Aged care work

Guest Wes_Nicky

Guest Wes_Nicky

Hi, looking for some advice regarding aged care work in Adelaide. My wife and I both currently work in aged care in the uk with over 10 years experience between us. I realise that if our visa application is successful we would have to retrain in Oz, I know from visiting family in Adelaide last year that the Australian government is investing heavily in this area and I was just wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction with regards to training.

Guest WhatNow?

Hi,

I work for one of the largest Aged Care Providers in SA. What you need will depend on what you want to do. PM me with what sort of work you want to do (In-home Care or Resdential) and I will tell you what I can about how it works here.

There is heaps of work in Aged care, depending on what you do, if its working in nursing home/ home support work you would need certificate II/ and or III *in aged care, there is just heaps of work in this, you can go to TAFE full or part time to get this, I was not qualified when I first went to adelaide so you may be able to get something without Cert II/III but you would need to work towards getting it , pm me if you want any more information x

Guest Tina P

Hi, try Wade Vocational Training, South Rd. Morphett Vale. You will have to Google the number. I believe it's a 8 week course to gain your cert III and this includes a 2 week placement. I work at Eldercare and we take placements from Wade. Unless you have a Cert III you will not get a job as a carer.

​Good luck

Hi, looking for some advice regarding aged care work in Adelaide. My wife and I both currently work in aged care in the uk with over 10 years experience between us. I realise that if our visa application is successful we would have to retrain in Oz, I know from visiting family in Adelaide last year that the Australian government is investing heavily in this area and I was just wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction with regards to training.

I think you may be able to get APL on your NVQ if you have one from the UK- I'd email TAFE as they do skills assessment, my NVQ in direct training and support was assessed as being equiv to the Cert IV in workplace training. This might mean you dont have to do anything or it may mean only a module or two.

I'd also try to get hold of statements from your managers to verify what your job currently entails with as much details as possible. I think you will find you will be snapped up as the Cert 3 is very basic and to be honest there are a lot of places that wont take on new grads with their cert 3, its very hard to get experience when no one is willing to give you a shot.

Good luck with it all

Guest Vickie

My husband also works for Eldercare and he trained through Wade. If you're permanent you can get government assistance. If not it cost around $1500 or you can do Aged Care and Disability for around $1800.

Hi, try Wade Vocational Training, South Rd. Morphett Vale. You will have to Google the number. I believe it's a 8 week course to gain your cert III and this includes a 2 week placement. I work at Eldercare and we take placements from Wade. Unless you have a Cert III you will not get a job as a carer.

​Good luck

I havent long moved over and have 10 years experience contacted a few agencies who all said I needed to get my cert 3, I am currently on the course at wade it runs every 2 weeks for the day course and there is an evening course as well last 9 weeks in total I think and if you are eligible you can get it $325. Just hope I don't have problems getting work once I finish.