Registering as a teacher

SwanseaJack

Hi all

Can anyOne help me please. I hope to get my visa by the end of next week. The end of a very stressful 13 months.

I have gained a sponsorship as a primary teacher. I have been a teacher for 17 years. I am aware that I need to pass some tests when I get there in order to get a job as a teacher. So I wanted to know:-

* what are the tests

* is there a cost and if so how much?

* how long to the test take ( to sit them, get the results and be eligible to teach in SA)

* can I do them prior to entering Australia

* is there any way you can apply for jobs before entering Australia and do an interview on Skype

* are the teaching prospects good in Australia

Sure I will think of more questions over the next few weeks.

can't wait to go just need to sell my house!!!!!!

Thanks Kathy

Hello there!

There are no tests as such. You need to gain the Mandatory notification of abuse certificate by doing a days course which can only be done when you are here to be able to register as a teacher in SA. There are a couple of organisations that do it but I went with CEASA. Once you have the certificate and certified copies of certificates and transcripts you can submit for your registration. You will also need to do a first aid course to actually teach but not for registration. You can book both of these online from the UK. Getting a job iis very hit and miss but generally you do supply work and get yourself known and respected and then pick up more long term work from this. This is called TRT work. You can register with agencies like Ranstad and Switch but also do your own work direct to schools (DECD) work. All the best.

My understanding from talking to teachers is that primary work in Adelaide can be hard to come by unless its supply work.

Apparently if you are prepared to go more regional, to smaller towns etc a ways away from Adelaide you can find more permanent posts. Then build up a good rep etc and try back to Adelaide once you've done a couple of years in the sticks.

My hubby has just registered with the teachers registration board for south Australia. For us it was slightly different as he was already registered in New Zealand, mandatory courses are booked for when we arrive- they cost about £100 each. To register its $325 but you will have to pay more as the need a qualifications assessment.

the trb were really helpful and replied to emails very quickly. The courses are available from a number of different places and details of websites etc are on the registration board website.

my hubby plans to do voluntary and apply work and has been told by a number of SA heads that as a male teaching upper primary (he is head of upper school in uk) he will have no probs getting work.

Ultimately, you have to back yourself and take enough funds to cover you in the short term. He is flexible where he works (altough we wont be going into the sticks) and is currently registering with the supply pools that they have around the city so fingers crossed.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adelaide_bound

You need to get your UK qualifications assessed again as well, unfortunately (the AITSL skills assessment doesn't count for SA TRB, they want to do it themselves again - grrr). It costs $100 (or possibly $110, sorry I forgot what the guy on the phone said last week! Scatterbrain right now), so about £70? You need copies of all your transcripts etc again, and to have them certified (one of the reasons I'm doing this now I'm in Oz, rather than before we left, as you can get them certified for no cost out here from a JoP etc, rather than the several hundred it would have cost for all the many many bits of paper they wanted to charge back in the UK), then fill in a form (paper based) and send it off/take it into the offices with the payment (card or cash), and it takes about 6 weeks to process at the moment - you can do this bit from the UK though if you want - download the form from the SA TRB website, get all your certs/transcripts etc copied and certified again, and pop it all in the post to over here - if you phone them they are really helpful :).

Once that comes back you can then lodge the registration, which should only take a week or so to go through (as above, you need to do the Mandatory training before you can register, along with your qualifications assessed, so you can only do this bit once you get over here), and do the first aid course at some point to enable you to actually teach (although its not compulsory for the registration bit). Like the others say as well, TRT (supply) seems to be the way to go, although I've heard of people getting positions from the UK before they came out, sorry I don't know the details etc - I'm just going to do relief work via an agency whilst I sort out my head etc I think

HTH a bit more :D I might be doing this in a few weeks, will keep peeps on here updated (it sort of depends on a few things at the moment...)

Edited by Adelaide_bound

• 3 weeks later...
Guest waltzingmatilda

Hi Swanseajack, your situation sounds very similar to mine! I have been teaching for 17 years (primary) and I hope to get my visa soon, my OH meds were referred in December so just waiting really. We have sold our house and having to live with the parents as we were told the meds would be 8 weeks, its now 14 weeks! I was able to get my skills assessed by the TRB whilst here in England (got the all clear last week, this took 6 weeks) but the next stage, the registration part, can't be done until you get to SA as you have to take a 1 day child protection course or something like that! Anyway, all ready to board that plane once the visa comes!!!!! Have you got yours yet?? :biggrin:

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi,

i'm a primary teacher and I'm just starting the process. However some of my original documents are in the container being shipped over so I can't get my skills assessed(again ggrrrr!) without them. Very frustrating.

Shelley

Guest waltzingmatilda
Hi,

i'm a primary teacher and I'm just starting the process. However some of my original documents are in the container being shipped over so I can't get my skills assessed(again ggrrrr!) without them. Very frustrating.

Shelley

That's really annoying for you!!! When are you flying out?

I went through the whole TRB registration debacle a year ago and then managed to get 3 or 4 days a week relief work just by going around all the local Catholic schools in person with my CV and registration documents ( you also need a catholic police check for Catholic schools which is very straight forward but nothing else). I didn't bother with the agencies as they take a sizeable cut from your earnings. Towards the end of last year I started applying for jobs coming up in Catholic primary schools and now have a 12 month contract (most teaching jobs are temporary contracts to start - permanency is quite hard to come by but there are quite a few temporary contracts up for grabs, especially towards the end of the academic year - November/December).

