700 job applications for 40 casual jobs!!!!

While compared to the UK, Europe and America our economy is in fairly good shape, it is still a tough time to be looking for work....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/demand-high-for-harris-scarfe-jobs/story-e6frea83-1226558111022

There are still skills that are in demand in certain job roles and sectors who will be snapped up straight away, but there are also many areas that have experienced a downturn. I personally was looking for work mid year 2012 and it took me longer to find work this time than any other time in the 6 years we have been here.

I spoke to an agency contact who I get on well with and they were telling me that other recruitment agencies are making staff redundant or they are on reduced hours as there is just not the work out there for them to be chasing and recruiting to.

I think it is important that people realise that you may not walk straight into work (but some will) and to keep this in mind.

I agree - I don't think the jobs market is very good out there at the moment, and people need to be aware.

For example, there is a glass factory on Port Road which, amongst other things, makes bottles. Recently there were redundancies there. And lo and behold, pallets of coca-cola bottles are now being imported (via the Emirates flights from Dubai, not sure what the country of origin is) because they are cheaper to import than make here. Plus Penrice soda plant is to shut down (Australia's only soda ash and bicarbonate maker), as it is cheaper to get the stuff from abroad.

Australian manufacturing and retail sectors are going to the wall because of the high Aussie Dollar, and the situation is only going to get worse. Australia may look a better prospect than the UK at the moment, but things are definately on the the way down here. You have been warned !!!!

Guest Guest5035

coke actually make their own plastic bottles in there bottling plant at thebarton, they have their own blow moulders to make them...they started a year ago and is actually a big money earner, and forgot to add that the brewery up the road is expanding shortly too, gearing up for more workers,

stevo

Edited by Guest5035

While compared to the UK, Europe and America our economy is in fairly good shape, it is still a tough time to be looking for work....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/demand-high-for-harris-scarfe-jobs/story-e6frea83-1226558111022

There are still skills that are in demand in certain job roles and sectors who will be snapped up straight away, but there are also many areas that have experienced a downturn. I personally was looking for work mid year 2012 and it took me longer to find work this time than any other time in the 6 years we have been here.

I spoke to an agency contact who I get on well with and they were telling me that other recruitment agencies are making staff redundant or they are on reduced hours as there is just not the work out there for them to be chasing and recruiting to.

I think it is important that people realise that you may not walk straight into work (but some will) and to keep this in mind.

I think this is so true - I have just got a job (start tomorrow) and have been looking since I arrived late October (am a PA). A mix of not very much to apply for and then when there is something, apparently they get so many applicants that I think that I don't get a look in having no aussie experience. Registered with 4 agencies and only one interview through them and 3 of those 4 have never even had anything to discuss with me let alone it leading to an interview. It's very hard going and your finances take a beating. I am just relieved that this job has come up otherwise I am not sure what my plan was going to be ....

I did arrive at a bad time, I knew it would be slow coming up to Christmas but in my head 'slow' was getting some temp work and maybe waiting a month to 6 weeks for work, but I would describe the job market here as 'dead' for Nov/Dec/Jan and if I were doing it again, I would absolutely NOT arrive when I did - but that's hindsight for you! I don't know whether people want to be nice to you before you arrive, but when I asked some aussie friends of mine when I was making my plans about when to arrive, they said it would be slow but should still be okay - once I was here and struggling to find work, those same people were saying well... really nothing happens Nov-Jan, it probably won't pick up until after Australia Day.... ???? Completely different and where was that useful advice when I first asked??

Thankfully real life starts again tomorrow! Obviously everyone has a different experience, but I would definitely go along with OP on this one....

I think this is so true - I have just got a job (start tomorrow) and have been looking since I arrived late October (am a PA). A mix of not very much to apply for and then when there is something, apparently they get so many applicants that I think that I don't get a look in having no aussie experience. Registered with 4 agencies and only one interview through them and 3 of those 4 have never even had anything to discuss with me let alone it leading to an interview. It's very hard going and your finances take a beating. I am just relieved that this job has come up otherwise I am not sure what my plan was going to be ....

I did arrive at a bad time, I knew it would be slow coming up to Christmas but in my head 'slow' was getting some temp work and maybe waiting a month to 6 weeks for work, but I would describe the job market here as 'dead' for Nov/Dec/Jan and if I were doing it again, I would absolutely NOT arrive when I did - but that's hindsight for you! I don't know whether people want to be nice to you before you arrive, but when I asked some aussie friends of mine when I was making my plans about when to arrive, they said it would be slow but should still be okay - once I was here and struggling to find work, those same people were saying well... really nothing happens Nov-Jan, it probably won't pick up until after Australia Day.... ???? Completely different and where was that useful advice when I first asked??

