Anyone work in construction

Guest bakersdozen

Guest bakersdozen

Hi everyone

Just joined the site and was wondering what the construction work in residential and commercial build is like in SA. We are looking into SA and Victoria for skilled migration, vetassess has been passed (Building Associate 312112) and are now reading up on my IELTS

At the moment Victoria looks the better option for my line of work (Site Managment ) also the wife (chef) but after some research SA looks a great place as well .

Both places have pros and cons but what do you all think ? any info on work, living etc would be greatfull

Regards

Hi, although not out there yet we visited Adelaide a couple of months ago and would confirm the crane count is very high. Adelaide seemed to be busy with building work which will suit me hopefully as Chartered Builder working as project and contracts manager for last 17 years. Melbourne is huge and will always show more jobs available however the city simply didn't click with us being too busy and large, nice to visit but not to live. I have a valid 189 which allows me to work throughout Aus which may suit you better as construction can be a fickle business meaning you have to go where the work is.

Best of luck

S

Guest bakersdozen

Hello mate

Thanks for the info, unfortunately the 190 or the 489 I think is now the only visa I could get, but either SA or Vic looks good for us.

Adelaide looks good though , crane count is always a good indicator been counting the cranes in London again, its better than what it was.

As your in the business please let me know how your getting on in SA, it would be a great help in deciding what territory to submit our EOI to.

Good luck with the relocation

All the best

There are a lot of big projects in Adelaide at the moment, Adelaide Oval, hospital, new hotels, even our place has got a new building to move into soon - but whether that trend continues is another matter, a few locals tell me Adelaide tends to have mad moments, then goes quiet again. Not sure if there is any truth in that though, still too new myself. It's a good place to live though so best of luck.

Guest bakersdozen
There are a lot of big projects in Adelaide at the moment, Adelaide Oval, hospital, new hotels, even our place has got a new building to move into soon - but whether that trend continues is another matter, a few locals tell me Adelaide tends to have mad moments, then goes quiet again. Not sure if there is any truth in that though, still too new myself. It's a good place to live though so best of luck.

Thanks Zebedee

Hope the move aint like a magic roundabout for us , no only joking , anything new happens with the construction market please let me know , thanks again

Regards

R

Hi everyone

Just joined the site and was wondering what the construction work in residential and commercial build is like in SA. We are looking into SA and Victoria for skilled migration, vetassess has been passed (Building Associate 312112) and are now reading up on my IELTS

At the moment Victoria looks the better option for my line of work (Site Managment ) also the wife (chef) but after some research SA looks a great place as well .

Both places have pros and cons but what do you all think ? any info on work, living etc would be greatfull

Regards

Hi bakersdozen, I was a Site Manager in the UK, here in OZ we are mostly called general foremen or foremen, though SA does use the term site manager. I work for a privately owned national (not in WA yet) construction, development and consulting company, I live and am normally based in Brisbane but at present on my third stint in Adelaide, the company has just restructured here in Adelaide and are throwing a little money into it, also this is our only division which does building as well as civil works and we are starting to see an increase in the number of tenders coming in for both codes even though the tower cranes are coming down.

The company is a little quiet in their home town of Brisbane but the rest of Queensland is steady, Victoria and ACT are picking up, NSW is steady, the NT is our best performing region at present but will slow down now for the wet season. Have a look at the company web site just google BMD but they are not sponsoring at present but you never know!

Any questions please ask.

Cheers Keith

Guest bakersdozen
If you haven't already found it, the following site on construction projects in Adelaide is well worth a read (particularly forum threads) to give an indication of how buoyant/quiet building work is at any given moment:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will take a look at the web site tonight

Rob

Hi everyone

Regards

Hi bakersdozen,

Just to let you know we are also in the process of 489 for SA and my hubby too is classed as Buidling Associate in Oz, we were originally going to Perth as we have friends there and went on a reccie in August and loved it but after trying the IELTS numerous times Scott just could not get all 8's (as he is over 40 now he needed 20 points) to get the 190 PR Visa so we have now opted for 489 but as its classed as regional we went out to WA just to check the regional areas had enough work and there where good schools for the children and we found Mandurah in reagional area had eveything we needed!! But when we came to lodeg our EOI for WA we found out that 312112 was taken off WA Skills list so our agent told us to apply for SA or Melbourne but recommended SA to us and since we have started reasearching SA etc we are finding its probably better than WA for us as theres lots of work going on there etc etc!!! Our agent has also told us that 2 people who are in construction have chose SA over WA and are saying really positive things about it and will be emailing us some information through about work and that too!!

