Upper pay scale teacher in UK.... Same in Australia?!

Guest Alexis

Guest Alexis

Hi! I'm in need of a bit of advice! I was a primary school teacher in the UK for 9 years and was on upper pay scale 2 with subject leader of both art and dt. I'm looking into registering to work in Adelaide and have researched the process ahead. Only thing I can't find any information about is whether I will be able to go in at the same level as I was in the UK and how I prove the UPS2 pay scale as we weren't given certification of this!! Any advice/help with this would be greatly appreciated!! I have 2 children, one of which is only 2 so I'm not in a great hurry to return but know it will have to happen at some point and probably sooner rather than later!

Thanks in advance,

Alexis

Hi

My oh is just going through the salary reclassification process here where the DECD take into account your UK service and move you to the relevant teaching salary band. In uk he was right at the top of the scale with an additional TLR for management. It takes 8 weeks and all the info can be found online as they have want specific info confirming from uk employer. We should hear this week but he spoke to them early on and they said he will prob be put on band 8 which is $83000! Way better than uk

Hi

My oh is just going through the salary reclassification process here where the DECD take into account your UK service and move you to the relevant teaching salary band. In uk he was right at the top of the scale with an additional TLR for management. It takes 8 weeks and all the info can be found online as they have want specific info confirming from uk employer. We should hear this week but he spoke to them early on and they said he will prob be put on band 8 which is $83000! Way better than uk

That's good to hear, I have been teaching for 9 years in Scotland and currently at the top of the scale with a bit extra for the chartered teacher scheme, hope that that will be taken into account.

Hi guys. Just a word of advice. The only people (migrants) to start at the top, so to speak, are entrepreneurs who are already cashed up. To plan your new lives here in Aus, plan to start at the bottom and work up from there. That way you won't be disappointed, you'll know how much you're going to struggle (or not) and the saying that things will get better will be totally true.

Good luck with your plans and moves.

Guest Alexis

Thanks for the replies! I've heard the process can take a while and the fees to get registered, degree recognised, additional course etc were an un welcome addition to the research!! We've been in Adelaide since March and I've only just forced myself to look into working again! The salary is so much better than the UK, even starting near the bottom again so I guess we're pretty lucky in that respect! Just hoping I don't lose too many years as I worked hard to get to the position I was although I didn't have a TLR so won't be as high On the scale as band 8.

Leeds 1877 thank you and I hope the salary is close to what you are expecting :)