Thankfully real life starts again tomorrow! Obviously everyone has a different experience, but I would definitely go along with OP on this one....

Thank you for sharing this experience. The recruitment agencies are all competing for the same work a lot of the time. One morning I had 3 agencies contact me about the same temp job that they wanted to put me forward for. You are spot on with your observations regarding finding work Nov-Jan, although this year it has been far worse and it has been absolutely dead in terms of office work.

I have found in the 5 years I have been posting on poms there had been a shift in peoples attitudes. When I first used to post regarding jobs/careers people only wanted to hear nice things and that the minute they stepped onto the tarmac at Adelaide airport they would be offered a job. People are now open to a more realistic view and willing to listen to advice, even if it is not what they necessarily want to hear.

Don't get me wrong there are still sectors where you will get snapped up quickly, my partner works in IT and his career has gone from strength to strength since we arrived. With the skills and experience he has he can get a job very quickly.

Good luck with the new job.

coke actually make their own plastic bottles in there bottling plant at thebarton, they have their own blow moulders to make them...they started a year ago and is actually a big money earner, and forgot to add that the brewery up the road is expanding shortly too, gearing up for more workers,

stevo

She did say Glass bottle not plastic..

Guest Guest5035
She did say Glass bottle not plastic..

correct me if i'm wrong...post number 2 she wrote..."pallets of coca-cola bottles"..:wideeyed: Coke i think import a small number of 390ml bottles from overseas, probably from Dubai where they are made for Coke..

Stevo

Thank you for sharing this experience. The recruitment agencies are all competing for the same work a lot of the time. One morning I had 3 agencies contact me about the same temp job that they wanted to put me forward for. You are spot on with your observations regarding finding work Nov-Jan, although this year it has been far worse and it has been absolutely dead in terms of office work.

I have found in the 5 years I have been posting on poms there had been a shift in peoples attitudes. When I first used to post regarding jobs/careers people only wanted to hear nice things and that the minute they stepped onto the tarmac at Adelaide airport they would be offered a job. People are now open to a more realistic view and willing to listen to advice, even if it is not what they necessarily want to hear.

Don't get me wrong there are still sectors where you will get snapped up quickly, my partner works in IT and his career has gone from strength to strength since we arrived. With the skills and experience he has he can get a job very quickly.

Good luck with the new job.

Thank you!! I have definitely got the impression from the people I have spoken to here (about office work mainly, but work in general too) that this past Xmas period has been much worse than usual, which of course would have been impossible to predict. I think you are right in that generally we all do want to hear the positive things because we are so excited about coming, but the reality is that we need to know exactly what to expect..... it's good that people are more open to this.

I also thought that if no temp work came up that it would be no problem to pick up some casual work in a coffee shop or supermarket, and was proved wrong.... Overqualified for supermarkets and coffee shops not willing to give you a go as they suspect (and they are right) that you are just filling in time until a 'real' job comes along.

It's a learning curve for sure, and I hope by writing/sharing this I'll save at least one other (hopefully more) migrant from potentially making the same mistake I did! :-)

correct me if i'm wrong...post number 2 she wrote..."pallets of coca-cola bottles"..:wideeyed: Coke i think import a small number of 390ml bottles from overseas, probably from Dubai where they are made for Coke..

Stevo

"She" speaking...... I was writing about the glass factory and the pallets contain glass bottles... not sure what the confusion is....

My point is that it seems ridiculous that Australian workers are losing their jobs and factories are cutting production, when low-value items like glass bottles are being flown half way round the world. It's not a good situation whatever way you look at it, for jobs or for the environment.

Edited by Anne B

Stevo

"For example, there is a glass factory on Port Road which, amongst other things, makes bottles. Recently there were redundancies there. And lo and behold, pallets of coca-cola bottles are now being imported (via the Emirates flights from Dubai, not sure what the country of origin is) because they are cheaper to import than make here"

The clue was at the start :wink:

Jo

Guest Guest5035
"For example, there is a glass factory on Port Road which, amongst other things, makes bottles. Recently there were redundancies there. And lo and behold, pallets of coca-cola bottles are now being imported (via the Emirates flights from Dubai, not sure what the country of origin is) because they are cheaper to import than make here"

The clue was at the start :wink:

Jo

I realise that, for the glass factory to run short runs is not viable, hence coke will import small volumes from its sister factory in Dubai

stevo

Thank you!! I have definitely got the impression from the people I have spoken to here (about office work mainly, but work in general too) that this past Xmas period has been much worse than usual, which of course would have been impossible to predict. I think you are right in that generally we all do want to hear the positive things because we are so excited about coming, but the reality is that we need to know exactly what to expect..... it's good that people are more open to this.

