To bring or not to bring power tools and tools

Caz and Ian

Only need to change the plug, we are 240V at 50htz same as uk. if your tools are trusty and reliable and you have room in the container then bring them, spares may be a problem but these days it can be cheaper to buy new rather than repair. Google up the items to get a cost comparison then you can make an informed decision.

Edited by Keith & Linda
clarified point

Regardless of whether it's easier to buy new or to clean and pack there's one point that's been missed here - they are your own tools and you use them successfully (presumably) and trust them to do exactly what you want, how you want. If you buy new then you'll have to start that trust process again.

Tools ain't just tools. You get good 'uns and bad 'uns.

Guest sithewindows

Bring 110v if you have transformers. Bring as much as you can, everything apart from petrol seems more expensive to me. I just wished I had left some of the Wife's clothes and shoes and brought more tools.

don't bring any 110v its not used here. unless you are planning on setting up a workshop for yourself.

Bring 110v if you have transformers. Bring as much as you can, everything apart from petrol seems more expensive to me. I just wished I had left some of the Wife's clothes and shoes and brought more tools.

I know quite a few tradies who have brought 110v stuff over and it is just lying in there garage never used.I have been here 16 years and never seen anyone on any sites using 110v stuff sell them over there if you have any and buy some 240v .There is no market over here for them no one will buy them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jonneeb

Definitely bring them, just make sure they are all spotlessly clean, no grease, dirt, dust etc. Cleaned allmy tools with a high temperature steam cleaner (you see them advertised on tv for cleaning tiling grout etc) and Sterilised all my stuff with Jeyes fluid, the smell soon goes!

Power tools are expensive here and if you don't need them when you're here, sell them here.

Cheers & good luck