Any overseas nurses emigrating who haven't got a job?

Guest macrad

Hi, I'm a uk senior charge nurse working in orthopaedics, we are moving to Adelaide in January on a skilled independant permanent visa, tickets bought, accomodation aranged and my AHPRA eligibility sorted out. I've applied for a few nursing jobs with no success. I've given up for the time being and plan to start applying for jobs again once we actually arrive in Adelaide.

I was just wondering if there are any nurses who have emigrated to Adelaide and not got a job?

I'm hoping that the reason I'm getting no-where with my applications is down to still being in the UK rather than a lack of job opportunities in Adelaide:unsure:

Any advice appreciated

Guest mature1_arnie

Yep once you are here you will work no problems, there are lots of expat UK nurses working here in lots of different medical fields good luck old expat 1961 vintage arnie

Guest leemina

I worked on acute medical wards in the UK (gastro & respiratory). Came out in August 2011 with never even visiting Australia before, no jobs for me or my hubby lined up. Started with NASA (agency) after a few weeks, and then got full time job on respiratory ward at FMC in October 2011, became permanent the following year, and last year was made a senior. It can be done, just make sure you have enough pennies to cover you for a while (just in case). Good luck.

Guest MandiMR2

Hi there, I'm a senior haematology/oncology nurse, also making the move in January, with no job as yet. I've just returned from a 3 week visa validation & research trip. Whilst there I visited at all the hospitals, left my CV with the clinical managers of haem/onc area & made a few contacts. One informal visit actually turned into a full on interview, there & then with no warning!!!

I can definitely say don't worry about not having secured employment, I'm not!! I think being there definitely makes a difference, as many of the managers I spoke actually to prefer nurses to be already in Adelaide, fully registered with AHPRA & to be able to meet them face to face. Many of the contacts I made appeared very interested when I made enquiries, but asked me to get back in touch when I'm back there permanently. There are very few permanent positions available right now, but plenty of pool nurses are required everywhere, so as mentioned above, you may not get to work in the area you're from immediately, but with either agency or pool work you will get your foot in the door, which will then hopefully lead to other doors.

Best of luck, Mandi x

Thanks for the replies, I'm feeling reassured now :smile: Been having various moments of panic in the recent weeks, especially since we sold our house and things became very real!! Now that I can stop worrying about the job front, I can start to get excited about the move and look forward to it all:jiggy:That and the fact that our short term apartment is at Glenelg beach, google street view looking good!!

Guest Rachael M Bowen
Hi there, I'm a senior haematology/oncology nurse, also making the move in January, with no job as yet. I've just returned from a 3 week visa validation & research trip. Whilst there I visited at all the hospitals, left my CV with the clinical managers of haem/onc area & made a few contacts. One informal visit actually turned into a full on interview, there & then with no warning!!!

I can definitely say don't worry about not having secured employment, I'm not!! I think being there definitely makes a difference, as many of the managers I spoke actually to prefer nurses to be already in Adelaide, fully registered with AHPRA & to be able to meet them face to face. Many of the contacts I made appeared very interested when I made enquiries, but asked me to get back in touch when I'm back there permanently. There are very few permanent positions available right now, but plenty of pool nurses are required everywhere, so as mentioned above, you may not get to work in the area you're from immediately, but with either agency or pool work you will get your foot in the door, which will then hopefully lead to other doors.

Best of luck, Mandi x

Hi Mandi

I meant to ask last Sunday re AHPRA, as an OT I have to do a 2 stage skills assessment, stage 1 desktop which is my degree and transcripts and all the certified docs we discussed Sunday. This has been assessed by OCT which is basically the UK equivalent of college of OT as suitable to practice in SA. stage 2 is a 6 month practice observation which is completed once I am in SA and working. I have looked on AHPRA site under OT registration for forms and they all appear to be for those already in Australia. It also has conflicting info re: when to register, the site states I need to be in work over there and that the employer has to agree to carry out the stage 2 assessment, but then when I have liaised with managers that are advertising positions they say I first need to be registered with AHPRA!!!! I've contacted AHPRA twice via e-mail but haven't really had any joy so will try to phone them.

I just wondered what the process is for Nurses? do you have to undertake a 2 stage assessment or just the desktop?

cheers Rach xx

Edited by Rachael M Bowen

Guest MandiMR2

Hi Rach,

Ours is different huni, I have no idea what the desktop is! Have you searched for any fellow OT's on here? I would ring them to be sure.

As for nurses our assessment is done by AHPRA & includes completion of an application form withattached certified documents pretty much same as your form. Once that issubmitted & assessed we then receive an 'assessment determination', whichis acknowledgement that we are considered eligible for registration. We are thenrequired to physically attend the AHPRA office to once again provide proof ofidentity & Australian residence, they will then conduct a criminal historycheck which completes registration, granting entitlement to work in all Australianstates. No practice observation is required.

I would ring then Rach, they were really nice when I attended a couple of weeks ago. Let me know how you get on.

Mandi x

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Thanks mandi....... going to try to ring them later tonight. As for OT's on here I formed a group and I'm the only member!!!!! LOL feel like a right Billy No mates :goofy:

I am not involved at all in nursing/healthcare but I do remember hearing a story about job losses in nursing recently so I googled it and found this from October 1st http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-01/nursing-job-cuts-breach-promise-sa-opposition/4990524 - in the related stories there are links about health cuts in the public (not private) sector, so maybe this has affected job prospects with public hospitals not sure of their future budgets (so a bit more reluctant to promise anything at the moment).

Guest MandiMR2

I was in Adelaide when the above news was released & saw & heard it all over the media, amongst many other threats of job cuts in a variety of public sectors.

& as I am involved in nursing & healthcare & visited all the hospitals in Adelaide & spoke to several ward managers, I still have no concerns about finding work once there. So keep the faith fellow nursing members. Mandi x

Edited by MandiMR2

Guest AliinAus

Don't know what the application is like in SA but in WA there is usually a selection criteria that you need to address in addition to sending your CV. If you don't address the selection criteria it may be very difficult to short list you.

Guest Rachael M Bowen
I was in Adelaide when the above news was released & saw & heard it all over the media, amongst many other threats of job cuts in a variety of public sectors.

& as I am involved in nursing & healthcare & visited all the hospitals in Adelaide & spoke to several ward managers, I still have no concerns about finding work once there. So keep the faith fellow nursing members. Mandi x

Have to agree with you Mandi. The amount of adverts I receive daily from one organisation to another I am not worried at all about securing a job, as you say KTF and you'll be fine x. We know from experience that cutting jobs from front line workers is the last resort and that the media love to scare monger. Anyway we always have jet ski hire to fall back on LOL :wink: