Likelihood of Construction Foreman role on 489 state sponsored visa......

SKIPPY59

..biggrin.gifJust wondering what is the likelihood of getting a Building Construction Foreman role on a 489 Provisional State Sponsored Visa - I am a Construction Site Manager in the UK and have received a positive assessment through Vetassess for a Building Associate. IELTS being a problem but hoping my re-marking will come back at a better level.

I have over 20 years experience on various building projects ...............................hoping for positive feedback............. :)

new home or commercial building projects?? the reason im asking is because your experience and visa will not be the problem if its housing, its the fact that the new home building has taken a huge nose dive in the last 12 months....we have had 2 of the large builders go into receivership recently leaving alot of people out of work :0(.......dont know about the commercial side, hopefully its better news for you.

Jo

They have done most of the schools over the last 3 years they put money in during the GFC to keep things going.There is still care homes going up, you will have to do a bit of study to get the qualifications required to be a supervisor as its called here. Like the timber framing code is required as most of the buildings are timber frames.

At the end of the day it comes down to supply and demand for your trade/skill set. I suspect at the moment there would be less of a demand for your line of work and this may continue, but then in Adelaide anything is possible and you may get lucky!

Information was released the other week (see article below) of a major projected slow down in Queensland and I believe this will have a knock on effect around Australia and there will be more competition for less jobs. Construction workforces are used to being mobile and travelling around Australia for work. I worked on a major construction project in Adelaide a couple of years ago. At the start of the project there were loads of blokes on site from Victoria as work had dried up over there. As the project progressed we had people working on site that had come from the mines and had taken massive pay drops because the mining work had slowed down, then we had people coming from Queensland onto the project as work had dried up there and it was a case of there is a job in Adelaide or you will be made redundant. People go where the work is.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/qmca-says-construction-boom-nearly-over/1764663/

Edited by Jessica Berry