A bit of positivity

Guest guest8040

Guest guest8040

Just thought I'd share some positive news as I have mixed feelings about this forum sometimes and the nearer I get to leaving (5 weeks) some of the posts reinforce my anxieties! Honesty is great but should be reined in a bit imo given most pre-emigraters (thats my own word!) will already be terribly anxious and at the end of the day no one can predict another's journey through anything in life - it would be very boring if that was the case! PIA has also been a god send at times though so like I say mixed feelings!

Anyway I read too often on here that you shouldn't bother looking at jobs before landing. Mentally I couldn't cope with doing nothing and just flying out jobless so I ignored all that 'advice'. Well nothing's in the bag yet but just to say that today I've been invited to an interview via Skype for Tuesday! My other half has an interview lined up for when we land and another lead to follow up. I've been doing some work on a voluntary, virtual basis for 6 months which has allowed me to build some networks and contacts. So I guess what I'm saying is there's no harm in trying to source work and for all the numerous 'thanks but no thanks' you receive someone might be willing to give you a go! And I reckon being proactive and positive in this way could have an impact on an employer. By the way all our research and applications have been sourced via seek, google and a few brazen emails. Wish us luck!

That's great news for you to get a interview on Skype, so happy for you. Keep us posted and good luck for Tuesday.

I have been trying to be proactive by applying for soooooo many position in my sector as a CAD Engineer but I have not been getting much if any feedback from employers and recruitment agencies. I really am hoping that it's because they want me to be in Australia before they will take me seriously and not that my CV is no good.

Guest guest8040

Thanks everyone I work in the voluntary sector and my husband in telephone travel sales, we have had lots of ignores and no thank you's but little glimmers of hope peeped through. One of my husbands positive leads was whilst watching Wanted Down Under and googling the company featured!

me and the wife both secured jobs befor landing here. im a car mechanic and the wife is a nurse. nothing ventured nothing gained.

These are both jobs that are very much in demand. I recently watched a recruitment webinar and it was to advise recruiters/HR depts the process to employ mechanics from overseas and used a company that had done just that as an example of how to go about it.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Good on you! Hope it will be ok!

you are doing it right, as i live here, i am a citizen, and can't get a job:( it is not that easy unfortunately. I am totally depressed

I started searching before I relocated as I wanted the knowledge of a secure income once we were here. I interviewed by Skype, got offered the job whilst in England, moved over and still with the same company 4 years on. Our HR advisor uses Skype to interview people from around the world for pretty much every vacancy we have.

Guest swanseajacks

Great news, My husband secured a job as a mechanic before we arrived. He had the interview through Skype too, amazing. Makes you feel a little more secure. Good luck with the interview.

Natalie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest8040

Wasn't a yes but wasn't a no, they've asked me to call into their office when I arrive. The job was different to what I have done in the past (I've been a project manager and the job was as a PA) but the organization is almost identical to the one I've worked for 13 years here in terms of aims and objectives. So fingers crossed!