The Teacher Debate

Guest mossmac

Guest mossmac

Have split this thread as it is not only on a different topic but moved to Jobs and Careers in stead of finance. :biglaugh: The original thread topic had seen to be forgotton.

Pete

I think your right Libby.

Reading though the post, it's scary that people have not sorted jobs out before they move !!!!!!!!!!.

Just because there skills are on the Skilled Occupations List, people seem to think that they will be able to find work very easily and when they get there they cant.

Me and the missus are lucky in that respect. On are reccie last june I found work as a busdriver for Transit-plus and missus has got a job at the Calvary.

Hi there,

I am sure all of us would LOVE to have a job before coming out to Oz but not all of us are able to have that luxury. Myself and my partner are both teachers. You can't start working as a teacher until you have registered as a teacher in South Australia (the law) and this can take 6 to 8 weeks. You can't even start the process of registering as a teacher over here in the UK prior to departure to give yourself a headstart. It can ONLY be done after arriving in Oz.

John and Sarah

Guest Nick11
Hi there,

I am sure all of us would LOVE to have a job before coming out to Oz but not all of us are able to have that luxury. Myself and my partner are both teachers. You can't start working as a teacher until you have registered as a teacher in South Australia (the law) and this can take 6 to 8 weeks. You can't even start the process of registering as a teacher over here in the UK prior to departure to give yourself a headstart. It can ONLY be done after arriving in Oz.

John and Sarah

Best of luck guys - so many teachers coming over even relief work is thin on the ground.

Guest Libby1971

Sorry mossmac, but actually you can start the process from the UK.

You can submit your documentation for the skills assessment. The registration process isn't complete until you take the certificates in for your Mandatory Child Protection course and First Aid certificate. Once you do that, if your skills assessment is done, it takes about 2 weeks. My friend did it this way - she came out here for a holiday in August, took the mandatory and first aid course etc, took them to TRB and was registered before the end of her holiday!

I, of course, waited until I got here thinking I was oh so clever and than had to wait months on end for the whole affair! If in doubt, don't do what I did.:nah: OH is also a teacher and it took for ever.

However, the rest of your post is sound - schools won't talk to you from the UK unless the registration process is complete and that can't always be done until the final move. Sadly, teachers are not as in demand as the adverts would have you believe.

Libby

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hi John & Sarah

What wrong with contacting schools in your chosen area to find out the the score is ? and keeping them informed of when you are going over.

You will be suprised how much they can help on getting things speeded up.

We found that good communications with future employers and the local autorities is your biggest friend.

Hope you both get jobs sorted soon.

Matt

Guest Nick11
Hi John & Sarah

What wrong with contacting schools in your chosen area to find out the the score is ? and keeping them informed of when you are going over.

You will be suprised how much they can help on getting things speeded up.

We found that good communications with future employers and the local autorities is your biggest friend.

Hope you both get jobs sorted soon.

Matt

I sooooo wish that were the case. Even if you hand deliver your resume and keep in touch - there are so many teachers doing that - the schools are getting fed up with us.

Like most things here - it's not what you know - its who you know - or - right place, right time.

Guest Libby1971

Sorry Cornish, unless you have a job offer the schools can do next do nothing to help. And quite frankly, why should they bother to help someone in the UK who isn't regsitered when there are so many here in Aus who are?

Nick, spot on as ever :notworthy::notworthy:

Libby

Guest Nick11

'The Teacher debate'

Not so much a debate - more a moan and groan!

Why on earth sa are still doing a big recruitment drive for teachers is beyond me. Even regional jobs are getting thinner on the ground. I know they are worried because in 10 years time they expect a large % of teachers to retire - but what do we do in between now and then? That will put me at 51 !!

My sons teacher has just retired at 70!!!

Guest Django
'The Teacher debate'

Not so much a debate - more a moan and groan!

Why on earth sa are still doing a big recruitment drive for teachers is beyond me. Even regional jobs are getting thinner on the ground. I know they are worried because in 10 years time they expect a large % of teachers to retire - but what do we do in between now and then? That will put me at 51 !!

My sons teacher has just retired at 70!!!

From the outside looking in it does seem ridiculous that teaching is on the 'wanted' list when it does seem as though there are more teachers than jobs. Perhaps it should state somewhere that teachers are in demand in SA for visa applicants but this does not include a radius of x amount of kms from Adelaide.:confused: This is why I often pm nurses just to check there is a surplus of nursing roles for when we arrive.

Pete

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I know this is a teachers debate, but to me it high- lights the Australian immigration process perfectly! I think the only job you are safe getting on the list is nursing! Hairdresser if you are prepared to work odd hours and when they want on a week to week basis.

As for trades...there is loads out there if you are happy working half the week one week and 70 hrs the next all for $16 an hour!:chatterbox:.

Sorry give it back to you guys now!

sarah

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Sorry, i hold my head in shame and stand corrected.
Dont worry Cornish they will forgive you! If you are in the position of both of you having jobs before you get here, then you are indeed very lucky! Most people dont as they have explained why, also those damn licenses are not always easy to get!

Heres hoping your jobs turn out to what you are expecting

sarah

Guest mossmac

Hi Cornish,

I didn't mean to sound so cross when I responded to your message about people doing more to get jobs before they come to Oz. Just been feeling a bit stressed out with everything lately. Hopefully it will all work out and we will be able to find teaching jobs somewhere .............

Good luck with everything. Hope it all goes well for you.

Sarah

Guest Django

Go on ...... go a sit in the corner and recite you 7 times table. :P:biglaugh:

Hey don't worry dude this is what this place is all about. Its a real eye opener what goes on over there as regard employment. You like me assumed that if your job was on the 'wanted list' then you find work easily as there must be vacancies in those areas. Oh noooo its not that simple. By bringng this up you have brought this to the attention of a lot of teachers that read this site that aren't necessarily members. So instead of holding your head in shame you should be thanked for raising this.:notworthy:

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Cornish you have nothing to hang your head in shame about.

You have actually done all of us a huge favour by having the confidence to say out loud (well typed!) what so many people are thinking...if the job is on the Skills Wanted List, there must be work, and it must be not too hard to find it. If it is on the list, surely schools will help you come here, interview you over the phone etc and be willing mto set up interviews for when you arrive.

We, like you, thought exactly that. Having been a year, we find the reality is different. I hope I have not said anything that might have caused you offence.

Libby:wubclub:

Guest Nick11

No worries mate. Think I'll have to retrain!!!I hear pole dancing pays well in adelaide!!!!!

Guest Libby1971

Think I'll have to retrain!!!I hear pole dancing pays well in adelaide says Nick11

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Fantastic, Nick. You do make me laugh, not a bad idea though. We could run that alongside our pervy hotline idea...what do you think?:wideeyed:

Libby

Guest Nick11
Think I'll have to retrain!!!I hear pole dancing pays well in adelaide says Nick11

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Fantastic, Nick. You do make me laugh, not a bad idea though. We could run that alongside our pervy hotline idea...what do you think?:wideeyed:

Libby

This time next year Rodney we COULD BE MILLIONAIRES

I'm at the point now is all I can do is laugh - not even worth getting upset about!! Que sera!!!!