recruitment agencies not responding

Guest Kiwi

Hi Everyone

Just moved to Adelaide from New Zealand a week ago and emailed half a dozen agencies and none of them have bothered to reply.

Has anyone had this problem before. I can start work asap and emailed them my cover letter and resume so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks

Michael

Please don't take it personal. Agencies do have a bad reputation for being ignorant and ignoring messages. Is it possible for you to go in person or even call them?

I will be going into the city next week to do some things so I will go in and see them, that way they cant ignore me.

Guest steveandfiona

Hi, i arrived 2 months ago and had the same problem, after living in Auckland for 7 years and never having any problems getting work, this is really frustrating. Just persevere and you will find something. I got a job offer on Wednesday and start Monday. But you just got to keep at it all the time

Hi, i arrived 2 months ago and had the same problem, after living in Auckland for 7 years and never having any problems getting work, this is really frustrating. Just persevere and you will find something. I got a job offer on Wednesday and start Monday. But you just got to keep at it all the time

Did you get the job thur a agency or via seek? what industry do you work in? Lots of people must be looking for jobs Adelaide at the moment,because I have applied for half a dozen jobs that im well qualified to do and heard nothing. Only been a week so I cant complain I guess.

Guest steveandfiona
Did you get the job thur a agency or via seek? what industry do you work in? Lots of people must be looking for jobs Adelaide at the moment,because I have applied for half a dozen jobs that im well qualified to do and heard nothing. Only been a week so I cant complain I guess.

I got this job on seek, it was thru an agency but a small one. I did register with a couple of agencies who promised work, then heard nothing. also applied for about 30 jobs on seek, most of which I heard nothing back. I have worked in logistics, also accounts, which is what the job I have just got is in, but they told me the logistics experience helped. Its not my ideal choice but better to be working than not! you need to be patient, you will get something, I understand it gets frustrating, apparently priority will be given to locals instead of us immigrants, and there are alot of applicants for each job. Good luck Fiona

Have you seen this posting? It can take time to get a new job, I certainly would not be stressing after a week....

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/38765-statistics-time-its-taking-find-job-australia.html

To be fair, recruitment agencies (along with employers) are being inundated with applications and while I do agree their methods are sometimes questionable, I know from personal experience of working in HR/recruitment roles that you do need to be patient as they will be dealing with many other people that also think they are well qualified for the role and available for work straight away.

I got this job on seek, it was thru an agency but a small one. I did register with a couple of agencies who promised work, then heard nothing. also applied for about 30 jobs on seek, most of which I heard nothing back. I have worked in logistics, also accounts, which is what the job I have just got is in, but they told me the logistics experience helped. Its not my ideal choice but better to be working than not! you need to be patient, you will get something, I understand it gets frustrating, apparently priority will be given to locals instead of us immigrants, and there are alot of applicants for each job. Good luck Fiona

I am just going to apply for any job and every job,any money is good money.The main thing is getting your foot in the door and once you do that you can start being picky I guess. I decided not to put on my cover letter that I was from New Zealand, as I also heard they rather employee locals. Good luck with your new job and hope all goes well.

Guest richardmcgowan

Hi,

I would also suggest going in and meeting with the agencies. It gives them a chance to meet you and go over your CV and get an idea of what you are looking for.

I think the main issue is that there aren't a lot of jobs around. I work in IT and arrived in Adelaide 8 weeks ago and so far haven't found anything. The number of jobs via Seek is also going down on a daily basis. Be prepared to spend a few hours every day searching as it's hard work.

Hope this helps. It won't be personal, it's just that they don't have a lot to offer at the minute.

I think the main issue is that there aren't a lot of jobs around. The number of jobs via Seek is also going down on a daily basis.

I would agree. Adelaide also has a 'hidden' job market where a lot of jobs are not advertised. I was talking to friends/colleagues and they were telling me of 2 companies, 1 has recently laid off over 40 temps and the other company a similar number, so the recruitment agencies already have all these people on their books now back looking for work.

Bear in mind that the recruitment agencies have hundreds of people in their databases!!!

Don't take it personal if they don't reply. A lack of opportunities for work combined with hundreds of applicants is not a good starting point.

They will call you when an opportunity arises and expect you to come in asap.

At the moment - like others mentioned before - the labour market is very quiet and Adelaide is very 'special' in terms of employment, anyway (local work experience).

My advice would be if you have a trade qualification contact local employers (HR department) via telephone and advertise yourself .

Guest steveandfiona
Update: After only 11 days of being in Adelaide I got offered a job this afternoon,I am so stoked I found a job this quickly.

well done. is it in the industry you wanted to be in

Guest steveandfiona
Yea it is, The job was advertised on seek but went through a recruitment agency funny enough.

haha,just as well they don't know about this forum and how much we have bitched about agencies. it is a good feeling though when you get offered something

Guest Kennymclachlan

Just register and visit as many recruiters as you possibly can for your sector. Adelaide job hunting can be very frustrating sometimes! I'm afraid I have nothing on my books at the moment but some of the larger recruiters may well have.

If you are able to, make sure you try to network with people in your industry also. Networking is very important within the Adelaide area.

If I can be of any help at any time then I'll be sure to contact you. Good luck.