Carpenter in search of Sponsorship...

Guest gormusoglu

Guest gormusoglu

Hi all in Adelaide!

My husband is looking for a carpenter job in Adelaide with sponsorship (457), and was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that might sponsor him or have sponsored before or looking for workers?

He has a wealth of experience in all aspects of carpentry, mostly commercial, and is hardworking and reliable, (i'm sure that's what they all say, but he really is!! lol)

We have been trying to find work via Seek and careerone etc. but with no luck. People have said you have to tap into the 'hidden job market', but I can tell you it is really hidden as i can't find it lol! We can feel our dream slipping away from us so if anyone has any information or leads then please post them for us.

Thanks in advance...

Desperate in Bracknell......

Guest gormusoglu

Hi thanks for replying, even if it is a bit on the negative side as I expected. Yes, this is what we are finding. Do you feel it is slow just because it's january, or has it been slow for a while?

Guest gormusoglu

Hi thanks for replying. Have looked at state sponsorship, but not sure it will help us at all, will it? To apply for state sponsorship via skill select, you have to have your skills assesed and that costs £2000.

Guest Guest11535

Unfortunately it's a cost tradies have to foot, also a bit of an uphill climb. Once the skill assessment has been completed you can apply for SS if the trade is still on the SOL/CSOL list. Good luck.

Best Regards,

garyupnorth

Guest milne family

I have to agree with all the above unfortunatly. Having been through this in the last few years, im a carpenter and soon found out that the only way to go was the lengthy skills assesment route, but as i did all the paperwork myself i did save myself a good bit of money on that. It is expensive but after you do it you can try for sponsership from SA. Good luck and give me a shout if i can offer any advice. :)

Guest gormusoglu

Thanks guys, but the SS visa needs 65 points and that is why we are going down the employer sponsorship route. My husband is 47, so is too old for the SS visa. We come up with 15 points short. If it was a case of getting skilled assesed and then applying for the state sponsorship that would be ok, we would do it. But I have spoken to imigration and the state sponsorship does not help you get a job, it just means that the area wants your skills (as far as i can understand it).

Well, looks like our dream is over then, as although the 457 is not impossible, there is only a very slim chance of finding an employer.

Thanks everyone...

Guest miknlou

Does this extend to the mechanics trade? Im currently looking at the 457 route. That said I have been running my own Garage and Insurance assessing company here for the last ten years too, so have further skills to offer.

Any ideas?

Guest gormusoglu

Hi Miknlou, I have seen loads of jobs for car mechanics, even with sponsorship advertised. I'm sure i just typed in sponsored jobs to australia in google and they came up along with chefs and hairdressers. Hope this helps

I see the same job adverts for car mechanics advertised over and over again. There is a real shortage of qualified mechanics. I came over on a 157 visa and the only thing they were interested in was the Apprenticeship and qualifications I did 20 years ago!

I got a job here within a week of arriving.

I only wish I'd trained as a HGV or plant mechanic as the salary is much higher, but I'm not complaining, I live next to the beach in a fantastic place and having run my own business for 10 years in the UK, I am loving the 8.30-5pm 5 day working week with no stress.

Happy Days!

Steve

Guest miknlou

Thanks for the info Steve_H

I have been looking this weekend, and it does look promising.

If you hear of anyone sponsoring, I would appreciate a nudge.

I have amended my CV so will start sending it out this week.

Thanks again

mick