Lyn

Guest Adelaide_bound

Just to update you - I got my overseas qualifications check back last friday, so that was either 1 or 2 weeks (sorry, can't remember entirely, think it was 3 weeks though), so super fast imho. Just have to do a load more hoop jumping when funds allow (the course and a UK police check again, as ours is more than 12 months old now) and then can put in the registration, which includes the Oz police check, then go and do the first aid course, and then can finally get on with actually doing some proper work :)

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi,

Shelley

Don't worry,once they get here I think its pretty fast for people here in the country - obviously the posting them back the UK takes a bit of time, but I think they process any they have for people who are actually here in Adelaide first, if I read between the lines correctly in all my dealings with them :)

Guest jakeandshelley
Don't worry,once they get here I think its pretty fast for people here in the country - obviously the posting them back the UK takes a bit of time, but I think they process any they have for people who are actually here in Adelaide first, if I read between the lines correctly in all my dealings with them :)

Thanks for that. My stuff was delivered yesterday so can get things moving! :)

Hi Swanseajack, your situation sounds very similar to mine! I have been teaching for 17 years (primary) and I hope to get my visa soon, my OH meds were referred in December so just waiting really. We have sold our house and having to live with the parents as we were told the meds would be 8 weeks, its now 14 weeks! I was able to get my skills assessed by the TRB whilst here in England (got the all clear last week, this took 6 weeks) but the next stage, the registration part, can't be done until you get to SA as you have to take a 1 day child protection course or something like that! Anyway, all ready to board that plane once the visa comes!!!!! Have you got yours yet?? :biggrin:

Hi waltzing Matilda seem to be talking to you on two threads

Shall do the same as you with the TRB

Good luck

Kathy

I have had my skills assessed and a place booked on the madatory training course 3 days after we arrive. Hoping to get registered quickly after that.

We fly in July. x

Hi waltzing Matilda seem to be talking to you on two threads

Shall do the same as you with the TRB

Good luck

Kathy

Guest waltzingmatilda
Hi all

Just had a thought do I need to have been granted my visa before TRB. Sure the answer is yes but thought I'd ask

Thanks again kathy

Hi Kathy, no you don't need your visa for the first part, I don't have mine yet but was OK for this. I have family in Adelaide so had mu documents sent there and in total it took about 5 weeks from when I sent it. So its quite quick, (gives you something else to think about than the waiting for the meds that have been referred!!!! ha ha) Anyway good luck lets hope we hear something soon!!! :biggrin:

Im reading all this with interest as im at the start but i need a sponser from a school to be allowed in as i have got past the golden age of 50 and i have a son in Adelaide. it all seems so difilcult but coming over in may to give my CV out as im a secondary visual art teacher but experienced special needs, here is hoping all your plans go smoothly and i can join you all asp??j

Guest Natski33

Hi all.

I work for a education recruitment agency in Adelaide and thought I'd just offer some advice. As someone said in a early thread, when registering with supply agencies, we take a chunk of your wages, this isn't true. All my teachers who work for me get a a good salary and we don't actually make a lot of money. We are very community focused and keep costs low to assist the schools in need of good teachers.

Most of the schools here have their own TRT lists and will also use a cluster TRT lists too before using an agency. The process is the same, you must be interviewed by the school, reference checked and all documents will be checked before they even consider you for casual work.

There a mixture of government (DECD) catholic, Lutheran and private schools here and most have a large casual list.

Worth getting a DECD number which can be done easily online once you have your trb. Also the catholic clearance has not ceased so no need to apply for this any more.

To get perm teachers roles here is quite difficult unless as someone mentioned, your willing to go regional for some time to prove yourself as a Teacher.

Hope this helps?

Hi all.

I work for a education recruitment agency in Adelaide and thought I'd just offer some advice. As someone said in a early thread, when registering with supply agencies, we take a chunk of your wages, this isn't true. All my teachers who work for me get a a good salary and we don't actually make a lot of money. We are very community focused and keep costs low to assist the schools in need of good teachers.

Most of the schools here have their own TRT lists and will also use a cluster TRT lists too before using an agency. The process is the same, you must be interviewed by the school, reference checked and all documents will be checked before they even consider you for casual work.

There a mixture of government (DECD) catholic, Lutheran and private schools here and most have a large casual list.

Worth getting a DECD number which can be done easily online once you have your trb. Also the catholic clearance has not ceased so no need to apply for this any more.

To get perm teachers roles here is quite difficult unless as someone mentioned, your willing to go regional for some time to prove yourself as a Teacher.

Hope this helps?

The 2 education recruitment agencies I enquired with before I got my contract both quoted a daily salary rate that was significantly less than I was being paid by the schools when I worked for them directly. Therefore, someone was "taking a chunk of the teacher's wage" somewhere along the line! It's refreshing to read that your agency is different to those that I have experienced!

Thank you all for the advice i will follow everything up and i will go regional as i can always stay the weekend with my son in Adelaide. I will be visiting you in August if you could send me an email with the address that would be helpfull. j