Life as a mechanic

Guest Ollie2011

Guest Ollie2011

Hi PIA,

Briefly where we're at:

We are hoping to move out to SA in 2015, taking the whole emigration process slowly as we can't sell our house until next dec or we'll have to pay early redemption fee. We are using ian harrop agent and they have been great! I am a mechanic and have had my skills approved, just need to do the practical assessment now.

Hoping to see if anyone can offer any advice to a mechanic coming out to adelaide. If anyone has emigrated as a mechanic, what has your experience been like? Easy to find a job? Differences in work practice? I will be supporting my little family of 4 initially ( 2 boys who will be 3 and almost 2) and then my wife is hoping to get some private tuition work and this will hopefully fit around the boys. Will have some savings from the sale of our house to help us set up. Am hoping we will get by on my wage?! My wife is quite frugal when it comes to shopping, even now,a will do main shop at the supermarket and then buy meat, fruit and veg from the local market. We don't live a particularly expensive lifestyle, don't go out very much drinking, restaurants etc as we have the boys, tend to do outdoor stuff during the day that's free anyway at the mo so prob won't spend too much on entertainment once we arrive. However have read so many threads saying how ridiculously expensive it is and how people feel that they have made a massive mistake emigrating that it gets me really panicked sometimes! , Any advice and opinion on emigrating with a young family, especially working as a mechanic would be appreciated, positive and negative ( obviously would prefer the positives!:wink:)

also, is it really that cold in the winter? Or is it that people get used to such warm weather that they forget what being cold is? Visited adelaide in my gap year years ago for a week in July time and don't remember being really cold, have got pics of me in the evening outside wearing a hoodie but no hat or coat!

Thanks for reading,

Oliver :smile:

I can't advise on the mechanic side of things but I can advise on some of the other stuff. We're a family of 5 who arrived in Adelaide at the start of June this year, living in Mawson Lakes in a 4 bed unit. We love the house but the garden is almost non existent. We had wanted a rental in the western suburbs but found it to be very expensive, looked around Hallett Cove but the hill it's built on put us off (crazy steep). Mawson Lakes won in the end due to it being reasonably priced compared to some other suburbs plus it's only 20 mins into the city by train. The kids have taken a while to settle at Mawson Lakes primary school but recently have gained new friends and are loving it. Shopping here is very expensive if you shop in woolies etc but lots of people here shop in the markets where we find prices to be comparable (or cheaper) to the UK. The Adelaide central market is excellent for meat, cheese, veg etc.

We found the weather in winter to be good enough not to wear a jacket most days, we even managed a few days at the beach. Seen lots of people wrapped up with gloves and scarves on days where we weren't wearing jackets. In fact we had a few dirty looks from people when they seen our kids didn't have jackets on, but we had just left Scotland and didn't feel it cold. I think we were just acclimatizing and maybe we'll find it colder next year. What really surprised me was how cold it is at night inside the house, I'm talking baltic lol. From literally the first day of spring (start of September) it's been hot with only a few cooler days. I can't remember the last time I wore a jacket for the cold, although I have wore one for the rain. Been caught a few times in torrential rain!

Here's the good part; Adelaide is an absolutely amazing place with so much to do. We've been down to Victor Harbour to see whales, we've spotted dolphins at glenelg and at port Adelaide, we've been into the hills and seen koalas, took part in a massive zombie walk through the city (sounds weird but it was really excellent), seen some stunning beaches, some great parks for picnics, the list goes on.

My wife has been offered a job in Melbourne so we're on the move early in the new year, but it wasn't an easy decision as we've loved Adelaide. I've read people talking it down, and I've spoken with people here who talk it down too, but honestly people don't know when they've got it good. You can drive an hour in any direction and get amazing beaches, amazing countryside, amazing wildlife and things to do.

Couple of things that niggle me; broadband in Mawson Lakes is atrocious! I felt safer driving in Istanbul than I do here, the people are really nice but put them behind a wheel...

Pick your suburb wisely as the commute can be bad, especially if you're coming from the southern suburbs ( the train service is finally back up and running so things are improving).

Good luck with the plans ?

Edited by RoyR

It's what u make it we love it as long as you r working you'll be fine but have no idea how uyou will get on over here as a machanic, it never gets cold enough to wear a coat but it can get chilly. It's very expensive here for sure but again if you can earn you will be fine it's best not to compare what you were paying before as there can be a huge difference . We've come back a 2nd time having gone back for the kids and family but realised adelaide had so much more to offer them it's the sacrifice we were prepared to make as we loved it so much b4 the education over here is very different too, again we know it's what's best for our kids future and us and that's all that matters

Guest Ollie2011

Just glad it doesn't seem to get as cold as the U.K!! Do many houses offer heating systems? Or is it a bit like accomodation in the Mediterranean? Just a case of wrapping up at night?

