One for the nurses

Guest Mojoanna

Guest Mojoanna

Just a quick question for the nurses, where in your opinion is the best place for nursing? In Adelaide or the Uk? What are the good and bad points on both sides? Does any one do community nursing in Adelaide? Is it easy to get into? Sorry for all the questions

Guest maria_angela

It depends on which nursing are you going to work into and which hospital you are comparing with. In terms of my experience,

I have worked in the ICU of southampton NHS in UK and moved here in Adelaide in one of the private hospitals. It has always

been busy where I worked in UK, the patients we get were quite poorly and quite tight in staffing. Comparing that to Adelaide,

the ICU in where I worked is more of an HDU and it can be tight and can be not too busy as well, saying that, the hospital where

I currently work can ask me to work in the ward if the ICU has too much staff. Both have got its ups and downs.

What sort of comparison are you looking for by the way?

is it in terms of salary?

cost of living?

type of work?

etc...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest maria_angela

I wouldn't have a clue with regards to community health nursing here as i work in the hospital. with regards to the cost of living, i find that it is more expensive here as compared to UK, though saying that, we also earn almost twice here as how much we are earning in UK, so that equates it.

Guest Guest6899

Cant comment on community nursing, although one of the major employers RDNS are cutting lots of jobs. There are few permanent nursing jobs here at the mo, majority are with agency. in my experience its a no brainer, Adelaide tops.. better pay, working conditions, patient staff ratio, training, go on time, get breaks. I now actually don't mind going to work, where as in the UK i reduced my hours to 3 days as i found it too stressful. i work in a public hospital, i think patient/staff ratios are higher in private hospitals. Although i feel i have totally deskilled from what i used to do, i still enjoy the role.