I also thought that if no temp work came up that it would be no problem to pick up some casual work in a coffee shop or supermarket, and was proved wrong.... Overqualified for supermarkets and coffee shops not willing to give you a go as they suspect (and they are right) that you are just filling in time until a 'real' job comes along.

It's a learning curve for sure, and I hope by writing/sharing this I'll save at least one other (hopefully more) migrant from potentially making the same mistake I did! :-)

I was doing temp work for about a year in 2005 and made the mistake of deciding to take Christmas/New Year off not realising that it is slow during that time - although I suppose in hindsight it definitnely makes sense. But it took me until mid February to find another temp job. Government "temp" jobs don't usually open up until late early February as a lot of people on leave - so I think the timing is the same myself.

I think also that there is an issue with casual employers (supermarkets, cafes etc) who would rather employ a younger person (school-aged or student) because then they have to pay less per hour. I think I'm right in saying the employer has to pay award rates based on both the job and the age of the person filling it, so it obviously makes better economic sense to have someone younger, given the choice, and of course during school and uni holidays there are plenty of job-seekers to choose from.

I was reading about the practice of tipping: in some places, such as America, basic wages for someone waiting tables (for example) are very low, hence tipping is more or less expected and needed to supplement this, whereas here tipping is less expected because the wages/hourly rate is much higher, even for a youngster.

I realise that, for the glass factory to run short runs is not viable, hence coke will import small volumes from its sister factory in Dubai

stevo

I understand what you are saying Steve, but it does seem ridiculous to be flying bulky low-cost items like glass bottles half way round the world - it makes sense to air-freight high-value electronic goods etc but glass bottles! I'm sure we all know how much it costs to send a suitcase for example by air - it ain't cheap! It is a sad state of affairs that these bottles can't be sourced from within Australia, and just shows how uncompetitive Australian industry has become, with the high Aussie dollar and high labour costs (and the carbon tax etc, which Penrice are blaming for their closure. So all we do is lose jobs here, but the pollution doesn't go away - it just moves to another country, or increases because everything has to be flown in by air now!!). Which all points to jobs becoming harder to find. The economy is going to get worse before it gets better.

Going back to the main topic, many people are trying Australia as in UK the title would read 7,000 chasing 40 unskilled jobs. I beleive in making yourself wanted by employers with good qualifications, good working record and experience and being smart, presentable and pleasant. There are too many people who beleive the world owes them a living and a quick hop to Australia and life is a beach, money growing on trees, everybody working 2 hours a day and always sun, beach and barbies.

The current UK climate has shaken many qualified people including myself into realising your job is not always safe and sh1t can happen to you. I'm fortunate and have never spent a day unemployed however I'm still willing to take the risk of moving as I beleive greater opportunities exist in Australia both personally and professionally.

Beleive me most people with common sense are moving with their eyes wide open to the difficult jobs market, financial losses due to strong $ and stresses from leaving family and friends.

S

Ps, don't like coke in either plastic or glass bottles, devils drink!!:swoon:

Guest Guest5035
There are too many people who beleive the world owes them a living and a quick hop to Australia and life is a beach, money growing on trees, everybody working 2 hours a day and always sun, beach and barbies.

Ps, don't like coke in either plastic or glass bottles, devils drink!!:swoon:

i wish i worked 2 hours a day, i could then enjoy my jim beam and coke:err:

stevo

A recruitment agency contacted me this week and we had a chat and they painted the same picture saying things have been very slow for the past 6 months. The agencies will still advertise though for people, even though they have nothing, on the off chance something comes in and they want to be the first to get peoples resumes to the client. It can be hard for new migrants/job seekers because they see the adverts and think there is work out there.

I recently went to 3 agencies (as the employer) looking for someone and within a couple of hours of speaking to them 2 out of the 3 agencies had placed adverts on seek about the temp role (although I am sure they would have had people on their books). One of them put in the advert 'possible extension of contract' when there had never been a discussion about this and I had given them specific dates the temp assignment was for.

Just be careful what promises are made to you and keep your bullsh*t radar on full alert!!! :biglaugh: