IT Systems Administrator/Engineer Jobs

Guest gibwanna

Guest gibwanna

Hi all,

Been in Adelaide for around 4 weeks now ( on a PR Visa) and am looking for work in the IT Systems Administrator/Engineer Field.

I have registered with agencies and have a few responses but nothing firm as yet. I also check out Seek.com regularly.

I have all the Typical Skills with Strong Experience of:

Windows/AD

VMware

Exchange

SAN Storage

Citrix

I know its quiet at the moment but wondered if anyone knows of any vacancies coming up where they are or if they can make any recommendations? I am realistic and know I may not walk into my perfect job and am quite prepared to take any length of contract and/or a role which is a little away from what I would normally do. Just looking to work hard and get my foot in a door......

Any help or positive advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

Been in Adelaide for around 4 weeks now ( on a PR Visa) and am looking for work in the IT Systems Administrator/Engineer Field.

I have registered with agencies and have a few responses but nothing firm as yet. I also check out Seek.com regularly.

I have all the Typical Skills with Strong Experience of:

Windows/AD

VMware

Exchange

SAN Storage

Citrix

I know its quiet at the moment but wondered if anyone knows of any vacancies coming up where they are or if they can make any recommendations? I am realistic and know I may not walk into my perfect job and am quite prepared to take any length of contract and/or a role which is a little away from what I would normally do. Just looking to work hard and get my foot in a door......

Any help or positive advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Hi mate,

Have you tried Hays, Paxus, Candle, Finite and Talent? They were all the ones I tried. There is that work here for sure - but it comes in waves a bit I think - I had a recent chat with Hays and they said exactly that. From my experience your UK work experience should be fine - I stepped into pretty much the same level I was in the UK (Server Admin). We are lucky, it's not like the plumbing profession!

Worth registering with the Universities, SA Water and HP were looking for an Exchange dude quite recently.

Good luck!

Guest gibwanna
Hi mate,

Have you tried Hays, Paxus, Candle, Finite and Talent? They were all the ones I tried. There is that work here for sure - but it comes in waves a bit I think - I had a recent chat with Hays and they said exactly that. From my experience your UK work experience should be fine - I stepped into pretty much the same level I was in the UK (Server Admin). We are lucky, it's not like the plumbing profession!

Worth registering with the Universities, SA Water and HP were looking for an Exchange dude quite recently.

Good luck!

Hi Zebedee,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Yes, registered with those ones, but missed candle so will get registered with them. I will also register with Companies you mentioned and hopefully get somewhere with it all.

Appreciate the advice!

Thanks,

Gareth

I know how you must be feeling though - it really was the single biggest thing I was worried about. Adelaide does seem to have a fairly close-knit IT community, and much of the work is via outsourced partners. Other companies to try are Hostworks, Datacom and Dimension Data (and you'll have the dilemma as to whether you should say DAR-TA or keep saying DAY-TA, but do change to the American way of saying router!)

The thing to keep a close eye on, is I was told that companies only like to get your CV from one source - either directly or via a recruitment agency so it's worth keeping track of whose been sent what. All the agencies should ask you first before they pass on your CV.

Dave

Guest gibwanna

Cheers for the Advice again-Appreciated.

It is quite tough but its all part of the process you signed up to I guess!!

I will give the others you mentioned a try. Thanks.

Been told by most people that I speak to that my skills are what is wanted around here and that it should pick up soon so will play the waiting game. Just hate sitting around!!!

Gareth