• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Bex & Nick

I get 20 days, which is less than in the UK, and technically I am not allowed to take it until after my first 12 months. However, my office is a bit more flexible than our Melbourne Head Office so I can take time off (as long as I have accrued it). In 9 months, I have taken two days A/L. All I can say is that in the UK I would be climbing the walls without a proper holiday. Here, I am far more relaxed and we can go to the beach at the weekend, and in this hot weather we've been going down after work for a dip too!

958 times
      Quote Originally Posted by deborah View Post
      Hi Jessica,

Does that include the bank holidays or are they extra?
      My A/L is currently worked out in hours, I am part time and to make B/H fairer they are pro rata so all calculate in together so all in all I get 33 days pro rata. you have to use A/L if they fall on a day that you normally work.

It is 4 weeks plus Bank Holidays or Public Holidays as they call them here.

I used to be a Personnel Officer in the UK and in my opinion generally workplace terms and conditions are a lot better in the UK. However one advantage Australia has over the UK is that legally (over certain earnings) the employer has to pay 9% of your salary into a super (pension) fund and you contribute nothing, so that has to be taken into account when you look at your salary.

Also sick pay is a lot less. I get 10 paid days sick a year, the legal minimum and offered by a lot of employers but you have to accrue the sick days in the same way you have to accrue annual leave, so for example after 6 months of service I would be entitled to 5 days paid sick.

As for maternity pay, if anyone wants a baby and you have time and need the money, have one in the UK. Where I work you receive no maternity pay at all which again is quite common and even the most generous of employers like the universities often only offer 16 weeks pay. You do get a one off payment though when the baby is born.

Also depending on what job you do, part-time, job sharing etc are not advertised very often unless you work in teaching, nursing or manage to get a job in the Government or Councils.

The trouble is that we have got used to living in the UK which is a nanny state, but Australia is very much a country where if you want something you are expected to pay for it yourself which I think is good because that is part of the problem of the decline in the UK where too many people are taking from the system instead of contributing to the country.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums