Electrical vacancies

Guest Maddisons

Guest Maddisons

What's the market like for electrical jobs?.Have registered with O'Halloran Hill Campus for the AS3000 Wiring Rules Course on our arrival late June 08.Already have an ARTC as an Electrical Mechanic(B class i believe),hence course to gain "A" class licence.

Applied for many jobs on line, but as you can imagine,we really need to be on site to gain employment. As they say"if you don't try you don't get"

The Maddisons jason 37,paula 35,bethan 9,chloe mae 6.:unsure:

Guest Russfamily

There r a good amount of electrical jobs around in the Advertiser every saturday. most are for installation electricians, but there is a steady flow for maint guys as well the as 3000 wiring course is aimed at the installation side of things but all electricians have to have it before they can work (offically) most probally get a job with a b class but will be doing mainly mechanical work. by the sound of it to me you arnt a b class but an electrician having to sit the as 3000, believe me theres a massive difference between a b class licience and an a class. A b class is aimed at say a plumber that wants to connect a boiler to a supply, or a fitter to disconnect a motor/ wire one up , u know what i mean the small jobs around plant

Guest Maddisons

Cheeers Russfamily

I am a fully qualified sparky in the UK,having taken the latest wiring rules course.When i contacted the SA licensing about the criteria behind my ARTC as an Electrical Mechanic they said" Just take our wiring rules course and you will then gain an A class license".

My whole visa 136 application was mainly granted on my installation history and qualifications.

Again many thanks for your local Knowledge.

The Maddisons.

:confused:

Guest TRIMIX
What's the market like for electrical jobs?.Have registered with O'Halloran Hill Campus for the AS3000 Wiring Rules Course on our arrival late June 08.Already have an ARTC as an Electrical Mechanic(B class i believe),hence course to gain "A" class licence.

Applied for many jobs on line, but as you can imagine,we really need to be on site to gain employment. As they say"if you don't try you don't get"

I am not sure if I understand what you are asking. The usual procedure to get your licence is to get a pre-migration visa as a general electrician. The when you arrive you do the same assessment again to get a Oz equivalent qualification either Mechanic or Fitter ( also a few other routes ) . Then when you do the wiring rules and pass it you take your on arrival re-assessment and your wiring rules cert to the OCBA and then apply for your licence which takes 28 days once applied for and had your picture taken at a driving licence centre.

You cannot certify any work until you have this under your belt, but can work as a trades assistant while you are waiting usually you are worked like a dog until then.

But there are a few jobs for electricians especially on domestic for around $28 an hour or less, industrial you are normally required to have PLC knowledge as well as a bonus. Commercial there are also reasonable jobs out there.

Neil

Guest Maddisons

paul

As far as i know you can not sit the AS3000 Wiring Rules course in the UK.You can only gain an A class license when you have sat the course in Australia,regardless of your UK Qualifications.As i have City and Guilds part 1 and 2 also 17th edition regs,but still need AS3000 when i get there.its an 18 week 1 night a week course.

Guest TRIMIX

Firstly at this present time you cannot do your wiring rules from the UK or your on arrival assessment from the UK. Both have to be done here.

I obtained my general electrician category from the TRA.

Before I left the UK I spoke to the TRA and had my on arrival form sent to my UK address and again sent all the same docs across again, before leaving giving the forms three weeks start on my arrival. On this form you have to state an Australian address I had on arrival assistance.

If you time your forms correctly the assessment is always done around the 15th of each month if you miss this date you have to wait for the next month around the 15th.

I also booked my wiring rules before leaving the UK and paid for it by transerring money directly to the companies bank account using Ozforex or you can use a visa card. Note because you are not employed in the trade yet you have to pay a full fee I think it was around $400 but I am not sure of the cost now. I did my course three days after arriving with a company called Peer Training on Port Road tutor named Jess.

This took one week full time.

I then had my positive TRA assesment delivered to my new Oz address (note they will not send it to the UK).

I then paid my fee at the OCBA and had my licence 28 days later. You cannot sign off any work until you have this and a number and believe me everyone over here knows you should have a licence to sign off work and you will be asked for it. Other than that you can only work as a trades assistant the pay rate is the same as a fourth year apprentice roughly.

There is a problem with this as you have to do the assessment again when you get here, there is a possiblity you could fail it, and I know people who have!

If you fail it you will get a two hour phone technical interview which again I know people who have, then the only option you have then is to pay for a TAFE or similar to give you a trades test, or go back to school as an apprentice. This is the only legal route to work as an electrician. So make sure all your paperwork is in order and if it is not brush up on any school you may have done.

To give you an idea I know someone who failed the lot and his wiring rules first time round and after a lot of hardship and working casual as a trades assistant and doing some schooling it took him a year to get his licence.

I hope this spells the correct route for you.

And if anyone gets in Australia fairly quickly the construction at VIP Electrical Services will soon be looking for loads of staff. www.vipelectrical.com.au

Guest paul_smart

Cheers guys,

lot to absorb there TRIMIX, i'm applying for electrician (special calss) with the TRA, did you have to get 2 certified copies of your exams?? if you send off 2 batches of documents? can I go directly to the TAFE course, sounds quite confusing, or best just to do the trades course. got to be on the ball then, did it mean you had to apply twice to the TRA??

Guest TRIMIX
Cheers guys,

lot to absorb there TRIMIX, i'm applying for electrician (special calss) with the TRA, did you have to get 2 certified copies of your exams?Yes because you will need the second lot later(you can do this by having one lot certified and then photocopy it).

If you send off 2 batches of documents? can I go directly to the TAFE course, if you are thinking of doing an apprenticeship you will definately need employer sponsorship.

If you are talking about doing the wiring rules you can just jump on a course but 18 weeks part time is a long time at TAFE. This will only give you the wiring rules part.

Check up about special class are they allowed to certify jobs and connect to the mains!

As I understand things from the OCBA the only trade allowed to get the A class cert is the electrical mechanic route, a electrical fitter and other trades get a B class therefore you will need a A class electrician to certify your work to connect it to the mains.

Sounds quite confusing, or best just to do the trades course. got to be on the ball then, did it mean you had to apply twice to the TRA? Yes once for your visa and once when yo actually arrive in Australia but the second time is free as you already paid this fee on your first application, if you fail this you pay again, or do not get into the trade.

What are you calling a special class what is your background, if from that route you are talking about a instrument tech there are jobs out there and there is a mine in Strathalbyn looking for instrument techs.

To give you some idea this is my qualifications list for the following two electrical trades I have certs for.

C&G 236 parts 1,2,C Electrical installations, C&G 224 parts 1,2,C electronic servicing,236 electronic installations module, C&G 200 electrical engineering, BTEC ONC and HNC in electrical and electronic engineering. I studied down the EITB route for my apprenticeship.

I am classed as an electrical mechanic and a electrical fitter, I also have a B class in refrigeration.

The point I am making documentation and evidence is a major thing over here and badge collecting is well respected on your CV.

Any more I will gladly answer your questions.

• 1 month later...
Guest Melissa Smyth

What are the wages like for electricians once over in Adelaide and working, enough to keep a family on? Are there any opportunities for self-employed electricians?:notworthy:

Guest Melissa Smyth

What are the wages like for electricians? Is it enough to keep a family on? Are there any opportunities for self-employed electricians? Thanks:notworthy:

Guest TRIMIX
What are the wages like for electricians? Is it enough to keep a family on? Are there any opportunities for self-employed electricians? Thanks:notworthy:

Wages are between 21 dollars just come out your time to around $32 fully skilled most are paying around $28 $29 per hour casual is around $30 per hour and some companies also pay a fuel allowance if you do not have a van.

Self employed as a direct subby to a company around $40 per hour but very cut throat, a traditional self employed person find you own work same as the UK someone always willing to do it for cash and will undecut yo. But between $45 to $95 per hour depending on your line of work and technical skills.

House bashing comes in around $45 per hour or sy $100 dollars per socket if you do it yourself, new builds to sub to a local builder ie TF for Fairmont or someone $5 per point materials supplied :arghh:

Yes you can support a family my wife is a full time student and we have three girls under 11 years at state school.

Neil

Guest Melissa Smyth
Wages are between 21 dollars just come out your time to around $32 fully skilled most are paying around $28 $29 per hour casual is around $30 per hour and some companies also pay a fuel allowance if you do not have a van.

Self employed as a direct subby to a company around $40 per hour but very cut throat, a traditional self employed person find you own work same as the UK someone always willing to do it for cash and will undecut yo. But between $45 to $95 per hour depending on your line of work and technical skills.

House bashing comes in around $45 per hour or sy $100 dollars per socket if you do it yourself, new builds to sub to a local builder ie TF for Fairmont or someone $5 per point materials supplied :arghh:

Yes you can support a family my wife is a full time student and we have three girls under 11 years at state school.

Neil

Neil,

Thanks for reply at least we know we could survive on one wage. Did you emigrate from UK to Adelaide? How do you find the heat in Adelaide, unbearable sometimes but ok rest of time, or unbearable a LOT of the time?! We are looking into emigrating but can't decide between Oz, New Zealand or Canada!!! I know some police officers who emigrated to Adelaide and love it which is why we're looking at Adelaide and heard house prices reasonable although rising fast.

Melissa:jiggy:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest marty

The wages are good and conditions normally good, the heat is not too bad as long as you dont have to go in a roof in 40 deg, the wiring is not like the UK no ring mains but you can drop cables in cavities so you dont have to chase bloody walls. The AS 3000 has been replaced with a the AS/NZ3000-2007 (2007 edition) according to our governing body OTR a SA Goverment Dept the new rule book is based on the UK and european Regs so sitting the exam may not be too hard, An unrestricted B Class licence will let you do eveything an A Class can but not look after an apprentice, the hard part is getting someone to give you a job with a B Class. As far as being self employed you have to satify OCBA that you have the capabilities to run a business including capitilal behind you in case some thing goes wrong. If you work without a licence there is a maximum fine of $250000 if you get caught.