The importance of qualifications in the SA job scene!

Guest ali

Hi everyone,

As you may be well aware of the fact that I have recently been awarded a security operations certificate (I have applied and waiting for the license itself) it has opened up new windows of opportunity for me. I would've loved to continue or pursue a career in marketing (my area of expertise and the reason I was granted a visa in the first place) but we all know that sometimes we have to sacrifice our wishes, at least for a while in order to make a home out of Australia.

I have also started taking CERT III in business classes with ETS and they are government funded so I'm not paying anything for the courses. People if you have 475 SS visas like I do you can sign up with them as well. I am doing this for the sake of obtaining another Aussie qualification. It's also a great way to meet like-minded people and to expand your work network. Yesterday during class we were discussing workforce diversity and people asked me what I thought about the subject. I told them my story and during one of our breaks a manager at one of the biggest pub groups in the state told me that he might be able to get me a job as a pub manager in the city.

My advice to fellow migrants whether newly arrived or on a quest to employment is not to sit idle and dwell on issues that won't put you in the spotlight but to take action and give it your best shot. It is definitely worth it even if it doesn't look that way at the start. I am trying my best and so should you. If it doesn't work out, then I'll move on to Melbourne or some place else.

I hope this note helps someone out there and if you have any questions or want ETS's contact details simply drop a line here or pm me.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

Good for you Ali, hope it all works out for you on your new adventure x

Thank you CSS. I hope the information regarding ETS and other government funded programs helps someone out there.:smile:

Hi Ali,

Your posts always seem to have a positive spin on them despite sometimes suggesting that you have found it hard work. I would agree that qualifications help where ever in the world you are, maybe not in securing the job initially but certainly in making you more desirable and therefore more likely to be retained should conditions change. In regards to your own circumstances, did you find that any of your UK qualifications transferred or were they seen as not relevant as they were gained in a far away land? I personally am concerned over this as I am chartered and my institute operates in Australia so it transfers however im not sure whether employers consider formal qualifications as important especially when considered against locally achieved qualifications at a lower grade?

As always best of luck in your efforts and im sure that work was only a small part of your reasons for moving to Australia.

Simon

Hi Ali,

Your posts always seem to have a positive spin on them despite sometimes suggesting that you have found it hard work. I would agree that qualifications help where ever in the world you are, maybe not in securing the job initially but certainly in making you more desirable and therefore more likely to be retained should conditions change. In regards to your own circumstances, did you find that any of your UK qualifications transferred or were they seen as not relevant as they were gained in a far away land? I personally am concerned over this as I am chartered and my institute operates in Australia so it transfers however im not sure whether employers consider formal qualifications as important especially when considered against locally achieved qualifications at a lower grade?

As always best of luck in your efforts and im sure that work was only a small part of your reasons for moving to Australia.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your kind post. My UK qualifications seem OK over here. I have a BA from a reputable University and I haven't heard or been informed in any way that I need to transfer or sign up with a local institute to attain local qualifications. One thing though is that my work expertise is not relevant to my University degree. I have a BA in hotel and hospitality management and 3 years of relevant work experience in that area but 7 years of marketing management. That might be one of the problems and I'm tackling it the best I can. For instance acquiring a CERT III in business, then maybe a marketing qualification and so on.

I know of people on the same boat as you are and they didn't have any difficulties finding jobs but they don't live in SA (they live in Victoria and NSW). There might be some other factors contributing to me not getting hired as a marketing manager and that is the ratio of positions advertised to the number of applicants for those positions.

In any case, I decided to do a security course (there are lots of jobs in security, it is highly varied and diverse industry and the wages are good by SA standards) and I'm positive that I'll be recruited right after my license is issued. Simon, the most important thing in SA is to be resilient and not to give up. My situation is very different from yours and I believe that I should have signed up for marketing and business classes sooner. When you land here in Adelaide, even if you get a job right away try and take as many courses as time allows. This way you will blend in much faster and you will create a network of professionals in your field of work.

Yes work was not the only reason I moved to Australia but it is of high importance to me as it pays the bills and the booze.:biglaugh:

Stay in touch and if you have any questions that I can help with don't hesitate to contact me.

Ali

Good man ali, great positive mental attitude!!!!!

Good luck and I am sure good things are on there way :)

Andy

Thank you Andy. I've come a long way. It's been only 9 months but feels like a lifetime!

Ali

Ali you are an inspiration to a number of people on here. I wish everyone had your positive outlook. Hopefully everything will work out and you will be a millionaire in a few years

Thank you Ktee! I've given myself two years to make my first couple of millions here in Australia!:biglaugh: I'm trying to give something back to this forum as I found it very useful prior to my move to Adelaide and I hope the message helps a few others on the same boat. :smile:

Ali

Guest Haythem Hassan

Thanks ali for your posts, I can tell you that its really helpful, Im moving mid september and I think your experience will help me alotI want to ask you, did you tried help from recruitment or career coaching companies? I contacted some of them already and I have plan to meet them when I arriveand now im checking skills.gov.sa.au for training programs to get Australian qualification :)by the way, Im in similar situation like yours, I was graduated with degree in civil engineering and worked on construction management for 3 years and after that I opened my company in web design and development and digital marketing...Im actually looking to search for job when I arrive in Adelaide and I think this will be much difficult....

