Lyell McEwin Hospital

Guest wilky

Guest wilky

Hi to everyone I'm new to the whole process of migrating to SA I've been offered a job at Lyell McEwin Hospital wondered if anyone could give me any feedback on this hospital good or bad.

Thanks Tina

The Lyell Mac is not a bad hospital in its self. It has a paeds ward, an emerg, maternity, plus general med and surg wards. Security is high, particularly in the staff car parks, which is surrounded by a very high wire fence. The hospital services a community which in the main has high unemployment, low education levels, large numbers of associated health probs. Of course these are not the only people seen here. It is a public hospital on the edge of Elizabeth, I think its in Elizabeth Vale. Elizabeth Vale, grove, Nth, Sth etc is a large housing trust area (council estate)You could find ok places to live about 10 to 30 mins away, either North in gawler or going closer into the city . I have never worked there but have dropped off patients when we transfer them back. I haven't heard any complaints about working conditions. If you have been offered a job there, take it have a look then you can always move to a different hospital if you don't like it.

Guest alan smallman

Hi Tina

Pauline and I are going out in May for 2 weeks. We hope to have a couple of interviews (we're waiting for the agency to set them up. But we'll als be going around looking at others and asking a few questions as we do. I've heard that Wakefield is a nice hospital to work for (it's a private organisation) and they look after their staff quite well. I'm just negotiating a 6 month secondment in A&E at Skegness for the summer!!!! Something to look forward to aye? I would be interested in how it pans out for you though Tina. Please keep us posted. Is that Sedgeley in The Black Country?

Cheers

Alan

Guest wilky

Hi Alan and Pauline thanks for the reply, I hope your trip in May goes well I would be interested in your opinion on any of the hospitals in Adelaide. Are you both nurses? Im an oncology nurse at present but would consider changing speciality if the right job came along. I have been reading the threads on this site and I am taking some of the advice. Im registering with NBSA first then applying for modified assessment with the ANMC and then applying for a 175 visa. Hope to hear about your trip and good luck in Skeggy. Yes we are from Sedgley in the Black Country. Tina

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jo jo

Hi Tina

I m from the midlands too! I ve also been offered a post at Llyell McEwin Hospital :oLike yourselve I m trying to find some info about it.I know its not the best place to live but the surrounding areas are good, I would love to get in contact if you are still interested in going,Currently my reg etc are being processed.Are you going with your family?

Jo

Hi Tina &Jo

My partner has secured a job in intensive care at the Llyell McEwin hospital and is currently having her registration processed after the long delay from the Nursing Board here.

We to are looking for the better places to live in Adelaide but as you probobly know what is good for one is not necessary good for another.

We are of to the Ausie Expo Fair on Sunday in London to see what is available for me. I work for Networkrail but somehow I cannot see them having any vacancies on their railways but I don't mind going over there first and then look for work.

Steve

Guest alan smallman

Cheers Steve.

Thanks for your reply. i used to work in ICU. It's an option for me perhaps when I go out there. I think what counts for me is the fact that, from the feedback, that you are supported at work, and from what I can gather, it's not just nursing so, hopefully if you do have to entertain a career change (though what do i know about 'over there?) then you should get on ok wherever you end up. I remember trying to get in Lincolnshire (my missus too was the one with the nursing experience). She told me about a job going in Operating Theatres for a HCSW. I put in for it and got it!! 10 years down the line and I'm a staff nurse. I am often reminded of what I used to say to Pauline when she'd return home from a shift; "huh. you'd never catch me wiping other people's bottoms".......and the rest (as they say) is history!!! Hope you find whatever suits you and that you love it as much as I do nursing! good luck at the expo. If you have to look for work out there, who knows what you'll find yourself getting into. good Luck again.

Alan

• 8 months later...

as a nurse myself i have only been in adelaide for 6 months. In that time i have worked in a private hospital. From my own experience and talking extensively to nurses i work with and alot of agency nurses, the consensus apears to be that nursing conditions in public hospitals are much better than private. I do noy have any experience at this hospital. Agency nursing here seems to pay very well though :)

(be careful if you are a pr visa holder and tie yourself in to working through an agency , contracts can often have a financial clause if you decide to move on to another workplace)

Guest massive

Hi

don't know much about th hospital but live in Gawler at the mo buiding in hewett with people who work at the hospital am finding it a great place to live with a good school that my children attend for $4000 very reasonable trinity colledge for 2 children per year

• 1 year later...

