Skype Call with a recruitment consultant - What to expect?

path2aus

Hello All,

I have been aggressively applying for IT jobs in Adelaide. It has been really tough. Not that easy to get through. I have gotten a Skype meeting setup with a recruitment consultant from a big IT recruitment agency in SA. I am not sure what to expect. I have spoken with lots of them in the US but I am really nervous and confused as to what to expect on this call. If someone has done this already, can you please shed some light on the same? It will be really helpful.

Thanks..

ive found recruitment agencies totally useless even in person but you can get lucky, my husband got a job through one but only cause he kept pushing himself and hassling them thats what you have to do they have so many on their books, just use the interview as experience I say but good luck x

I haven't gone through any Skype interviews personally, but I do a lot of agency work and have dealt with many recruitment consultants/agencies and also have a HR/recruitment background. The fact you have a Skype interview lined up is a good start. They may be on a bit of a fact finding mission with you, unless you have specific skills that they are struggling to recruit to or are talking to you about a specific position. Be friendly and try to build/establish a rapport. The recruiter is more likely to remember you and go that extra step if they like you. Have your CV in front of you on the table or somewhere close in case you need to refer to it to jog your memory. Try not to be nervous and think of it more as just having a chat, the Aussies are usually a pretty friendly bunch. Remember the agencies see hundreds of people a week, so keep your answers concise, don't waffle on. Always thank the recruiter for taking the time to speak to you.

ive found recruitment agencies totally useless even in person but you can get lucky, my husband got a job through one but only cause he kept pushing himself and hassling them thats what you have to do they have so many on their books, just use the interview as experience I say but good luck x

Thanks very much. That was really helpful. I am not expecting much from them but just hoping that something positive comes out of it.

I haven't gone through any Skype interviews personally, but I do a lot of agency work and have dealt with many recruitment consultants/agencies and also have a HR/recruitment background. The fact you have a Skype interview lined up is a good start. They may be on a bit of a fact finding mission with you, unless you have specific skills that they are struggling to recruit to or are talking to you about a specific position. Be friendly and try to build/establish a rapport. The recruiter is more likely to remember you and go that extra step if they like you. Have your CV in front of you on the table or somewhere close in case you need to refer to it to jog your memory. Try not to be nervous and think of it more as just having a chat, the Aussies are usually a pretty friendly bunch. Remember the agencies see hundreds of people a week, so keep your answers concise, don't waffle on. Always thank the recruiter for taking the time to speak to you.

Thanks Jessica....That was helpful.