Feeling worried while seeing job available numbers in Adelaide.

Guest uma

Hi All,

I am a Systems Analyst by occupation. Recently got SA SS approval and going to file Visa in few days.

One thing I would like to share with all my friends here is for my profession when I am seeing job availability in Job sites I am feeling very

nervous for the openings in Adelaide.

When I see the figures among Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide, very less number of openings exists in Adelaide.

I am really worried about this. Not sure how the things will work out there when we come along with family of 4 :(

However as it is our dream to live in OZ, I do not want to get discouraged.

Guest moonraker1959

Hi Uma,not sure what your job entails tbh,but.....can you stay flexible work wise?Atleast until something does come along in your profession?If you stay too rigid with choices of work,chances are you will find it more difficult to gain employment.Obviously Sydney and Melbourne are coniderably larger cities so there will more than like be more openings there.Best of luck,and its more likely going to be easier anyway to apply for jobs once you are actually there in person.Best of luck!xx

Edited by moonraker1959

Guest Mrs Vealy

Hi there, try not to get disheartened, from the limited knowledge I have here is that Adelaide isn't as busy as Melbourne and Sydney so work may be tougher to find, wagers a bit lower....BUT it means it's a beautiful place to live, cheaper housing, friendly etc.......being flexible with work may help too

Hang in there!

Adelaide may have less jobs advertised but it will probably have less people going for those jobs as well. My OH got a job as a development team lead before we left the UK (he is Australian). You just need to make sure you put in a good application. There is a sticky on Poms in Oz with some advice about how to write your CV which I would suggest you look at. Also for Government jobs (including Unis) they usually have a job specification that they expect you to cover the points of in your application. My OH got told he hadn't covered these points fully in one of his applications, although he would have still got an interview if they had not put the job on hold so he must have covered enough of them.

One thing I would like to share with all my friends here is for my profession when I am seeing job availability in Job sites I am feeling very

When I see the figures among Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide, very less number of openings exists in Adelaide.

Adelaide has a population of 1.2m whereas both Sydney and Melb have over 4m people. More to the point, the vast majority of 'head office' locations are found in those two larger cities, so there are even more IT, Finance, HR jobs in those places than would be the case based on population alone. As has been said, though, there's also more competition for jobs in bigger cities. IT openings do exist in Adelaide, but obviously not to the same extent as in NSW and Vic.

Jim

@Jim. Melb and Syd are over 5million now, but you are right, the amount of jobs are directly related to the opportunities in bigger faster growing cities, but the amount of people going for those jobs is in proportion. Uma get onto seek or careerone and chase down the details of those advertising jobs that you would apply for. Email them your resume, in an introductory email with the date of arrival and available for work. Or just look in whitepages for Hays, PeopleBank, Candle and Icon recruitment. Others PM me and i can link you up with a few directly.

Guest satish_lkb

Hi,

Jobs in Adelaide is less compared to other bigger cities in Aus. May it will take min 6 months for a start. But there are people I know who got placement within a weeks time! It all depends on individual circumstances. But life here in Adelaide is the best compared to other cities. You can live around 20 km max close to the CBD. There are lots of places to move around, people are good, good for families and kids, very less crime etc etc

Satish

Guest scmercer
Hi All,

I am a Systems Analyst by occupation. Recently got SA SS approval and going to file Visa in few days.

I am really worried about this. Not sure how the things will work out there when we come along with family of 4 :(

However as it is our dream to live in OZ, I do not want to get discouraged.

Hi

My husband is a Systems Analyst and we moved to Adelaide in 2009. and returned to the UK last year. He also found very few vacancies advertised but saying that he did manage to find work within a couple of months of arriving. It may be worth registering with one of the agencies before you arrive.