Casual work

Bubbl

Depends where your going really, coming up to the summer, xmas I would imagine theres quite a few but you'd have to look around when you get here or try and contact different companies online, thats the only advice I can give xx good luck

Hi all, we are hoping to get teaching work once settled in Adelaide but I'm concerned it might be a struggle - are there casual jobs around - shop, pub, office temp etc? Just don't want to end up on the streets with a 3 year old!!

We are constantly struggling for factory workers, the work is quite hard but the pay is quite good for factory work, over $20 per hour, and afternoon shift get's 15% more, night shift 30%. No experience necessary, just need to pass a medical, and we are based in Lonsdale.

If you or anyone is interested then visit Ranstad on South Road, morphett vale.

We are constantly struggling for factory workers, the work is quite hard but the pay is quite good for factory work, over $20 per hour, and afternoon shift get's 15% more, night shift 30%. No experience necessary, just need to pass a medical, and we are based in Lonsdale.

Is that casual rates or contract with holidays etc?

Hi all, we are hoping to get teaching work once settled in Adelaide but I'm concerned it might be a struggle - are there casual jobs around - shop, pub, office temp etc? Just don't want to end up on the streets with a 3 year old!!

I would suggest ensuring that you bring enough money to support yourself and your family for at least 3 months, as a safety net. When you first move over all you seem to do is pay out and if there is nothing coming in for a couple of months it can be hard. For example if you are renting you will need to make sure you have money for the bond (when we rented I think it was a bond of 6 weeks rent plus an additional 2 weeks rent up front).

To serve alcohol in a pub you will need to gain the Responsible Service of Alcohol unit which you need to undertake a short paid course to gain. If you want to work as an office temp through an agency you will need to register with them and usually undertake testing in Word, Excel, data entry. There are a lot of people looking for admin/office work so if you have work experience in this area it will be a bonus. In shop work and other casual work the employer may choose to employ someone under the age of 21 as they can pay junior award wages.

With casual work it can be a case of being in the right place at the right time and getting in there first. Shops often just put a sign up in their shop window, so worth having a walk around with your resume.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Thanks for the info Jessica Berry and Aussie Rob! I had no idea about the serving alcohol course so that is good to know! Lots of great info.

Aussie rob this post has really cheered me up - we are willing to do absolutely anything so knowing there may be some work is great news. What sort of factory work is it? We are arriving in February and so I will email the agency before we arrive!

Thanks again!

If it is going through a recruitment agency (Randstad) usually it would be a casual rate, unless they have a different arrangement negotiated with the company.

Hi Jessica Berry

Thank you for your useful info. you think how much will be required for at least 3-month living in a city like Adelaide? and in your idea when is the best time for moving? xmas, summer or what?

TNX-hamzeh

Thanks for the info Jessica Berry and Aussie Rob! I had no idea about the serving alcohol course so that is good to know! Lots of great info.

Aussie rob this post has really cheered me up - we are willing to do absolutely anything so knowing there may be some work is great news. What sort of factory work is it? We are arriving in February and so I will email the agency before we arrive!

Thanks again!

Hi Bubbl, Jessica is correct it is casual, like many companies we don't take on many permanent workers anymore, but it's there to be used then as a stop gap fill in job.

The work is assembly / packing work predominantly, it is repetitive, but if you are anything like me you'll do what you can to get the first few pay checks to come in, I was going to work at Optus call centre when i first arrived as a stop fill job.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the heads up. I've been here since august and not been able to get a job so I'll give this a try.

Cheers,

Jason.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the heads up. I've been here since august and not been able to get a job so I'll give this a try.

Cheers,

Jason.

Hi Jason, I'm no expert but much has been said on other threads on this site that Adelaide employers don't like to employ people who live too far away, and I notice you are in Goolwa. In the UK it isn't an issue but here it is. I had a temp job once at a place in Lonsdale which at the time was recruiting for a couple of positions, and I had to help the boss with the paperwork side of things. Anybody who lived too far away (north of a particular road) was not even considered for the jobs, their applications were immediately rejected without the boss even reading their resumes. If you are applying for jobs outside of the Goolwa area (ie in the city) then this could well be the reason you are struggling to get work.

Hi Jessica Berry

Thank you for your useful info. you think how much will be required for at least 3-month living in a city like Adelaide? and in your idea when is the best time for moving? xmas, summer or what?

TNX-hamzeh

Everyone will spend different amounts, so it is hard to say. You will obviously need money to cover the basics such as rent, food, transport costs, mobiles (so employers can contact you).

As I have mentioned Nov/Dec/Jan are generally the slowest months to find work, but there are always exceptions and it can depend on the work you do. I started a contract at the end of Nov, but then I would always make sure it is was finishing around this time I had enough money to cover me for 2-3 months over the Christmas/summer holiday period.

The financial year in Australia runs July - June, so some companies wait until after July when they have new budgets to hire, but then on the flipside if they have money to spend they might get people in May/June to 'spend' their budget.

There are no hard and fast rules, you could turn up tomorrow, be in the right place at the right time with the right skill set and get work straight away. Statistically it is taking people on average 3 months to find work, so use this as a guide (I have posted an article on this a few months ago under the jobs and careers section).

Edited by Jessica Berry