Getting into the mines

Guest sean

Hi everyone

I have been over here in Adelaide for 6 months now and i have been trying to break into the mining industry for the last couple of months but i keep getting knocked back due to not having any mining experience. I am a boilermaker/welder with over 20 years experience. Has anyone got any ideas how to get around this?

Hi Sean.

Yep I totally agree it is difficult to get into to the mining industry, what I have been told if you don’t have mining experience it is tough to break into the mining, an option may be look at the service industries or 2nd tire industries to the mining sector.

So, what I can say is I have just been laid off from Mitsubishi plant closure, and I have just got a short term contract at the Olympic Dam project.

When I know how this world operates I will be glad to advise…. Bearing in mind you may be taking advice from an armature.

Hope all go well

Kens

Hi Ken

Thanks for the advice.Sorry to here about you losing your job,i hope all goes well for you at olympic dam keep me posted on how you go on in the mean time i will just keep plugging away with my applications until they get fed up of me and have to give me a job!!

I have previously posted links to websites in the job section. Send your CV off to all the companies. Yes they do tend to employ people who have experience in the mines but there is a major shortage of qualified people so you might just get that phone call. Good luck.

Michelle

Guest Leanne & Mark

Hi Guys

Mark is a regional project Manager in structured cabling networks.

We were going down the sponsored route but the company has been so slow we are putting our TRA in. .....AFTER WAISTING MONTHS!!

When Mark spoke to the state manager of his potential employer he seemed a little concerned they wouldn't be able to pay him enough for his experience...the wage suited us though!!! But he did mention they lose a lot of staff to the mines because the pay is better.

Is there any call for his skills in the mines??

Guest Russfamily

u can start off by doing shutdown work at the mine sites just to get the feel of things, when your there ask questions about permanent roles. well its friday afternoon suns out 27 degrees and beer o clock. bye

Guest Footsoldier

Hi Sean,

After reading your thread ,the boys at work and i felt that we should give you a few pointers along the way to help you find employment in the mines as we have had the same hassles in the beginning.

First off don't bother sending your resume to the big companies direct ,the human resources people are only looking for the right people with experience and wont even send your resume to the relevant superintendent/supervisor on site.

Try the agencies ,i Know they are a pain in the ass to talk to and give you the run around but trust me with enough perseverance you some times get a lucky break. Unfortunately SA is a fantastic state but where mine work is concerned you have very limited options with where you want to go.

My advice GO WEST its booming here ,the pay would be around $20,000 to $30,000 gross more than working at Olympic dam and that will easily compensate for your airfares a year around $11,000 to $13,000 Gross. That way you can still enjoy living in SA and getting the big bucks!!!!!.

The last thread was right ,try shutdown work 1,2,3 day shuts will get you a sniff but it has to be worth it especially if its in WA. One day shuts are good because the labour hire companies are desperate to make up the numbers for the mine sites requirement's. If your interested i will post some labour hire companies to contact and websites to check out, my mate the big bad boiley knows a few companies to try here as well so that should get you up and running. The only down side is to make it worth your while ,you would be looking at a 2/1 or above rosta to be cost effective to fly.

Carlton

Guest paul_smart

Hi , was looking into mining work myself, i'm suprised you didn't get snapped up, i'm an Electrical Engineer so in a similar place, I've been in contact with a few mining firms, they didn't want to know, strangely, so go onto their websites and look up the CONTRACTORS that the mines us, these people are screaming for skills like yours, the money is just as good your just working for another firm, also, the mining industry in WA is massive, out of control almost, they are sucking the skilled people in, you can work fly in fly outs (3 weeks at the mine then a week off sort of thing) and they will fly you from Perth, so you just have to stand the fare from Ads to Perth, there is massive movement of people from SA to WA to compensate for the trend (all over in fact not just SA), us poms are then filling in the gaps left by the ozzies, the main mines in SA are iron ore - surface mining and Uranium,(uranium not for me to be honest.)

Also I have had good responses from Agencies finding workers for the mines, a lot of companies in the UK only employ this way too now, through an agency, it's just the trend so try your luck, let me know how you get on!

Sean

Just reading a couple of your previous posts, your missus said that she works for Adecco as a recruitment consultant, i just checked their website and they have boilermakers jobs. Why cant she get you a job?

Guest Footsoldier

Just a few lines on how I managed to get that elusive first start into mining,

After moving from Adelaide to Perth and applying for 80+ jobs within 2 months and only getting local work i moved back to SA (Grass, Green, Say no more !).I joined an Adelaide agency for local and mining work and was given the chance of working at O/D on a casual basis, because the guy who was going failed his drug test.

I worked there for 5 months. Then out of the blue one of my contacts in Perth rang me up and said would i like a job with a view to going permanent.

As of right now I'm working in the pilbara region on a FIFO to Perth and fly myself back to SA.

The rosta is ok, the money great and the lifestyle fantastic,

If anyone is interested I can give them the heads up on mine site life ???

Carlton

Hi Tom

You are right my other half does work for Addecco but they dont deal with the mining industry.I have a boilermaking job at the moment but it is not within the mining industry.

Sean

As of right now I'm working in the pilbara region on a FIFO to Perth and fly myself back to SA.

A friend works up at the Hope Downs Site in WA and is on FIFO from Adelaide to the Site. She works 23 days on, 7 days off - 10 hour shifts. She loves it!

