Adelaide businesses sign jobs pledge to hire local people

• 1 month later...

I am seeing more adverts on seek specifying Australian work experience and adverts that are clearly stating their terms and conditions of applying for the job and who shouldn't bother applying eg people not yet living in Australia. I know when I was recruiting, a lot of the time, it doesn't matter what you put in an advert, people still send you their resume!

While I don't think it is necessarily linked to the above, I think it is more about the volume of applications recruiters/employers are receiving and they are trying to be specific with their criteria to decrease the amount of resumes they have to look through.

Edited by Jessica Berry

I have just added an additional link on my first posting from the Ministers Media Centre.

It says in the press release 'The initiative is based on a model which has been successful in the United Kingdom, and has been tailored to the local Adelaide area'.

Edited by Jessica Berry

What I find interesting about this 'initiative' is that it appears that the employing of local people does not apply to high paid/influencial positions in Adelaide, seems it is ok to appoint someone from overseas for them.

Some examples are:

Adelaide Central Market (he left after 9 months in the job for family reasons)

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/council/media-centre/media-releases/ceo-announced-for-new-central-market-authority/

UniSA (University of South Australia)

http://www.unisa.edu.au/media-centre/releases/220812/

Department for Education and Child Development (left after 2 years in the job for family reasons)

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/portal/aboutdept.asp?group=aboutdept&id=ceo

SA Ambulance Service (although he has now moved to NSW)

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/about/nswhealth/Pages/asnsw_new_ce_appointed.aspx

TAFESA

https://www.tafesa.edu.au/tafe-sa-news/2013/05/08/tafe-sa-appoints-new-ceo

Thanks jessica for sharing this article, seems good news :)

Jobs for ‘local’ people rather than bringing in overseas labour in theory sounds good, but what would people class as ‘local’?

I know of some jobs in different industries that have been advertised recently (they are looking for additional staff) that are currently filled by migrants who got these jobs as new arrivals some time ago. The jobs that are now advertised have selection criteria that would make it impossible for them to get their own job if they were looking for work now and would also knock out a lot of people on this forum. I have an idea why they have done this, but it doesn’t help newbies looking for work.

For someone like me who has been here for 6 years, is an Australian citizen and has varied Australian work experience and Australian qualifications it is good as it knocks out competition for the jobs, but not so good for new arrivals.

A lot of people would have no idea of the above and sometimes ignorance can be bliss!

I personally have an issue (this is just my opinion and I suppose working with migrants I get a bit passionate about these things because I know for a lot of people it can tough) with the Government sending a company on a guilt trip for bringing in say for example a diesel mechanic from overseas but then it appears to be ok to bring in someone from overseas to fill a highly paid Government CEO position. I know the argument that they will use to justify their decisions, but to me it is a case of ‘do as I say not as I do’!!!!

I try to give a balanced view and yes I am saying in my opinion it is getting much tougher to gain work (I have always moved around in jobs, but in the current climate I am hoping to stay put in my current role as I know in the past 12 months there has been a significant drop in the number of positions that are available to me), but it is not impossible and as I always say it is supply and demand depending on what you do/are willing to do and a combination of other factors.

Hi Jessica,

In my opinion they didn't have to sign a pledge in the first place. Not many South Australian businesses hire migrants anyways. I've had people make comments in my face about a specific role they had advertised and how funny it was that people with Chinese, Indian background had applied for the job!! And there I was, a fellow migrant hearing this and wondering why I wasn't getting employed in my field.

And since this is backed by the government, I would like to ask the South Australian government to clarify the reasons for sponsoring immigrants such as myself to this state when they don't want to 'share' the jobs? Not that they help us find jobs.

I am sorry, you guys know me better than this. I'm not one to go down easily but I believe that all these legislations, regulations, laws whatever will not help this state. Money will, and money will not so easily come to a state that wants to progress yet wants to go backwards and stay the same.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali