Truck mechanics

Guest Kicker

Guest Kicker

Hi there just wondering if anyone can help, I'm just looking for advice and experiences with truck mechanics jobs, my husband currently works for a Mercedes dealership and in the past has worked for a daf dealership, 15 years in total, he works 12 hr days + a sat am earning around £42000 gross here in the uk supporting a family of 5,

i would just like to hear from truck mechanics and family's in Adelaide, who have made the move to oz, was it easy to find work, and what the pay rates are like?

Hi there is jobs for HGV mechanics ,but hourly rate is about 25... 28 dollars per hour and still repair not replace ,usually work 37.5 hours per week .South Australia don't recognise UK HGV or gas licences so these need to be done again over here at a cost think its about 2000. They don't advertise much best to just knock on garage doors ,good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kicker we moved out here in nov 2011 as a family of four. I worked as a diesel fitter in the uk for a grain / feed co who ran a fleet of around 70 bulk tippers. I found work at the Volvo dealer the second week we got here but only lasted 3 months as they couldn't offer much overtime but the job was ok however the standards out here are a joke with no annual tests at all ,and some of the trucks are ancient . Then I stared work for a earthmoving co where I all sorts including trucks, all sorts of plant and small vehicles .after another 6 months I moved on again to work for liebherr as a field service tech which is very different to what I did in the uk ,but the money is better on plant out here than on trucks .if you pm me your phone no I would be happy to fill you in a bit more . Steve