First interview tommorrow!

guspjmh

I've got an interview for a job starting in January on skype at 9pm uk time tomorrow. My first Aussie interview, so a little nervous!

Not sure if the job will be exactly what I want, but it certainly won't do any harm interviewing - at the very least I can do with the practice...

Oh well, he emailed to say he cannot make today so will get in contact next week - not sure if it's related to me emailing asking for more details on the company and products. If it is related to that then it's probably not the company for me anyway.

I've got some other irons in the fire so what will be, will be.

Thanks guys. One of them is the rearranged one from before, but both are with agencies rather than for specific roles at this point. It's worth doing them I guess, although the lady I met up with on my reccie is working on a few things for me, and has generally been the most helpful, so would probably be my first choice to land employment through. Beggars can't be choosers though....

Hi Gus, I had 2 skype interviews for the job I start in the new year - the first was a disaster! my webcam froze on a picture on the wall behind me (they thought they were interviewing a flower!) but despite that I got a second interview and then the job offer! All I can say is be yourself, be confident in your own abilities and mostly....enjoy the experience and give it your best shot.

Hi all! Interview 1 went well, been put forward to next stage, so that's good! Tony - my interview was just the same, skype played up so I had to call using calling card, no video at all! Was on phone for best part of an hour, but seemed to be ok.

Got another one tomorrow - hopefully skype will behave better....

Well both interviews went well and I got an email from a woman in HR for one of the big pharma companies that I had speculatively emailed offering me an interview for a position!

I have my hat in the ring for about half a dozen jobs starting in January, so fingers crossed I manage to get one of them - would really allow us to enjoy the move and concentrate on other stuff rather than worrying about jobseeking.

Fingers crossed...

Hi Gus,

Brilliant news. really good to know there is pharma stuff out there. As i mentioned to you in my PM, we are at the very early stage, but i will definitely take your advise re recruitment consultant when we have at least passed the Vetassess stage (well, the OH has!!), then at least we know we are on our way.

Will be following your progress with interest and really hope the other interviews go well.

good luck!

Hi Gus

Reading this thread brought me right back to before we moved over, all the Skype interviews etc. Not wanting at all to bring you down but we found my husband had loads of interest and interviews, then everything went dead til we landed. Then the agents/companies wanted to meet him in person ( I think just to make sure he was the same person they were skyping!) And he had an offer week 2 if I remember correctly. So don't worry if it all quietens down, they will probably wait to meet you in person before making an offer. Of course I could be 100% wrong and you'll get an offer before moving - which would be lovely.

Best of luck with it all

Sinead

Thanks Sinead. An offer in week 2 would suit me nicely - a few weeks to settle before I start! I'm not terribly concerned, as the market for my industry seems to be much healthier than it is here in the UK, but just don't like the thought of living off savings indefinitely!

Is your husband in the same kind of industry as me (medical/pharma)?

He's in IT. Think you'll be doing much better in your field, IT not exactly being a core industry in SA! However he's still working in the same job 18 months later so it's worked out ok so far!

I know what you mean about time to settle in - if you knew for sure you'd have a job within 6 weeks or whatever you could relax and be a tourist for the 6 weeks! But the not knowing is what makes it so stressful. I think you'll be absolutely fine, you seem to have it covered.

Just had an interview with a company I really want to work for, who are also here in the UK and it went well, but salary was much lower than I expected (and have been quoted in other ongoing applications) - around $68k starting. It's strange as this company are known to be big payers in the UK!

Is this enough to live off and support a family (2 kids) as my wife won't be working initially? I would also get a car included, but not sure what tax implications of this are.

While I really like this company and would like to build a career with them, I just don't want to end up in a position where I had to jump ship after 12 months to get a better salary after gaining local experience, I'd rather stick with a company long term, but not sure if it is realistic on this wage?

Edited by guspjmh