SA Migration website - no guarantee of employment

I was unsure whether to put this under 'Migration Issues' or 'Jobs & Careers'.

An issue that is often mentioned in postings so I thought it was worthwhile putting the official wording taken from South Australia's Migration website....https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/ to reiterate to people that coming to South Australia on a skilled visa offers no guarantee of employment...........I am not trying to put people off, but some people do not seem to be aware of this.

'While occupations eligible for state nominated migration have been identified as being in demand, they do not relate to any specific job vacancies or represent any guarantee of employment. State nomination recipients compete with all potential employees in the South Australian labour market in normal competitive selection process to secure any available or advertised job.'

Edited by Jessica Berry

• 3 weeks later...

Some people seem to wear very thick rimmed rose tinted glasses. We have yet to commit to the move with a reccie taking place in September including a sit down with a financial advisor, sit down with some potential employers (hopefully followed by an offer of full time work) and yet to arrange but also a sit down with employment agencies. It is going to be hard work in fact likely harder than finding work in UK where experience and qualifications are fully applicable. There will also be the settling in period, the missing family and friends etc however on the plus side, there are all the opportunities which come with a fresh and exciting start, the cultural challenges and simply the adventure of it all.

My belief is to make myself as attractive to any potential employers as possible, continue to be hard working and professional, be sociable and not be sensitive to cultural changes and hopefully everything will work out well.

Similar to estate agents, never forget migration agents and even some parts of the Australian immigration service are simply sales people and will always give the positive outlook to win your business and money.

S

Some people seem to wear very thick rimmed rose tinted glasses. We have yet to commit to the move with a reccie taking place in September including a sit down with a financial advisor, sit down with some potential employers (hopefully followed by an offer of full time work) and yet to arrange but also a sit down with employment agencies. It is going to be hard work in fact likely harder than finding work in UK where experience and qualifications are fully applicable. There will also be the settling in period, the missing family and friends etc however on the plus side, there are all the opportunities which come with a fresh and exciting start, the cultural challenges and simply the adventure of it all.

My belief is to make myself as attractive to any potential employers as possible, continue to be hard working and professional, be sociable and not be sensitive to cultural changes and hopefully everything will work out well.

Similar to estate agents, never forget migration agents and even some parts of the Australian immigration service are simply sales people and will always give the positive outlook to win your business and money.

S

:notworthy:

Do you think that perhaps part of the problem is that people tend to head to Adelaide (and its suburbs) and sometimes the need is perhaps much further out?

I know teaching seems to come up time and again and my understanding is it can generally be hard to come by permanent work but that if you are prepared to go out to the sticks for a year or two (or longer) you stand more chance. But how many people migrating are really wanting to do that or prepared to? A few hours or more from Adelaide, smaller town somewhere, isn't perhaps what people had in mind.

Some professions are far more city based but I do wonder what ones are required elsewhere in the state, say outside of commuting distance (say an hour each way or more).

I know I mentioned to hubby about living in one of the smaller towns in the hills or elsewhere but he ruled out a number as being too far if he had to work in Adelaide somewhere. Others he is open to. But I doubt very much if his area of work will be in the smaller towns, so if we do head that way it will be to live, not live and work.

I would love to live further out. Port Lincoln for one, yankalilla, myponga, down that way. Tumby bay, kadinda, kapunda. Anywhere like that, but for the moment I'm tied to my job. When that is up I may well move further out. But finding work would be a worry.

In a job market like Adelaide, sometimes it can be hard to gauge how in demand your skills will be, even with all the possible information available. There are plenty of people that have lived and worked here all their lives that have no idea how in demand their skills are or where they should pitch themselves.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest8609

I wonder on what basis they decided SA needs software testers/QA analysts. Only within last month there were up to TWO job adverts on Seek, and sometimes single ads on Uni/Gov websites (small chance against internal applicants and even smaller if you're not an Oz citizen). South Australia has been sponsoring 176 visas for software Quality Assurance people almost always, even generously renewing the offer once the initial numbers of applicants have been met.