As a nurse who has worked extensivley in many Adelaide hospitals I feel I am able to give some advice! The Lyell McEwin Hospital is a large teaching hospital that offers a huge range of services including oncology, radiotherapy, cardiology with cath lab, emergency services, surgical and medical to name a few - it is basically becoming the RAH of the northern suburbs (the RAH - Royal Adelaide Hospital being the big take/trauma hospital in Adelaide) The Lyell Mc has an excellent record for education and support of their nursing staff and you would gain alot of experience in any area you choose to work. Yes! It is situated in an area of low socioeconomics and some clients can be a challenge, but this can be said for many other areas (they just dont get the bad rap the Norther Suburbs do). The Northern Suburbs, though considered low socioeconomic, has a progressive mentality and is actually at the forefront of many innovations, one being recycling water and refuse. The hospital is state of the art and has recently been upgraded and refitted - some works still on-going. Elizabeth and surrounding suburbs are great places to live with a community atmosphere; yes there are housing trust homes but also many mortgaged homes as the area is actually having more and more people move into it and the future looks very good for these suburbs. I grew up in Elizabeth - moved interstate and have lived in a number of Adelaide suburbs before returning to the north, buying a home in Salisbury before moving to Kudla (near Gawler) 2 years ago. Please do not discount the Llyell McEwin as an employer as you may vey well miss out on an excellent opportunity. I personally would work at the Lyell McEwin befor I worked at the RAH - you are not just a nimber at the Llyell Mc but a valued and integral member of staff, unlike the RAH!

Guest fluxsta
As a nurse who has worked extensivley in many Adelaide hospitals I feel I am able to give some advice! The Lyell McEwin Hospital is a large teaching hospital that offers a huge range of services including oncology, radiotherapy, cardiology with cath lab, emergency services, surgical and medical to name a few - it is basically becoming the RAH of the northern suburbs (the RAH - Royal Adelaide Hospital being the big take/trauma hospital in Adelaide) The Lyell Mc has an excellent record for education and support of their nursing staff and you would gain alot of experience in any area you choose to work. Yes! It is situated in an area of low socioeconomics and some clients can be a challenge, but this can be said for many other areas (they just dont get the bad rap the Norther Suburbs do). The Northern Suburbs, though considered low socioeconomic, has a progressive mentality and is actually at the forefront of many innovations, one being recycling water and refuse. The hospital is state of the art and has recently been upgraded and refitted - some works still on-going. Elizabeth and surrounding suburbs are great places to live with a community atmosphere; yes there are housing trust homes but also many mortgaged homes as the area is actually having more and more people move into it and the future looks very good for these suburbs. I grew up in Elizabeth - moved interstate and have lived in a number of Adelaide suburbs before returning to the north, buying a home in Salisbury before moving to Kudla (near Gawler) 2 years ago. Please do not discount the Llyell McEwin as an employer as you may vey well miss out on an excellent opportunity. I personally would work at the Lyell McEwin befor I worked at the RAH - you are not just a nimber at the Llyell Mc but a valued and integral member of staff, unlike the RAH!

Hi,

Do they have mental health facilities/services there? Also, do they sponsor 457 visas do you know?

many thanks

Hi,

Do they have mental health facilities/services there? Also, do they sponsor 457 visas do you know?

many thanks

Yes! The Llyell McEwin has an extensive and brand new department and is the major take hospital for psych pts in the northern suburbs with 24/7 support and its own ambulance bay separate from the ED dept. Regarding the visa I am pretty sure that they do sponsor but don't quote me on this! :cute:

Guest Peachie

Hi if you are offered a perminant job I would rip their hand off as many hospitals are only offering casual jobs at the mo we have had several great well qualified poms nurses shown around our unit (QEH ICU) but only could be offered casual posts a friend off mine has worked there for 15 months and is still waiting for a perm job to be availble on a more possitive note my pay and work conditions are much better than the NHS wouln't prob could't face going back now as have forgoton how to deal with high levels of stress every shift x:biglaugh: