Apprenticeships

Guest metal_oli

Guest metal_oli

Hi i will be coming over to adelaide in august and i am intrested in getting an apprenticeships in the motor industry as a mechanic i have tried in england and have had no luck, so i would like to know how easy it is to get an apprenticeships in adelaide.

Thanks

Guest Guest75

I think it is becoming more popular again to have apprenticeships.

This is why tradies are in demand here because Oz let the apprenticeship schemes slip.

Most employers can now get you onto a TAFE course (see http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/ )

My daughters boyfriend has just been given an apprenticeship from his boss in sheet metal work.He'll have to be doing a bit of night school but the boss gives him some time off.

:)

If you are young and want opportunities I'd advise looking at diesel work - either for heavy machinery (Mining boom) or marine diesel Word is that both areas have huge potential.:)

Guest lippy

Hi

My OH is a mechanic and has justed started work over here.

In his workshop their are 26year old apprentices!! - not heard of in Britain.

On this basis I would think that you should be able to get an apprenticeship reasonably easily as they are crying out for mechanics.

• 4 weeks later...
I think it is becoming more popular again to have apprenticeships.

This is why tradies are in demand here because Oz let the apprenticeship schemes slip.

Most employers can now get you onto a TAFE course (see http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/ )

My daughters boyfriend has just been given an apprenticeship from his boss in sheet metal work.He'll have to be doing a bit of night school but the boss gives him some time off.

:)

If you are young and want opportunities I'd advise looking at diesel work - either for heavy machinery (Mining boom) or marine diesel Word is that both areas have huge potential.:)

Good evening

Have just come accross this tread and ran the idea of being a mechanic passed my OH as when we arrive in June he wishes to get some sort of apprenticeship to learn a trade rather than be in an office on the other side of the world as he was here.

I am a haidresser and the way the apprenticeships for them are that they have to get a paid job earning £80 a week or more then they get signed up with the training provider used by the employer. is that the procedure my OH would need to follow or is it different? eg sign up with TAFE first then get a placement?

Sorry to waffle but still trying to get so many last bits of information before we fly and getting a little overwelmed as never been to know what kind of salon i could work at, which school for the kids ....................... but happy:wacko:

thank you for any replies

kath x

ps - he is 29

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Pay for apprentices is pretty low here. A friend of mine said last year mechanics were getting $7 an hour:shocked:. But I know last year there was a thing about older people getting a kind of bonus thing for taking on an aprenticeship. Put autralian aprenticeships in google and see what you can find that way.

sarah

Pay for apprentices is pretty low here. A friend of mine said last year mechanics were getting $7 an hour:shocked:. But I know last year there was a thing about older people getting a kind of bonus thing for taking on an aprenticeship. Put autralian aprenticeships in google and see what you can find that way.

sarah

thanks for that sarah, will google it altough add an extra $3 per hour and thats almost our minimum wage so not expecting to be rich for the starter LOL x my base rate at the salon i am at is only £30 a day! which isnt even $7 an hour before comission on a late night so I am used to living on nowt ;)

BTW - i was going to possibly pm you(didnt yet as didnt want to pm you out of the blue):cute: as after reading that there are so many hairdressing jobs available, with me not fully understanding the pay system am unsure of what i should be looking for in any offer of employment once i arrive and start job hunting myself. plus are there any places that you could reccomend (or not via pm) for me to head for to hand in my cv

thanks again

kath x