Again - either SA immi people didn't do their homework AT ALL, or they just want fresh blood for the region regardless of breaking people's careers and ruining their budgets (costs fortune to move to Oz, and even more to be unemployed here).

Not everyone would move interstate while on South Oz sponsored Visa - it may be a dead regulation (that you should spend at least 2 years here), but you never know with Immi... That's my point of view based on over a year of observation.

I wonder about the situation in other jobs/industries. Seems to be obvious that if your job is in demand, there should be SOME chance to get a job in your industry, but reality can be different.

I also met an Australian born and educated graphics designer - jobless, moving to Sydney...

Software Developers is a different story, my OH found two well paid jobs, although everyone around seems to be very surprised that he earns that much and that he got a PERMANENT contract. So actually we're not sure whether he's so awesome ;) or so lucky :D, or maybe... in demand.

Edited by Guest8609

I would love to live further out. Port Lincoln for one, yankalilla, myponga, down that way. Tumby bay, kadinda, kapunda. Anywhere like that, but for the moment I'm tied to my job. When that is up I may well move further out. But finding work would be a worry.

Me too - whilst my IT skills got us here, and I did secure a job very quickly in the city - I'd gladly swap with something that could be of use out of the city. McLaren Vale is turning out to be a rather nice compromise though.

I wonder on what basis they decided SA needs software testers/QA analysts. Only within last month there were up to TWO job adverts on Seek, and sometimes single ads on Uni/Gov websites (small chance against internal applicants and even smaller if you're not an Oz citizen). South Australia has been sponsoring 176 visas for software Quality Assurance people almost always, even generously renewing the offer once the initial numbers of applicants have been met.

Again - either SA immi people didn't do their homework AT ALL, or they just want fresh blood for the region regardless of breaking people's careers and ruining their budgets (costs fortune to move to Oz, and even more to be unemployed here).

Not everyone would move interstate while on South Oz sponsored Visa - it may be a dead regulation (that you should spend at least 2 years here), but you never know with Immi... That's my point of view based on over a year of observation.

I wonder about the situation in other jobs/industries. Seems to be obvious that if your job is in demand, there should be SOME chance to get a job in your industry, but reality can be different.

I also met an Australian born and educated graphics designer - jobless, moving to Sydney...

Software Developers is a different story, my OH found two well paid jobs, although everyone around seems to be very surprised that he earns that much and that he got a PERMANENT contract. So actually we're not sure whether he's so awesome ;) or so lucky :D, or maybe... in demand.

Coming to SA with this kind of State Sponsorship is like playing Russian roulette. If I were a Software analyst/developer I would rather go to the east coast where I would expect these kinds of jobs. But here... I doubt it will be in high demand. Other industries are suffering, too, at the moment. Hopefully, the economical downturn will come to an end soon.

Regarding Immigration SA people they are trying to stop the exodus here. Adelaide used to be the 3rd biggest city in Australia 20 years ago or so, now it's on 5th!

Perth and even Brisbane have outstripped Adelaide with inhabitants and jobs. There was an interesting comment on this in the Advertiser this Saturday.

Maybe that's the reason why so many 'east coast' jobs are on the SS list. Immi SA tries to stop shrinkage which would mean another downturn in housing, buying a car, food, furniture etc.

Don't just look on the "big" sites like Seek or Career One. There are many vacancies suitable for migrants posted on the JSA site by Private Recruiters. When listing jobs there is even a special tick box for Migrant suitable jobs. Also, if you are looking for professional roles in Engineering or IT, you should be looking at the company that operates the Steelworks at Whyalla, as they advertise their own positions on their own site. hyalla may be a long way out (in uK terms) but I spent over 20 years there, it's got great facilities, schools, a hospital, pubs, clubs, sporting facilities, everything you get in a bigger city. It also have cheap property.

Guest BurgessFamily

People applying for migration is an industry in itself, the more the better for the economy. "Adelaide is desperate for all trades, apply NOW! $$$$"

When we've advertised dev roles (most recently about 6 months ago), we've had over 400 apps (though only about 80 worth a genuine look).