Sean

This is what i was talking about its from the Adecco website.

Boilermaker

We have various clients throughout the Goldfields, Pilbara and costal WA areas that require the services of Boilermakers for shutdown work and/or ongoing work.

The shutdowns can vary from one day to three weeks, on going work various rosters. EX Perth only.

Pay rates vary from $38.00 to $52.00 per hour depending on location, above or below ground.

Flights, accommodation and meals provided.

Must be trade qualified.

So if you are looking for ongoing fly in fly out work or shutdown work or even short shutdowns between you normal shifts then we would like to hear from you. Either apply online or send your resume to Kalgoorlie@adecco.com.au.

For further information please call 08 9021 3155

Email: Please click the 'Apply Now' button below.

2100_12_03.gif

Guest Footsoldier
Hey footsoldier,

Which agency did you use in SA?? ta.

Hi Paul,

I used Hays resources for the SA job, just checked their website ,have plenty of engineers jobs(Electrical engineer in Perth was on there to).www.hays.com.au go to the mining and resources link.

For the WA job i used Mining employment services there web site is www.miningemployment.com.au

If your looking to stick with SA try career one for job ads as they are connected with the Saturday advertiser paper which now has a mining section.

On the other hand try www.mining4jobs.com.au this has all the jobs listed for the western Australia paper.

Remember when you talk to anyone from these agencies take what they say with a pinch of salt but stay positive.

Also by what i can tell by your threads you wont be out here for at least another year ?.That's good because O/D have only just started advertising for people for expansion.

Oh and by the way just to tell you when i did my induction at O/D we were told that there is more carcinogens from smoking 1/10th of a cigarette a year than the radiation exposure from the mine, the biggest danger is the dust particles under the stockpile but we always wore the correct breathing apparatus and periodically wore dust samplers which go to the radiation department to be analyzed.

Hope this helps ,

Carlton.

Guest Footsoldier

Things you need to consider...

There are no FIFO jobs for permanent BHP trades people only residential and drive in drive out.

Residential

Taking on a residential role would mean waiting at least a year before you would get subsidised accommodation at roxby downs.This is because of such a demand for housing and lack of rentals. You would stay at camp and drive yourself back to Adelaide(there is a coach that takes you halfway but it is only for the 4day on 4 day off guys). I know that when I left they were trying to address this issue with land sales.

Drive in drive out

Driving to O/D legally and with a rest halfway from the Adelaide CBD takes about 6 hours and apparently the Roo's are not as much of a problem as are the cows wondering about. I think BHP subsidise some of your fuel costs but you would have to check.

A lot of the contract companies do FIFO but sometimes the rostas are poor.

When i left, only Rex airlines flew to O/D but now Qantas have a charter through alliance airline's ,the only problem is a lot of the Red- E- deals have been snapped up by the labour hire groups, so if you considered that route you need to book well in advance(stay away from the Wednesday flights that's usually the shift change day).

If and when the proposed expansion does go ahead I'm sure this issue will be addressed with the flights ,espeicially as they were talking about building/extending the runway (Can only take prop aircraft so less bums on seats).

If any of this has changed let me know

Carlton

Guest Footsoldier

Here is a list of some companies to contact about mine work.

Skilled

Hays mining and resources

Chandler mcleod/ready workforce

Monodelpheous

United group resources

Roche mining group

Bort longyear

Sandvik

Brandrill

CSI

Exact Mining

Workpac

BGC

Integrated

RCR

Or try Byron website for a comprehensive list of agencies for each state.

One of the best sites for mining jobs is Seek.

Carlton

Guest Footsoldier

Hi Paul,

If your still in London you should check out BHP and RIO TINTO for sponsorship as I think they are largely British companies and I think there head offices are in London ????.Check out the web sites for contacts.

Carlton

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Footsoldier

Just heard a few days ago that in the next 5 years the amount of people required to fulfill new WA mining positions will exceed 45,000 !!!!.This will be on top of the proposed 10,000 people required for the Olympic dam expansion.

If anyone is thinking of trying the sponsored route to get in, try to go this way as at the moment i see a diverse mix of people who are sponsored and are getting benefits to, and due to the skills shortage companies are having to look for people outside of Australia.

Carlton.

Guest Footsoldier

Hi again,

Just been reading previous threads and saw a couple for dump truck drivers.

One of the best companies i know of is BGC ,they are a fairly big company and have operations all around australia. They are flexible with there approach to recruitment and don't mind giving trianing. Also they like taking on more women drivers as apparently they look after the vehicles better.

Carlton

Guest Footsoldier

Just to give people a heads up in this game ,the old saying of it ain't what you know its who you know rings so true in the mines.

If there is a job going, there could be 130 people apply for the one position but if the manager or co-ordinator knows the site where one person is applying from your guaranteed he/she will know someone there and will be giving that person a friendly call to check them out regardless of references or qualifications.

Also the same applies to your reputation proceeds you. If you were given "A window seat" at a mine site for say fighting,drink/drugs,or a safety violation that tag will stay with you as you try to get into other sites. Now i know people who have done this and still got in, but it has taken them a lot of hard yards to get back in.

A lot of managers move around the whole of Australia and abroad. It has taken them years to gain these contacts and point of reference so be warned don't be surprised if when applying for a job they don't know you already!!!.

Carlton