Nurse interview at Royal Adelaide Hospital - any advice/tips please?

Guest MandiMR2

Guest MandiMR2

Hi there, I have today been offered an interview at the Cancer Centre at the RAH & as exciting as this is, I am dreadful at interviews - mind goes blank, nauseous with nerves etc.

So I was hoping there may be some members who have had interviews at the RAH that would share some advice & tips please?

Anything is greatly appreciated thanku.

Mandi x

Hi

not sure if I will be much help as I work in neurology at the RAH, where usual questions are about leadership, team work, conflict resolution, and what you can bring. There is new paperwork we now ask applicants to complete before their Interview and asks why you want to work at the RAH, and about the fundamentals of nursing care etc. I'm not back until Monday but could send you a copy if you don't have one yet?

Good luck, they generally like British nurses as we have experience and are hard working! Being keen and nice goes a long way :)

Gill

Guest Rachael M Bowen
Well done on the interview Mandi! everything crossed you get it! Can I be nosey and ask did you apply via seek or contact the RAH direct?

Good luck! :) x

yes can I be nosey too? Also are you doing the interview via Skype or telephone?

Mandi When i had mine back in 2009, It was midnight, i had lots of postits on the dining room table so i could answer basically anything they threw at me . They telephoned me on the dot and explained who was present it was really bizarre there were 5 people included in this conversation. We Basically just spoke about what I was doing in my present employment and where If anywhere I had worked before, Then i was asked why I wanted to move to Australia and specifically Adelaide. It was really relaxed and I was asked nothing in a medical aspect which if Im honest did surprise me. That was only what happed to me so it could be different for you, Just remember that they are wanting british nurses and will not be set to catch you out. Good Luck and congratulations on your interview. The move will be much less worrying for you if you already have employment before you get there, (hope to meet you soon at the meeting)

Hi Mandi, I don't have experience of that hospital. But I am sending you a message of general advice and moral support. There is no need to feel naueous and nervous for this interview. Remember that this employer needs nurses with your skills and knowledge. You would not have been granted your visa unless they felt you were a good prospect.

Read the person specification carefully. I generally use this for the basis of interview questions. Also, consider linking parts of the person spec to examples of your own practice, eg how you relsolved a difficult situation with a distressed patient. And link evidence based practice to your responses if possible, to show your awareness of up to date nursing R+D relating to practice.

Have one or two questions ready to ask them written on post it notes (good idea soccer 65)

Lastly, when the nerves hit... Remember your vocation and the many patients in Adelaide now who are battling with the symptoms and gruelling treatments for that god awful disease called cancer. You can give them hope and make a difference.

So Mrs! Smile at the web cam, shoulders back, **** forward. And let them know you are worth it.

Best of luck. Cx

Guest MandiMR2

Thanku everyone for all your comments & positiveness!

The interview was at 0200hrs this morning & went really well! It was more of a conversation than the interrogation I anticipated lol!!!!

It was by telephone, to a panel of 4 so I was on loud speaker & they were really appreciative of the time here & were quite relaxed & informal.

I was asked to tell them all about myself, what duties & responsibilities I have in my current role, what my chemotherapy training insisted of, what qualities an haem/onc nurse should have & what challenges can often be involved in this area of nursing care & how would my skills & knowledge be useful in such situations. They also enquired about my visa & my reasons for moving to Adelaide & my travel plans.

When it was my turn, I asked what types of employment contracts are available, working hours/shifts & flexibility, typical nurse-to-patient ratios, what level & depth of orientation would be offered, what are their expectations of newly acquired staff withinthe 1st 6 months, what provisions is there for continuing training &education, how do they demonstrate that they value their nursing staff & what current challenges if any is the unit currently facing. The interview then concluded with them saying they would be in touch regarding the result of theinterview...

So not as bad as I thought!! in fact I don't think they were as prepared for my questions as I was for theirs lol!!

I heard about the vacancy through www.sahealthcareers.com.au where once registered, send me alerts to my match job description/search criteria, so when I saw this one I just applied online & was offered the interview at a time of my choice.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who isn't already registered as its a web base similar to NHS jobs, covering the 5 local health networks of SA that deliver public hospital & community based services, hence I get alerts almost daily.

Many thanks & appreciation again to you all for your interest & your time to post.

I'll keep you posted!!

Mandi x

Edited by MandiMR2

Guest kate11

so glad to hear it went well, sounds like you handled it amazingly, let us know how you get on! Ive got a while until i get to this stage, im starting my 3rd year nursing but plan to get out there asap after finishing, really cant wait!

good luck ,really have my fingers crossed for you! :)

Guest Rachael M Bowen
Thanku everyone for all your comments & positiveness!

The interview was at 0200hrs this morning & went really well! It was more of a conversation than the interrogation I anticipated lol!!!!

It was by telephone, to a panel of 4 so I was on loud speaker & they were really appreciative of the time here & were quite relaxed & informal.

I was asked to tell them all about myself, what duties & responsibilities I have in my current role, what my chemotherapy training insisted of, what qualities an haem/onc nurse should have & what challenges can often be involved in this area of nursing care & how would my skills & knowledge be useful in such situations. They also enquired about my visa & my reasons for moving to Adelaide & my travel plans.

When it was my turn, I asked what types of employment contracts are available, working hours/shifts & flexibility, typical nurse-to-patient ratios, what level & depth of orientation would be offered, what are their expectations of newly acquired staff withinthe 1st 6 months, what provisions is there for continuing training &education, how do they demonstrate that they value their nursing staff & what current challenges if any is the unit currently facing. The interview then concluded with them saying they would be in touch regarding the result of theinterview...