Thanks ali for your posts, I can tell you that its really helpful, Im moving mid september and I think your experience will help me alotI want to ask you, did you tried help from recruitment or career coaching companies? I contacted some of them already and I have plan to meet them when I arriveand now im checking skills.gov.sa.au for training programs to get Australian qualification :)by the way, Im in similar situation like yours, I was graduated with degree in civil engineering and worked on construction management for 3 years and after that I opened my company in web design and development and digital marketing...Im actually looking to search for job when I arrive in Adelaide and I think this will be much difficult....

Thank you Haythem,

You are on the right track. Keep doing what you are doing and remember that you are making a move because you are seeking a better lifestyle. At times it will be difficult as you will leave behind not only loved ones but your hometown and many things that you are used to. Adelaide is not that different from other places I've been to but the job market is tough down here. Don't let this dismay you. A newly arrived couple have already secured jobs (maybe not what they expected but good jobs anyways) by being proactive and going out there and meeting people. If you really want it you can get it, maybe it will turn out better than you expected and maybe not. One thing is for sure though, if you are willing then you will get employed.

Personally, I didn't get anything in marketing but I've been working ever since I got here. Now I'm really looking forward to starting a new career in security. I have good protective instincts, am generally good with people of diverse backgrounds, smart enough and fit enough and already people in the industry are giving me their cards. I decided to go for it because I have it in me. It's not going to be marketing but hey it pays well.

On the other hand I am starting an online import/export/digital marketing/digital sales sort of business. It will serve as my side business until it proves worthwhile then I might switch and continue doing it on a full time basis.

Remember that we as grownups have the tools to success. We are risk takers as we have left behind the comfort of our own countries and are almost starting from scratch in a new arena. We can make this work if we want to. If for some reason we don't quite make it in Adelaide we can always move interstate.

Ali

I personally found that once I had Australian qualifications my career opportunities opened up. I have studied 3 qualifications in Adelaide specifically to enable me to progress in the job market and carefully selected the course and provider. The 3 highest paying jobs I have had in Adelaide have either asked for 1 or 2 of the qualifications I have and without these qualifications I would not have got an interview and subsequently the job.

Of course this will not apply to everyone and you have to understand what you are studying, why you are studying it and also ensuring you are studying it at a reputable organisation or else the qualifications will be worthless.

I personally found that once I had Australian qualifications my career opportunities opened up. I have studied 3 qualifications in Adelaide specifically to enable me to progress in the job market and carefully selected the course and provider. The 3 highest paying jobs I have had in Adelaide have either asked for 1 or 2 of the qualifications I have and without these qualifications I would not have got an interview and subsequently the job.

Of course this will not apply to everyone and you have to understand what you are studying, why you are studying it and also ensuring you are studying it at a reputable organisation or else the qualifications will be worthless.

Well put, it really is about paddling your own canoe, but ensuring you have the right paddles.

Ali and Jessica, you're absolutely right what you've done!

Me too, I've done a certificate III last year and it changed everything for me! Since that point of time I got a job and an appropriate salary.

Having a 'national accredited job qualification' is the make or break especially here in Adelaide where competition is extreme.

I also feel 'Australian' since I got my Australian certificate III which has also boost my confidence.

My hubby is doing a certificate IV at tafe in order to stay competitive.

Like Jessica mentioned it is very important to chose the RTO very carefully.

Good luck to everyone.

You are so right there Jessica! Unfortunately the organization I'm doing the program with are not that reputable but it's for free and it will keep me busy for now. But your advice is very sound and I hope people highlight them and really use them.:smile:

Ali

Me too, I've done a certificate III last year and it changed everything for me! Since that point of time I got a job and an appropriate salary.

Having a 'national accredited job qualification' is the make or break especially here in Adelaide where competition is extreme.

I also feel 'Australian' since I got my Australian certificate III which has also boost my confidence.

Good luck to everyone.

Well done Rabeah! And this is just the start of it. I'm very happy that you guys are doing well. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!:smile:

Ali

Good luck to everyone.

Good to hear this news. Your husband has the right idea as well, you need to keep yourself competitive and stand out from the crowd. I also use the fact that I have completed the qualifications in my own time while working full time and paying for them myself as a selling point to employers, both in my application and in interview and I believe this has an impact. It shows I have got something about me! When I worked in HR and recruitment this is what we were looking for, people that showed some initiative and showed that they really wanted to work in their profession.

When I worked as a trainer and assessor at a training provider we used to get a lot of employers contacting us with job vacancies and wanting us to put students forward for them to interview with the view to offering them jobs. This is a one of those 'hidden' ways to get jobs.

Edited by Jessica Berry