Teaching help

I am trying to find some tips on getting primary teaching work here in Australia. I have been registered as a teacher here in Adelaide since last October and have managed to get a total of 9 days teaching work. Granted I am not avaliable all week just 3 days a week but I am signed up to 3 cluster schemes and have handed CVs and Authority to teach letters around some of the local schools as well as a doing a little bit of volunteer work in a couple of schools. I have now taken a short term contract as a SSO as doing nothing doesn't pay the bills. Has anyone got any tips- I am also working my way through the list of jobs of the DECD site but am not very hopefully. I haven't yet looked at the private sector and haven't joined an agency as I have no up-to-date teaching refrences.

Hi- pm me ur number and I will get me hubby to text you. He and one of our close friends is a primary teacher. My hubby has a contract for this year and next after only four days supply and our friend is working five days a week. Where are you based? Lots if work in northern adelaide...there is often more trt than teachers!

Guest Adelaide_bound

If you want to sign up with an agency, there is Switch and Randstad - Randstad don't really seem all that bothered imho, but Switch seem ok so far (just pants money). Don't worry about the references being up to date - I think they just want to check you were actually a teacher at some point in a sort of 'tick the boxes' way - they offered me work before they would've had a chance to check mine, so they can't be too fussed.

Also, just try going around the Catholic/Indy schools near you with your cv, or phone up and ask if you can make an appointment to see the person in charge of TRT - I've been told by a couple now that as its Term 3 there aren't a lot of TRT's left on the books, so are glad to get some more. In my experience its not hugely worth just going around and dropping off CVs, I imagine they end up on a pile somewhere, but if you actually get to speak to someone, you've got more chance :)

Hi,

I'd agree with Adelaide bound that you really need to meet people, to sell yourself etc. Also, to work in the private catholic schools you no longer need the additional catholic police check so I would ring up and make appointments with the deputy to go in and discuss TRT work. I think this might be an avenue worth pursuing.

We are based in the South, and I have been lucky enough to get a contract until Xmas working part time and this was due to being in the right place at the right time etc.

I hope this helps you, Karen

Hi all, thanks for your replies. We are currently living in the southern suburbs so work in the north would be impracticable .at the moment I will try some of the catholic and other independent schools in the area and see if I have any luck with that. I agree with you adelaidenow with just handing in cvs, often the people on front desk are not to impressed that you have taken up their time and the cv probably ends up in the bin or at the bottom of a large pile. I had also tried the agency route back in term 4 last year and they told me to call back in term2 so I guessed they weren't really interested perhaps I should try again.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Switch have been calling me a lot so they seem to have a bit of work on at the moment (having said that I'm twiddling my fingers wondering if I'm working tomorrow or not at the moment lol), so give them a try - just be prepared for not a lot of money! :)