Rules and costs of starting a magazine

Guest ali

Hi guys,

A thought just popped into my head and it might be a project 'if' I manage to fund it somehow when I move to Adelaide.

Do any of you have any experience working for a magazine in Australia?

Do you know the costs of registering the name, running costs of a monthly magazine with a website? The rules that apply to it?

It will be a very interesting venture if I ever manage to raise enough money to make it work and realistically looking at it (I'm still studying the prospects of making it a success and the competition) it will be all-round beneficial. So any help will be appreciated. :smile:

Cheers,

Ali

Good luck on the venture Ali.

Are you talking of an online magazine or hard copy??

I've a good mate in the print trade here who can probably help with hard copy.

The legal side will have to be tight, copyright and so on.

Good luck on the venture Ali.

Are you talking of an online magazine or hard copy??

I've a good mate in the print trade here who can probably help with hard copy.

The legal side will have to be tight, copyright and so on.

Hi Tyke,

Thank you for the reply.:smile: I'm thinking both hard copy and online. The main problem is funding the project. With the Dollar at its strongest against Rials (Iranian currency) my wallet size is decreasing by the hour which is kind of scary. So with the Saffron project and this I will have to know the exact costs that materializing these projects will incur me. The sad thing is that with the visa I'm on I won't be able to get any loans from the banks. But, I never give up. If I don't manage to fund any of the projects I will work my behind off and save for a year and go ahead with both of them.:wink:

I will ask for your friends contact details when we finally meet.

What I've learned throughout my years is to never give up on your dreams and pursue them no matter what especially when you believe in them.

Look at me rant on. Sorry mate, having a hard time sleeping as ideas keep bouncing in my head.:biglaugh:

Cheers and talk to you soon,

Ali

Keep going mate,with time anything is possible.

Our new business venture will start soon.

Very uphill,time consuming and sailing uncharted waters - but that is part of the fun to us.

I think Ali if you have good editorial standards and professional journalism you'll be streets ahead of the competition straight away! It might be worth contacting the Journalism department at Uni SA http://w3.unisa.edu.au/eas/study/journalism-at-uni-sa.asp or the Media department at University of Adelaide http://www.adelaide.edu.au/degree-finder/bmedi_bmedia.html and seeing if they can give you any pointers

Keep going mate,with time anything is possible.

Our new business venture will start soon.

Very uphill,time consuming and sailing uncharted waters - but that is part of the fun to us.

Good to know Tyke. Can't wait to get some great news from you guys. Isn't it exciting? Even at the early stages, without the product being distributed or a marketing strategy, advertisement...it still is exciting. Soon you'll be fine. Enjoy it mate.:smile:

I think Ali if you have good editorial standards and professional journalism you'll be streets ahead of the competition straight away! It might be worth contacting the Journalism department at Uni SA http://w3.unisa.edu.au/eas/study/journalism-at-uni-sa.asp or the Media department at University of Adelaide http://www.adelaide.edu.au/degree-finder/bmedi_bmedia.html and seeing if they can give you any pointers

Wow Diane,

What an amazing suggestion. Now you have opened up so many more possibilities in my head. Got to get down to it. Start writing and mapping. What you have suggested will certainly give me great insight. Thank you for this.:smile: