Former Recruitment Agent spills the beans!!!

Jessica Berry

This article makes interesting reading, especially as it mentions dealing with workers from overseas that 'wouldn't know much about the market'!

Personally, having worked through many recruitment agencies in casual roles, being in the role of the employer liaising with agencies for staff and having friends that worked as recruitment consultants it all rings true with me!

http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/former-recruitment-agent-spills-details-on-what-really-goes-on-in-the-industry/story-e6frfm9r-1226759720120

I've often thought I've been applying for a job that doesn't exist. I also hate it when recruitment agents don't bother to reply or just send a generic rejection email. I spend about 2 hours carefully writing a cover letter and tailoring my CV for each job role. Then it just gets deleted in a matter of seconds!

Guest ColinOz
I was told by someone who worked at a well known office Adelaide recruitment agency that they automatically trashed anyone's application/CV if they didn't have an English sounding name regardless of the applicant's qualifications and experience.

And here I am hoping to get a job with my Spanish sounding name... :swoon:

Very interesting reading. Some of it rings true in my limited experience, one recruitment agency tried to get me to sign up exclusively when I first arrived. If I had gone with them, I wouldn't have the job I have now and for all I know, I could still be looking. Quite a few of the recruiters I have dealt with have been really helpful - though it really makes you wonder after reading this. I do get phone calls from some of them, looking for info.

On the salary side of things, its really tricky knowing what you can ask for when you first arrive. I had a vague idea looking at other jobs roles online but you are at their mercy for your first job role (plus there is the desperation factor in getting Aussie dollars flowing in). Some people might be really clued up and know, but I suspect many are like me - and just hoping for the best.

There are so many agencies out there like this in the UK & Australia. I've had experience with around 10 agencies in Adelaide, and of those only a handful have given a decent impression that they are genuinely looking to do their best for both the client and potential employee (me).

One in particular has been fantastic, even taking the time out to meet with me when I was on my reccie just to give information on the market, and she's kept in touch ever since. It's no surprise that she seems to be the leading recruiter in my field in the Adelaide area. Karma works.

I was told by someone who worked at a well known office Adelaide recruitment agency that they automatically trashed anyone's application/CV if they didn't have an English sounding name regardless of the applicant's qualifications and experience.

I must admit I was beginning to suspect this..... having an Italian surname myself, I am sure people make value judgements on that alone. I did get one interview though, where the supervisor was herself of Italian origin and I think she was quite disappointed when I turned out to be English (shows she didn't read my resume properly). Sad to say but the next job I apply for I am tempted to revert to my 'English' maiden name.

I have seen it work both ways, as an advantage and a disadvantage. In my opinion, there are certain companies in Adelaide where being of Italian, Greek, Spanish heritage (for example and other nationalities) will help you get a job with them. Whether people choose to use that totheir advantage is up to them.

Some jobs I have secured, at the interview stage it has definitely been an advantage being a pom and for other jobs it has made no difference.

In my experience, your personality and the ability to ‘fit into the culture’ of an organisation has a big influence in the job application process. It is the same when dealing with recruitment agencies or contacts who may be able to assist you, people need to try and stand out (in a good way!) and build relationships without becoming a pain in the bum, it is a careful balancing act.

Edited by Jessica Berry

I have seen it work both ways, as an advantage and a disadvantage. In my opinion, there are certain companies in Adelaide where being of Italian, Greek, Spanish heritage (for example and other nationalities) will help you get a job with them. Whether people choose to use that totheir advantage is up to them.

Some jobs I have secured, at the interview stage it has definitely been an advantage being a pom and for other jobs it has made no difference.

In my experience, your personality and the ability to ‘fit into the culture’ of an organisation has a big influence in the job application process. It is the same when dealing with recruitment agencies or contacts who may be able to assist you, people need to try andstand out (in a good way!) and build relationships without becoming a pain inthe bum, it is a careful balancing act.

My problem is that I have an Italian name but zero Italian heritage!! The most exotic I can find in my family tree is Welsh !!

On the salary side of things, its really tricky knowing what you can ask for when you first arrive. I had a vague idea looking at other jobs roles online but you are at their mercy for your first job role (plus there is the desperation factor in getting Aussie dollars flowing in). Some people might be really clued up and know, but I suspect many are like me - and just hoping for the best.

