Desperately seeking work

Guest boesman

Guest boesman

One of my best friends has lost his job a while ago and is so far unable to find anything. He has registered with lots of agencies and promises promises, but nothing comes up. His wife is doing cleaning work, but now they have fallen behind with their rent and if they don't come up with it before monday, they will be evicted.

I was just wondering where else could he look to find work? He is a project manager, but can do bookkeeping/admin. He is willing to do anything as long as money is coming in. I think it is horrible to get news to evict with no where else to go just before Christmas. Unfortunately their visa doesn't allow much benefits from Centrelink and their funds have run out now after nearly two years of on and off work without finding a proper job.

Any ideas or advice will be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers

cant really help much but i would say (hes probably doing this but) check gumtree at various times of the day as jobs are uploaded all the time, also get him to advertise on it (free) in the wanted section saying he will put his hand to anything.....often people look on there when they need someone to labour for the day or something like that..

Hope he finds something soon

Jo

Guest boesman
Get your friend to contact the St Vincent de Paul society, a charity, who work wonders. Also Housing SA offer excellent advice and support. They have an office in Marion.

Thanks so much for all the answers here. Will defo pass this on.

Guest jonny no cash

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this.

It's a bad time of the year to secure employment...except casual employment. Lots of the stores are desperate for casuals over the Christmas and new year period and there may be a few weeks work...just walk inside and ask..they often don't have notices in the windows.

My OH mentioned to me last night that the hardware chain that he works at will be taking on 12 people...but only from January. It's an online application. The casual pay rate is around $24 per hour and a contract rate is $19. He couldn't get work in his field (4 years ago) and just decided to get a job, any job, to bring some dollars in. Just look upon any type of employment as stop gap employment until the right position comes up in their area of expertise.

Hope that it works out.

Tamara