Just glad it doesn't seem to get as cold as the U.K!! Do many houses offer heating systems? Or is it a bit like accomodation in the Mediterranean? Just a case of wrapping up at night?

I'm not sure how popular it is to have heating systems, our house has 5 air con units that can be used to heat the house but honestly unless you're directly in front of the air flow you don't really feel the heat. I've been told it's common for people to use portable plug in heaters in winter, and that's exactly what we'll be doing next year lol. For going to bed I've had to wrap up more than I ever did in Scotland but we just see it as part of the Ozzie experience. Since September we've kept our bedroom curtains closed as we've got quite a big window and the room was heating up like a greenhouse! Our kids have acclimatised quickly, on nice 22 degree days they class that as being cold lol

Edited by RoyR

We came out this year, my other half is a mechanic but we had organised a job a few month before we arrived just to be on the safe side as we didn't have much savings enough to buy cars and cover a few weeks, there does seem to be quite a lot of jobs advertised for car mechanics and you are probably looking around the $20 an hour mark. Have you thought about how you plan to ship your tools?

we can live off his wage it doesn't give much to play with at the end of a fortnight (I have casual work so that does give extra but it's just frustrating as you never know what hours you will get), but that's rent, food,broadband, 2x car running costs, utilities, home insurance, mobiles x2, landline and medical. We don't have any children so I don't know about how much that would add on a fortnight for activities etc. we don't go out much as need to be careful of money but also there is just so many fantastic things to do for free events, walks etc. not sure you can ever grown tired of just going for a walk at the beach and a paddle in the sea that's all the luxury I need:smile: Or a BBQ in the backyard without the rain.

You will notice that things seem expensive, the food shop always makes me hold my breath! But it's a balance whilst something's are more expensive there are others that totally surprise you with how much cheaper they are.

We came over in autumn to give ourselves time to adjust, and I don't think it got colder than 6c at 7am, the houses do feel abit cold but I think you get so used to being careful with electric in the uk, you work the same here and don't put the heating on unless you have to, and just add another layer if you get cold, and with the heat we are the same if we know the heat is going to be well over 30c keep the curtains closed to reduce the temp in the house over the day, and then open the windows in the evenings.

If you have any questions about the mechanics stuff PM me and I will get my OH to reply :cool:

Guest Guest75

I agree with virtually all said above.

It does seem more expensive to live here now - GONE are those heady days when you made a lot of money with the move.

Yep ,it gets quite cold here in winter ,it's a different "feel" to it.

If building or renovating - put a gas fire in. Expensive to buy here but running costs are cheap as chips and it will pay itself back.

Instal fans - great for cooling and hardly cost anything to run if you have the new DC models.

Install solar if you can manage it - a decent system will mean you can switch on the airconditioning without worrying about the power bills.

Obviously the above is for once you buy a place.

But this gives you an idea what to look for in rentals for your first 6/12 months here.

It can be an immense struggle at times, give it a while.

Say 2 years before you even start to feel settled.

You can be your own worst enemy and talk yourself out of Australia - don't!

It's a bit of a journey with a great goal if it works out - but it needs work and determination.

Guest Ollie2011

Thanks huggesy,

gong to get quotes nearer the time to ship tools, still undecided if we are going to bother shipping our house stuff as well. Glad to hear you manage to make ends meet on a mechanics wage. Did your OH just send his cv out to different garages and then

Have an interview over Skype for his job? Think I'm going to email all the ford garages before I go and some others and just see what they say.

thanks for offering to answer any questions about mechanic stuff, will pm you if I think of anything I need advice on, appreciate it!

Guest Ollie2011

Tyke, that's exactly what we've told ourselves, 2 years before we would consider returning to uk if it's not working, hopefully won't have to have that convo. Thanks for advice on heating in houses, more for the OH benefit as she feels the cold easily!

I can't advise on the mechanic side of things but I can advise on some of the other stuff. We're a family of 5 who arrived in Adelaide at the start of June this year, living in Mawson Lakes in a 4 bed unit. We love the house but the garden is almost non existent. We had wanted a rental in the western suburbs but found it to be very expensive, looked around Hallett Cove but the hill it's built on put us off (crazy steep). Mawson Lakes won in the end due to it being reasonably priced compared to some other suburbs plus it's only 20 mins into the city by train. The kids have taken a while to settle at Mawson Lakes primary school but recently have gained new friends and are loving it. Shopping here is very expensive if you shop in woolies etc but lots of people here shop in the markets where we find prices to be comparable (or cheaper) to the UK. The Adelaide central market is excellent for meat, cheese, veg etc.

