****Desperately in need of work!!****

Guest OnTour

Just wondering if anyone is having as much trouble as I am finding work??

I am 23 & have four years experience in freight forwarding, customer service and admin, but I cannot catch a break?

It can't be that nowhere is hiring, yet everywhere I have emailed or called has advised me they are not hiring, or I hear nothing back?? Is this the norm??

:confused:

My husband is a fully qualified engineer (cnc) and been out of work for a while, applies for anything and everything and 9 times out of 10 hears nothing!! Its now gettin to a worrying stage!! One thing we have found out is even if you job is supposedly in demand here and on the critical skills list there is hardly any work here for him in SA !! Not easy but hopefully things will pick up after xmas ! Good luck wit your job hunting ;-)

I was on the same boat (marketing management 7 years, restaurant management 3 years, staff training forever) but wasn't getting anything. I decided to go for a walk in the city and take any job I could find and I got the first job I applied for and started within a week. Now I've been working for K-Food Express for two weeks and come Wednesday will be paid for my second week with them. No its not my dream job but hey its paying the bills and putting food in my stomach. My advice to you (I got here on the 21rst of October 2012) is to sign with as many agencies as you can and at the same time go out there and find a job for the time being. I know how you feel, believe me I wasn't hearing anything GOOD but hey you've done customer service. You can try and find a job in retail by walking around the city hopefully.

All the best of luck to you and the others searching for a job out there. Hope to hear good news from you very soon. :smile:

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

Guest Crushfamily

Ali, I did something similar - it paid off for me. It has paid off for you but as others have said the sky is the limit with this attitude. Good on you! I found the agencies a complete waste of time - they promise the earth and deliver nothing!

Ali, it's guys like you, with your can do attitude, that deserve only good things in life. You're a star mate... and I hope your dream job falls into your lap at the earliest opportunity.:notworthy:

Thank you:smile: I wish the same for you mate and all the others out there. Hope to see you soon.:smile:

Ali, I did something similar - it paid off for me. It has paid off for you but as others have said the sky is the limit with this attitude. Good on you! I found the agencies a complete waste of time - they promise the earth and deliver nothing!

The way I figure, if you're out there and working and delivering excellent and heartfelt service to customers and colleagues of whatever organization you're working for you will become a well known name and many recruiters or companies would like to shake your hand and put your signature on contracts. Thank you for your kind support.:smile:

Just wondering if anyone is having as much trouble as I am finding work??

I am 23 & have four years experience in freight forwarding, customer service and admin, but I cannot catch a break?

It can't be that nowhere is hiring, yet everywhere I have emailed or called has advised me they are not hiring, or I hear nothing back?? Is this the norm??

:confused:

This is normal. Having come from a HR background in the UK the recruitment 'process' in Adelaide takes some getting used to!!!

In general Nov, Dec, Jan are the worst times to be looking for work, Adelaide usually comes to a standstill in terms of taking people on. At the moment the job market is very slow, the worst I have seen it in the nearly 6 years we have been here. However, you never know when an opportunity will arise and I have secured a temp role to start on Monday, which is a welcome surprise being so close to Christmas.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Ali, it's guys like you, with your can do attitude, that deserve only good things in life. You're a star mate... and I hope your dream job falls into your lap at the earliest opportunity.:notworthy:

I absolutely agree. Ali you have the right attitude and approach in my opinion. The other week I did a temp data entry assignment. The agency needed someone at short notice who they could rely on and they rang me, even though I usually work in another area they said they knew I would help them out and I did. I have now secured another long term temp assignment $11+ more a hour than the data entry assignment, but in that interview I used an example from the temp data entry assignment. I never turn my nose up at a job or a task I am asked to do, because you never know what you will learn from it or where it will lead to.

Part of the trouble is that you need a TAFE certificate to be considered able to do anything here. It's like no-one can visualise working life without some stupid piece of paper that states the obvious. Wanna drive a truck? Sorry - your HR licence that you've had for bloody ages doesn't count as you don't have a Cert 3 in Road Transport. Wanna stack shelves for Woollies? Sorry - you don't have a Cert 2 in Shelf Replenishment.

It's all a load of old bollocks that's made even worse by being considered "unsuitable" for the job by some smacktard muppet who has never been anywhere near the job they're recruiting for.

Hi Guys, adam internet in the city is looking for casuals, might not be loads of hours but if you excel you can quickly find yourself with 38 hrs a week and then option of full time. pay is $26 per hr going upto $28.00 or $30.00 at weekends. Covering letter and CV required. Good look. RLC. 5 yrs in Radelaide

Guest Costa13
I was on the same boat (marketing management 7 years, restaurant management 3 years, staff training forever) but wasn't getting anything. I decided to go for a walk in the city and take any job I could find and I got the first job I applied for and started within a week. Now I've been working for K-Food Express for two weeks and come Wednesday will be paid for my second week with them. No its not my dream job but hey its paying the bills and putting food in my stomach. My advice to you (I got here on the 21rst of October 2012) is to sign with as many agencies as you can and at the same time go out there and find a job for the time being. I know how you feel, believe me I wasn't hearing anything GOOD but hey you've done customer service. You can try and find a job in retail by walking around the city hopefully.

All the best of luck to you and the others searching for a job out there. Hope to hear good news from you very soon. :smile:

Ali

Hey Ali,

I am in Adelaide on a 475 State Sponsored Visa, arrived on 22nd October 2012,but can't seem to find any work.:arghh: I am open to any job that would allow me to fulfill the one year full time work condition of my visa, even if it's casual work. I just wanted to ask you if you could let me know if there are any opening at k-food express? I would really appreciate it. I tried what you did, went for a walk around Adelaide and asked if stores were hiring, but even grocery stores seem to want relevant experienced people or they tell you to apply online. Done that but no response. Any advice/assistance you can give me would be great. I'm based at St. Peters, SA. Thanks a ton!

Guest Costa13
If your down south the company where I work is almost always hiring for factory floor operators. Money is quite good for factory work.

if your interested visit Randstad on south road, Morphett Vale and ask to register for SMR Automotive.

Hey!

Thanks so much. Will definitely check it out.

Hey Ali,

I am in Adelaide on a 475 State Sponsored Visa, arrived on 22nd October 2012,but can't seem to find any work.:arghh: I am open to any job that would allow me to fulfill the one year full time work condition of my visa, even if it's casual work. I just wanted to ask you if you could let me know if there are any opening at k-food express? I would really appreciate it. I tried what you did, went for a walk around Adelaide and asked if stores were hiring, but even grocery stores seem to want relevant experienced people or they tell you to apply online. Done that but no response. Any advice/assistance you can give me would be great. I'm based at St. Peters, SA. Thanks a ton!

Sure mate. Tell you what, if you like you can come by the store and give me a copy of your resume and I'll hand it over to the head office. They might be looking right now but I'm not sure. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll let you know where and what hours I'm working so we can meet.

Ali