Salary, now there is a minefield!!!

To give an example and without going into too much detail on a public forum, I currently work through a recruitment agency as does a friend of mine. We both work in the same organisation, on the same level job, but in different areas. I earn $8 an hour more than my friend. My friend earns $3 an hour more than the other temps in their team doing the same job. I can assure people that both our rates are legally correct. It comes down to negotiations between the client, the temp, what legislation dictates, the agency you go through, supply and demand for your skills, the competition from other temps, if the recruiter likes you, if the client likes you, budget, etc etc etc!

When I have worked on recruitment projects, I have seen jobs with a range of $20k. So the job seeker will say I am looking for $80k, but the employer is willing to go to $100k, but of course they are not going to tell you that. That is a massive difference and then has a knock on effect of how much super you are getting and then say you get a 3% cost of living rise, obviously the calculation on $100k is much better than on $80k.

Having said that, people need to understand not only what the job might be paying but the competition in their sector. So for example mining. Plenty of out of work people in mining looking for work. I know of someone that was made redundant and has just took nearly a $60k pay drop to get another job.

Supply and demand can dictate heavily what people might earn in the current economic climate in SA.

Edited by Jessica Berry

While on the subject of recruitment consultants and salaries...someone had attended a migration expo in the UK and been advised by a recruitment consultant that they would be earning $x amount a year and have no problems finding work. It is an area that I am very familiar with and used to work in and also have friends that work in similar roles and we earned/earn approximately half what the recruitment consultant had advised and the competition for the jobs is high.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would update on this thread in case there are any newbies that perhaps haven't dealt with recruitment agencies before.....

I noticed recently on seek that 12 recruitment agencies are advertising and fighting over the same position. I usually spot up to 6 competing for candidates for the same roles, but 12 is the most I have seen to date! Of course to the untrained eye it would appear when you look on seek that there are far more jobs available than there actually are.

My friend also rang up a recruitment agency about a job which we reckoned was just a fishing exercise (a job that they don't actually have the go ahead to recruit for, but it might happen so they are just sourcing candidates) and sure enough that was the case. The advert gives the impression that they are looking to fill lots of jobs but there is actually only one job and that is if it ever happens.

Phantom jobs or fishing exercises seem quite the norm here.This has happened quite recently in the motor trade.It is wholly unfair in my view and is giving people the wrong impression of jobs available. The adelaide job market is certainly different too many i have come across.Hubby once applied for job aussie appointed half the experience at least, hubby subsequently told we dont interview unless people apply more than twice,then we know they are serious.How would anyone know that and usually you are told dont bother applying again.Think being telepathic here would help.

Sue

What about the ads looking for recruiters? do they need more people to fill vacancies that don't exist?

Good point. I was discussing this with a friend of mine recently who used to work as a recruitment consultant. There is often a high staff turnover within recruitment agencies, so some will be genuine vacancies, but then this could be because the consultants are given unrealistic targets to meet in the current enomonic climate. Over the Nov/Dec/Jan slow recruiting period on seek under the HR/Recruitment section it was full of adverts for recruitment consultants and in my opinion I find it hard to see how all these consultants were needed in the current job market. I suspect the adverts were used as an advertising/marketing tool to get their company logo onto seek.

Guest ColinOz
Phantom jobs or fishing exercises seem quite the norm here.This has happened quite recently in the motor trade.It is wholly unfair in my view and is giving people the wrong impression of jobs available. The adelaide job market is certainly different too many i have come across.Hubby once applied for job aussie appointed half the experience at least, hubby subsequently told we dont interview unless people apply more than twice,then we know they are serious.How would anyone know that and usually you are told dont bother applying again.Think being telepathic here would help.

Sue

Here everyone gives you different information, some tell you that if you are too forward, you may come up as being too pushy and that is not the "Australian Way" of doing things, others would tell you that you need to impose yourself, call everyday, practically harass the recruiter or you will be taken as not too keen to work

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Toodolou

so that's why i think its important to research jobs myself and talk with others like on this forum who have been working in their job roles a few years and can give first hand experience of expected salary .....

secondly , what goes around will come around , sometime , karma and all that