But the main things is to get yourself out to Oz asap as the changes are making if harder and harder to emigrate, on a 489 visa after 2 years you will get your PR then you can move to another state if you wish too, this is the way we are looking at it.

Good luck with everything and dont hesitate to ask any questions as someone will always answer your questions on here!!

Bal.

Guest bakersdozen
Hi bakersdozen, I was a Site Manager in the UK, here in OZ we are mostly called general foremen or foremen, though SA does use the term site manager. I work for a privately owned national (not in WA yet) construction, development and consulting company, I live and am normally based in Brisbane but at present on my third stint in Adelaide, the company has just restructured here in Adelaide and are throwing a little money into it, also this is our only division which does building as well as civil works and we are starting to see an increase in the number of tenders coming in for both codes even though the tower cranes are coming down.

The company is a little quiet in their home town of Brisbane but the rest of Queensland is steady, Victoria and ACT are picking up, NSW is steady, the NT is our best performing region at present but will slow down now for the wet season. Have a look at the company web site just google BMD but they are not sponsoring at present but you never know!

Any questions please ask.

Cheers Keith

Hello Keith

Thanks for the info , defo take a look at the company ,if you dont mind me asking but whats the wages and packages like for our line of work?.I know I'm not going to get the same money as someone whos been out there longer but a heads up would help.Also whats the working conditions like ? is it the same as the uk

As you might already know State Sponsered Visa requires you to be in that state for 2 years but after that you can go where the work is , but hopefully we can settle in one place, fingers crossed when we submit our visa the work is still looking good for what ever state we go to.

Thanks again mate

Rob

Guest bakersdozen
Hi bakersdozen,

Just to let you know we are also in the process of 489 for SA and my hubby too is classed as Buidling Associate in Oz, we were originally going to Perth as we have friends there and went on a reccie in August and loved it but after trying the IELTS numerous times Scott just could not get all 8's (as he is over 40 now he needed 20 points) to get the 190 PR Visa so we have now opted for 489 but as its classed as regional we went out to WA just to check the regional areas had enough work and there where good schools for the children and we found Mandurah in reagional area had eveything we needed!! But when we came to lodeg our EOI for WA we found out that 312112 was taken off WA Skills list so our agent told us to apply for SA or Melbourne but recommended SA to us and since we have started reasearching SA etc we are finding its probably better than WA for us as theres lots of work going on there etc etc!!! Our agent has also told us that 2 people who are in construction have chose SA over WA and are saying really positive things about it and will be emailing us some information through about work and that too!!

But the main things is to get yourself out to Oz asap as the changes are making if harder and harder to emigrate, on a 489 visa after 2 years you will get your PR then you can move to another state if you wish too, this is the way we are looking at it.

Good luck with everything and dont hesitate to ask any questions as someone will always answer your questions on here!!

Bal.

Hello Bal

Thanks for the reply,same thing happend to us with WA , thats why we are now looking at SA . B A 312112 was taken off back in July ,(gutted) but now we are looking into SA the same as yourself. I'm 41 so I need all the points from the IELTS as well , still going for the 190 and brushing up with the IELTS book and CD's ,going for it next month.

If you dont mind let me know how your OH gets on when you get over there with the work etc .

Thanks again

Rob

Hi, sounds familiar. We have in-laws in Perth and the place, but not the house prices!

Congrats on getting your visa.

Wife and I buy trashed houses and convert them, as well as being self employed Architectural Services company. Not qualified architect, so will be going for Building Associate.

Adelaide seems so much more family orientated, easier to get about and you get far more house for your money. Probably going to visit in February for a look, will keep reading posts.