Employment Difficulties in Adelaide

Guest Bex & Nick

Guest Bex & Nick

We have been here for 9 months now and I am still struggling to find suitable work. We are now at the point of seriously considering returning to the UK. I guess this post has a dual purpose, to see if anyone has any suggestions and to say to those thinking of making the move that it certainly is not easy to start a new life in a different country. I would qualify the previous comment insofar as to say we love Adelaide and feel that it has a lot to offer. However, without suitable employment staying here is just not feasible for us.

So, here’s the story so far….

I am a qualified company secretary, the core of which means dealing with corporate governance. However, my experience is much wider than this and includes aspects of insurance, contract management, preparing annual reports, managing IP portfolios and much, much more.

I have been to see pretty much every recruitment agent in Adelaide. Experience of recruitment agents to date has been very disappointing. I have applied for several jobs. To date I have not been to an interview with a company (only the agent). There have been situations where the job no longer exists (a bizarre situation – surely a company wouldn’t go to the expense of advertising etc to then not want to interview people). Agents within the same firm do not seem to talk to one another if there is a suitable position advertised. Agents do not phone/email prospective employees to say a suitable position has arisen. This could be due to my job falling between the crack of legal and accounting type positions.

I knew that it would be difficult to find a job before coming out to Adelaide as I never once saw an advertisement for this type of position. However, I did (perhaps naively) think that recruitment agents would be of assistance – this is how it works in the UK. Unfortunately, before coming out to Adelaide recruitment agents were not interested.

There is a definite lack of understanding on the agents’ part and a lack of willingness to consider me for other types of jobs bearing in mind that my skills are highly transferable.

I had a temp contract doing basic administration for 5 months. However, this has not led to anything permanent largely because it was just not the right sort of job and is nowhere near my level of expertise. I am prepared to take a job at a lower level if it will ultimately lead to something better but this wasn’t the case with the temp job.

As the recruitment agents have not been of any assistance, I have independently written to most of the major firms in Adelaide that are of a size to employ a company secretarial department. This has not led to any offers of employment. What has come out of it is a small project that has taken about 15 hours to do and may require a few more hours of involvement. The potential here is to start up a consultancy business but this is not ideal at this time in our lives and does not provide any security.

So, if anyone has any thoughts I would be interested to hear them!

Guest Libby1971

Hi

I am so sorry to hear this. It is no secret that I have had trouble too.

One thing I have learnt is that you need to break down what skills you do have and absolutely state them - giving an example where necessary. I do not think many people here can read between the lines and work out for themselves how to make what you can do transferable to their situation, you really have to do it for them.

If you want to rant and rave, join in. I'll start

:arghh::arghh::realmad::arghh:

Libby

Guest sarahsmartiepants
I would send guzzlerandsas a pm, Sarah will be starting in recruitment next Monday 17th,
Thats good then maybe there will someone who knows how to recruit in recruiting! It seems to me if the applicant doesnt tick all 10 boxes the application is chucked in the bin!

sarah

Guest mOZzy

sorry to hear about your situation!!!!

can't be easy!

have you considered other parts of oz before you chuck everything in and return?!

good luck!!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there Bec & Nick

I am really sorry to hear your story. I have sent you a PM, perhaps we could have a chat next week sometime after I have started.

Regs

SAS

Hi i'm Pam- Sean's better half! we have been in adelaide now for 5 months and i am currently working as a recruitment consultant for Adecco, i would really love to see your resume as i am currently recruiting for a PA based at Christies Beach working for a Mortgage brokers,i only got the position today and they are looking for a member of staff who can run the office, and who would like to prgress upto a mortgage advisorit sounds like a very interesting position, and i would love to help out a fellow pom!! you can email me your resume to pamela.evenson@adecco.com.au, and i will ring you to come down to see me and maybe have a brew or two!! good luck i truly hope to hear from you soon. Pam.

We lived in Adelaide for 3 years and eventually had to give up because of the work situation, moved to Melbourne then on to Brisbane, where with hindsight we should have gone in the frst place. Why not try Brissie, I have been criticised for saying this but feel that if people really want to make asuccess of emigrating you have to have work and need to go somewhere that is likely to have more opportunities. Realistically the best places for work are Sydney and Melbourne, but in my opinion the quality of life in Brissie is better than both these but obviously at the cost of having fewer opportunities. Why not give it a go, we left it too late and the damage was done. Good luck