Adelaide or Perth

Toneless

It really can depend on what you hope to do work wise once in Aus.

Have you checked the job websites in your field to see what is listed as available in both cities?

I'd be more inclined to go for the area that offers the things you want along with the job market. Perth and Adelaide are different cities and what might suit one won't suit another.

If we were not heading to Adelaide I think we'd be heading to Melbourne somewhere. Perth holds no interest for us to move to.

One downside to Perth is they don't do day light saving ,, meaning in summer months when it's very hot & sticky it gets dark very early around 7 - 8 , where as here in Adelaide we can still be sat on the beach watching the sun going down @ 9 .30 or later ! Just a little thought for you to consider !

One downside to Perth is they don't do day light saving ,, meaning in summer months when it's very hot & sticky it gets dark very early around 7 - 8 , where as here in Adelaide we can still be sat on the beach watching the sun going down @ 9 .30 or later ! Just a little thought for you to consider !

WA has had several referendums concerning daylight saving & each time has been voted 'No' due mainly to the reason you mention. In the summer we are more than pleased for darkness to descend early, rather than late. Perth does have more hours of sunshine than any other State.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies i'm a Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineer. I have been reading through some post and it seems like it's not as busy work wise over there as we thought. As you know it's such a big move i would like to think there will be loads of work when we get there. And thanks for the debate on daylight saving i didn't know that i thought it got dark early every where in oz.

Thanks again

...here in Adelaide we can still be sat on the beach watching the sun going down @ 9 .30 or later ! Just a little thought for you to consider !

Obviously you can sit at the beach at any time of day but you won't watch the sunset at 9:30 or later in Adelaide - the latest it sets is around 8:33 at end of December/early Jan.

Jim

Do you have a preference for either city? Was SA/Adelaide your first choice and/or are you only considering Perth because there may be more work there? Of course the employment aspect is a big thing but so is personal happiness in your choice of location.

If you don't care really where you live between the two at this point in time, in the future it might make all the difference (work aside). Have you done research on both cities and areas surrounding them and all that.

Perhaps visit our sister site, Poms in Oz and have a read of some Perth stuff there. Some are very happy out there, others not. You can read both sides anyways and see what you garner from it.

Re daylight savings, its one thing of many to consider. I personally prefer lighter evenings in summer so of course Adelaide wins on that point. In the UK its lighter far longer in summer than either place in Aus so any difference is probably going to be noticed.

As you said, its a long way to go and of course work is important, but if either city isn't really up your street, you probably won't settle well or maybe will want to move on asap to try elsewhere in Aus (which can be expensive and of course more uprooting etc).

Again, check the job websites throughly and see if your line of work is around much in either city. Perhaps contact some companies via email to get feedback from them also.