Graphic Designer needing help/advice

Guest Zark

I am a Graphic Designer who arrived in Adelaide in September 2010. For the first 2 years I had a permanent contract working for my previous employer in the UK. Since that ended (October 2012) I have been looking for permanent work. I have applied for over 50 positions and have yet to get one interview.

I realise that these positions are massively over-subscribed but having over 25 years experience, working for governments and other blue chip clients doesn't seem to account for anything.

In the meantime I have set up my own freelance business but am struggling to make ends meet. My wife works full-time but the pay is not great. If I don't get something in the next 2 months we will probably have to go back to the UK as our savings are dwindling.

I am actually going to a recruitment agency tomorrow to enquire about temp/admin work just to get some money in.

As I have always worked from home I haven't managed to establish any contacts in the business.

I would really like to meet someone who works for a design agency for a chat who could maybe advise me on my next step. If there is anyone out there I would really appreciate it.

Edited by snifter
Removed link to business as per forum rules

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you lost your job last year.

I think its a good idea to try the agencies and see if there is any work around you could do. Sometimes temp work can lead to more permanent but it also gives you experience with other companies, gets your face and name out there and could make you contacts. I think working from home can be good but you do have to work at making and maintaining contacts and so on (hubby worked from home for long periods so know how it goes). Have you Aussied up your CV for the market there? That seems to be a thing people keep mentioning about UK CV's, being tailored to suit the Aus market.

If you are happy in Aus and can make it work hopefully you are able to stay. Even if its temp work to get you over the hump so to speak, means to an end and all that.

I removed the link from your post as we don't allow business advertising in that way on the forum. I'll incude a link to the forum rules at the end and you can have a browse and see about setting yourself up with a business sig if you would like.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/37706-new-forum-rules.html

As you have mentioned graphic designer positions are oversubscribed, but then so are admin and finance roles which are attracting hundreds of applications, so your situation isn't unique, although I know that will be of little comfort.

As mentioned above your resume needs to have maximum impact in a short timeframe. I generously say you may have one minute to impress a recruiter with your resume, but in the current climate some estimates are now saying you only have between 15-30 seconds! Use your graphic design skills to sell yourself and what you can do.

Thanks for the advice and apologies for the business link, I wasn't aware of the rules. Just got back from the job agency so hopefully something will come up. Now looking at jobs for local cleaners until something else comes along. If you'd told me I'd be doing this while I was still in the UK I'd never have left!

You were fortunate to come over and have the safety net of working for your employer in the UK. You are now experiencing what can be the migrant job hunting rollercoaster, the experience has just been delayed a few years after your arrival.

The reality is that some people have a very smooth transition and find work easily, but there are also plenty of people (and that includes me, I have been there, done that and got several t shirts!!!) who do jobs at a much lower level in fields they have never worked in, to get a start in their new country and earn some money.

Job opportunities in Adelaide can present themselves in many weird and wonderful ways, I have heard some great stories, so you never know where things can lead.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Have you tried networking on linked in - linking up with all the design/advertising agencies here, offering to take people for a coffee for a chat about job hunting? I have a couple of friends in marketing/comms roles who have landed their jobs that way. One immediate, one 2 years down the track when she was looking for something new.

Thanks for the advice and apologies for the business link, I wasn't aware of the rules. Just got back from the job agency so hopefully something will come up. Now looking at jobs for local cleaners until something else comes along. If you'd told me I'd be doing this while I was still in the UK I'd never have left!

As Jessica said though, you've had the safety net of working for a UK employer and so are only now making a delayed entry into the Aus job market. Which (much like the UK atm fwiw, isn't always easy). You left the UK for a reason or reasons and are hopefully happy living in Aus and if you want to continue to live there you'll try to find ways to make it possible. If you've not made any contacts in the field you work in and have worked remotely then its not going to be easy but if you are prepared to do other work in the meantime to give yourselves some breathing room its a start. Hopefully it'll work out for you :) I've done a few not so great jobs in my time to see me through till a job I am trained for has come along.

If you are not really fussed about staying in Aus or are not settled and are happy to return to the UK, consider it as a serious option. Be aware though work isn't easy to come by here atm. Sure some people seem to walk straight into jobs and all that but wages are lower than they were (people taking pay cuts rather than losing their job for example or the starting salary is lower than a couple of years ago), many jobs are part time or temp contracts and living costs are getting higher although its still possible to live decently, depending on where you live and how you cut your cloth. The UK is for the most part a lovely place but employment wise its hit and miss.

Good luck getting a job outside your profession. When I was job hunting I was applying for many jobs and recruiters were asking why I wanted to do the job when I've had a career to date.

Adelaide is a bit of a backwater and also it's a who you know place. We've employed 3 people in the past 6 months and not advertised once, the manager just asked around the office if they knew anyone that wanted a job. Which I personally dislike as a practice as you won't necessarily find the best person for the job.

Good luck getting a job outside your profession. When I was job hunting I was applying for many jobs and recruiters were asking why I wanted to do the job when I've had a career to date.

Adelaide is a bit of a backwater and also it's a who you know place. We've employed 3 people in the past 6 months and not advertised once, the manager just asked around the office if they knew anyone that wanted a job. Which I personally dislike as a practice as you won't necessarily find the best person for the job.

Good point, people often think it will be easy to get what they class as lower level jobs, but the reality is that there are plenty of people who are experienced and qualified in these jobs applying for them.

I tongue in cheek call it the 'Adelaide recruitment method' of hiring family and friends! Having worked in HR/recruitment in Adelaide it is not always the case, but a high percentage of the workplaces I have been at use the 'Adelaide recruitment method'. They also use this method to exclude people. If someone applies that they know and they don't like them or someone gives an opinion about them that is negative, they will often be excluded and the candidate usually has no idea why!

It is all the fun of understanding the Adelaide job market!