory training and first aid course in order to get my skills assessed and hopefully register to teach in SA in person during the month that I am there, we hope to move for good this time next year. I will keep following this thread, thank you all for the info. X

A well thought out game plan, Watkinsfamily!

Thanks for taking the time to supply all that info, Lyn. Filled in a lot of my blanks! I'll pass on to the better half. I feel hopeful though about the relief work...I'm relating it to our past situation, we moved from NI to Scotland and my wife had to do supply for a good while and although competition for PS is high here she managed to get a plenty of work. I guess the biggest fear for us is not being able to provide...