Working in Kindergartens.

Guest ballykate

Guest ballykate

Hello, does anybody know how flexible the working hours in kindergartens are? For example are you able to work school hours and/or term time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as just trying to get as much info as possible. I currently work as a teaching assistant but am aware that these jobs are hard to come by so looking at other options.

Thanks, Kate

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest12727

I am pretty sure kindergartens hours are exactly the same as school hours. The teachers are fully qualified early childhood educators and have the same work conditions as teachers in primary/secondary school. Kindergarten isn't just childcare but a structured education program, although the emphasis is on learning through play and focus is on on emotional and physical rather than academic development.

Many childcare centres also run kindergarten, where the 4 yr olds can attend - separate from the rest of the child care centre. While the whole centre will be open from say 7am to 6pm, the kindy part wouldn't be. I hope that makes sense.

I work as a casual Early childhood worker in local Kindys and I normally work the hours my kids are at school. If staff are away sick then the Directors are generally pleased for whatever hours you can do. It's hard to get permanent work in kindergartens. Just let yourself be known and get your name on the relief list and people will start calling. It took about 2 terms before I got a contract somewhere and now that contract ends this week so I will be back to relief work again.

I work as a casual Early childhood worker in local Kindys and I normally work the hours my kids are at school. If staff are away sick then the Directors are generally pleased for whatever hours you can do. It's hard to get permanent work in kindergartens. Just let yourself be known and get your name on the relief list and people will start calling. It took about 2 terms before I got a contract somewhere and now that contract ends this week so I will be back to relief work again.

Hi I have just arrived and looking to work in a kindergarten, in the uk i was a pre-school/play group assistant and would like to do similar here. I will be quite happy with relief work if that's all I can get, I am waiting for a comparable assessment on my UK level 5 foundation Degree Children and Young Persons & CASHE Level 3 Childrens Learning And Development, but can you tell me on the vacancy adverts they ask for first aid/anaphylaxis, Child safety Environment, and police clearance, did you do these when you first got here or did someone put you through them? & can you use your police clearance for migration as I have this certificate?.....I have looked into doing these courses, do you think it will be better to have them prior to applying for jobs.

Thanks

Tracey

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Criminal history checks and police clearance certificates are 2 different things. For school I had to do the criminal history check and for my work placement it was the police clearance certificate

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Education%2C+skills+and+learning/Working+in+education/Criminal+history+screening/Apply+for+a+criminal+history+screening+

http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/sapol/services/information_requests/police_checks.jsp