Please Please can someone help me? x

Guest laura coldwell

Guest laura coldwell

Hello there,

So in 116 days my husband and I will be getting on a plane (one way) to Adelaide. I am a mental health nurse and have been trying to secure a Perm position using Geneva Health. I have had a call tonight explaining about the job freeze (which I was already aware of) and as back up I have signed up to NASA with HCA. I am hoping that someone who works or has experience working for NASA can offer me some reassurance. My husband will be seeking work as soon as we land but for a while I will be the only person bringing in an income. My question is: Do you get a lot of shifts or enough to live on? I figure that although I have been told there is a job freeze S.A would not be taking nurses for SS if there was not work? I am really worried that I am going to land and not have any work. Please can any one offer advice. I would be eternally grateful xxx

Hi Laura, Im an RN and working for HCA, It does go quiet at times and im told that for RN's its pretty quiet at the moment (though im working on a contract so havent noticed) I'm told that there are plenty of shifts available for Mental Health nurses either within SA health or in community/correctional placements

When i first joined NASA i also signed up for YNA (another agency)

Best of luck with it all I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Guest Kel87

Sorry can't help Laura but I hope everything woks out when you arrive.

Maria- as a nurse have you noticed any nurses really struggling to get work? As the only Earner everything rests on me, no money...no nothing :( do you know of people struggling to get full time hours or is that possible as long as your not fussy about where you work? I'm an RN.

Guest laura coldwell
Hi Laura, Im an RN and working for HCA, It does go quiet at times and im told that for RN's its pretty quiet at the moment (though im working on a contract so havent noticed) I'm told that there are plenty of shifts available for Mental Health nurses either within SA health or in community/correctional placements

When i first joined NASA i also signed up for YNA (another agency)

Best of luck with it all I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Maria,

Thanks so much for your reply :wubclub:. That puts my mind at rest quite a bit I am very positive person but at night I have started to have these mini freak outs and think the worst about having NO work. I am sure thats quite normal though. Thanks for the heads up on YCA ill get onto them. xx

Guest laura coldwell
Sorry can't help Laura but I hope everything woks out when you arrive.

Maria- as a nurse have you noticed any nurses really struggling to get work? As the only Earner everything rests on me, no money...no nothing :( do you know of people struggling to get full time hours or is that possible as long as your not fussy about where you work? I'm an RN.

​Thanks Kel xxx

I figure that although I have been told there is a job freeze S.A would not be taking nurses for SS if there was not work?

I can't comment on nursing but I wouldn't have such confidence about them offering SS if the jobs aren't there - plenty of people have come over here thinking there must be jobs because of SS and their occupations being on 'in demand' lists only to find there's very little work and a lot of competition for it.

Jim

You might find this interesting, it was on the news recently and then the knock on effects of the campaign with peoples comments on the facebook page.....

http://www.ncah.com.au/news-events/facebook-campaign-targets-jobs-for-nurses-and-midwives/1750/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Nursing-and-Midwifery-Federation-SA-Branch/120442598117213

Edited by Jessica Berry

I figure that although I have been told there is a job freeze S.A would not be taking nurses for SS if there was not work?

I think sometimes it's easy to confuse South Australia with Adelaide - if it's on the shortage list it maybe that perhaps there is a shortage but you may have to go to Coober Pedy or Roxby Downs or Mount Gambier; South Australia is in fact massive....

I know it's probably not what you want to hear (and if someone had told me this time last year the only place my husband would find an IT job would have been way out there on the Nullabor I might have had second thoughts) and I'm not a nurse nor have I been looking for work since we arrived but from hearing about the job market just now it doesn't make happy reading.

• 1 month later...
Guest Denise 42

Hi i spent 4 years in adelaide no problem with work i am returning back to adelaide from UK

do sign up with glenside for the casual pool think you can do this online where are you coming from in UK