So not as bad as I thought!! in fact I don't think they were as prepared for my questions as I was for theirs lol!!

I heard about the vacancy through www.sahealthcareers.com.au where once registered, send me alerts to my match job description/search criteria, so when I saw this one I just applied online & was offered the interview at a time of my choice.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who isn't already registered as its a web base similar to NHS jobs, covering the 5 local health networks of SA that deliver public hospital & community based services, hence I get alerts almost daily.

Many thanks & appreciation again to you all for your interest & your time to post.

I'll keep you posted!!

Mandi x

WOW!! you were really on the ball to say you only had 5 days to prepare... did you know who was on the panel before hand? or did they just introduce themselves when they called you? From your recommendation I too registered on SA Health and received my first alert today for QEH, I'm not planning on going out until Sept next year so a little too early to apply but it was good to see the job spec and the list of legislation etc that governs SA allied health so many thanks for that tip xx. I know it's daft but feel excited for you can't wait to hear the news. p.s anymore news on a met up?

Guest MandiMR2
so glad to hear it went well, sounds like you handled it amazingly, let us know how you get on! Ive got a while until i get to this stage, im starting my 3rd year nursing but plan to get out there asap after finishing, really cant wait!

good luck ,really have my fingers crossed for you! :)

Thanku Kate & stick at it & go there, I don't envy nursing in the UK now & very much sympathise with newly qualified nurses, I wish I'd done it sooner!!! If you need any help or advice just ask!! x

Guest MandiMR2
WOW!! you were really on the ball to say you only had 5 days to prepare... did you know who was on the panel before hand? or did they just introduce themselves when they called you? From your recommendation I too registered on SA Health and received my first alert today for QEH, I'm not planning on going out until Sept next year so a little too early to apply but it was good to see the job spec and the list of legislation etc that governs SA allied health so many thanks for that tip xx. I know it's daft but feel excited for you can't wait to hear the news. p.s anymore news on a met up?

Hi Rach, preparation is key in my eyes! so its never too early, like you I registered ages ago to primarily gain more insight of the nursing over there.

I only knew beforehand that the ward manager & senior nurse would be part of the panel, the other 2 was another senior nurse & someone from HR & they all introduced themselves very informally at the beginning of the call.

Those interested in the meet up are from Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds & myself from Lincoln, so I'll av a look see where's pretty central for all & post some ideas on that thread x

Guest MandiMR2

Just to let you all know that I didn't get the post I interviewed for, primarily because it was to cover maternity leave & to start later this month & as I'm not moving there until Jan the post went to someone who could start as required. However I did get a lovely e-mail from one of the nurses on the panel, who reassured that I interviewed exceptionally well & would be considered for any future vacancies & has invited to go meet her in Sept when I go over for my visa validation trip!! So bad news but also positive news!! At least I know what to expect for future interviews.

Thank you to everyone for your interest & words of moral support x

Sorry you didn't get the post but that's great news about being able to meet with the nurse when you go, as many have said it sometimes a case of 'who you know' and hopefully she may be helpful when you arrive for good in January!

Looking forward to your reccie report when you are there in September :) x

Guest MandiMR2

Thank you Kel87.

Yes I'll definitely report back! Although I've already been twice! lol

Its a shame you live so far up north, I'm arranging a meet up in October in Doncaster, would have been fab to meet you!

Take care x

Hi sorry to jump on your thread but my hubby and I are both nurses. We've been here 6 years now. We are originally from Doncaster. Andy works in a private ICU, I work for SA Health. It took me longer to find something I enjoyed my background is midwifery) although I work as an RN now. There are jobs out there please don't panic. They may not necessarily be permanent but contracted or casual. I've been in a contracted position for almost 3 years now but my hubby is permanent. Rates of pay are excellent. Good luck with your hunt if you need any more info drop me a pm :)

Guest Rachael M Bowen
Just to let you all know that I didn't get the post I interviewed for, primarily because it was to cover maternity leave & to start later this month & as I'm not moving there until Jan the post went to someone who could start as required. However I did get a lovely e-mail from one of the nurses on the panel, who reassured that I interviewed exceptionally well & would be considered for any future vacancies & has invited to go meet her in Sept when I go over for my visa validation trip!! So bad news but also positive news!! At least I know what to expect for future interviews.

Thank you to everyone for your interest & words of moral support x

Oh sorry to hear that but at least you've made a lasting impression. I guess it's difficult to judge when to apply for jobs, on the checklist thingy's they say at 6 months...... but like in the UK I guess they want someone ASAP. The job adverts that I have thought I would like to apply for but it's too soon I just e-mailed the named contact with my CV, asked if they consider UK applicants , asked them to read my CV and keep me on file if they thought I met the job spec and could I stay in contact with them.

I have to say each one replied and said it would be fine to contact them closer to the time I was expecting to leave the UK and they'd see if they had anything available. I was well impressed that they even responded to tell you the truth which therefore gives you that bit of hope.

Just out of interest are there any other Occupational Therapists out there on PIA? If so would be great to chat. I even set up a group on PIA but I stand alone or am I just Billy No Mates LOL ! :embarressed::goofy:

Thank you Kel87.

Yes I'll definitely report back! Although I've already been twice! lol

Its a shame you live so far up north, I'm arranging a meet up in October in Doncaster, would have been fab to meet you!

Take care x

Hello,

I've not been online for ages as I've been too busy.

My wife works on the ward there she really enjoys it. She's an EN and studying to be an RN and is on placement elsewhere for eight weeks. Best of luck in the future.

Cheers,

Cooler