We found the weather in winter to be good enough not to wear a jacket most days, we even managed a few days at the beach. Seen lots of people wrapped up with gloves and scarves on days where we weren't wearing jackets. In fact we had a few dirty looks from people when they seen our kids didn't have jackets on, but we had just left Scotland and didn't feel it cold. I think we were just acclimatizing and maybe we'll find it colder next year. What really surprised me was how cold it is at night inside the house, I'm talking baltic lol. From literally the first day of spring (start of September) it's been hot with only a few cooler days. I can't remember the last time I wore a jacket for the cold, although I have wore one for the rain. Been caught a few times in torrential rain!

Here's the good part; Adelaide is an absolutely amazing place with so much to do. We've been down to Victor Harbour to see whales, we've spotted dolphins at glenelg and at port Adelaide, we've been into the hills and seen koalas, took part in a massive zombie walk through the city (sounds weird but it was really excellent), seen some stunning beaches, some great parks for picnics, the list goes on.

My wife has been offered a job in Melbourne so we're on the move early in the new year, but it wasn't an easy decision as we've loved Adelaide. I've read people talking it down, and I've spoken with people here who talk it down too, but honestly people don't know when they've got it good. You can drive an hour in any direction and get amazing beaches, amazing countryside, amazing wildlife and things to do.

Couple of things that niggle me; broadband in Mawson Lakes is atrocious! I felt safer driving in Istanbul than I do here, the people are really nice but put them behind a wheel...

Pick your suburb wisely as the commute can be bad, especially if you're coming from the southern suburbs ( the train service is finally back up and running so things are improving).

Good luck with the plans 

This is an excellent post,very informative,balanced and true.Well said.

I agree with virtually all said above.

It does seem more expensive to live here now - GONE are those heady days when you made a lot of money with the move.

Yep ,it gets quite cold here in winter ,it's a different "feel" to it.

If building or renovating - put a gas fire in. Expensive to buy here but running costs are cheap as chips and it will pay itself back.

Instal fans - great for cooling and hardly cost anything to run if you have the new DC models.

Install solar if you can manage it - a decent system will mean you can switch on the airconditioning without worrying about the power bills.

Obviously the above is for once you buy a place.

But this gives you an idea what to look for in rentals for your first 6/12 months here.

It can be an immense struggle at times, give it a while.

Say 2 years before you even start to feel settled.

You can be your own worst enemy and talk yourself out of Australia - don't!

It's a bit of a journey with a great goal if it works out - but it needs work and determination.

Great advice Russell,again very informative,thanks.

Tyke, that's exactly what we've told ourselves, 2 years before we would consider returning to uk if it's not working, hopefully won't have to have that convo. Thanks for advice on heating in houses, more for the OH benefit as she feels the cold easily!

You'll definitely have that conversation, possibly even before you leave the UK!

As far as we were concerned we were giving ourselves the time it took to gain Citizenship by which time all three of our children would be settled into secondary school so we'd be unlikely to move them then and by the time the third had left education we'd have been here so long that it would be pointless to move back.... unless of course we really couldn't stand it and then we always thought it would be better to return sooner rather than later. We've now been here almost 18 months and bought our own house, so we're happy enough.

I'd second the things both RoyR and Tyke said in their posts and just add that for us Adelaide is a gentle place to live - it didn't blow us away and we certainly aren't of the "loving it" camp but then we weren't particularly unhappy with where we lived in the UK we were just after an adventure and we've found it. There is plenty to do here in SA (which doesn't have to cost a fortune) and Adelaide is definitely a city so there is always lots going on, again lots of it free to do but it's also definitely not Melbourne, Sydney or the Gold Coast!

I can't help with any info on the mechanic side but as a move for a family, if you want to there's no reason not to.

One thing I would add is definately bring your stuff. If you are paying for shipping tools it wont cost too much more to bring everything else, and if you're a Snap On fan, buy everything you want before you come as its double the price here.

You wont have a problem getting a job as a mechanic, I had 2 skype interviews a month before we came. Both jobs were still available when we got here and I got offered them both after a face to face so took my pick. I have now moved on after gaining some experience of the Aussie car market for better conditions and pay without any trouble.

Good luck!

We are also emigrating 2015. Mechanic and teacher, hopefully will make ends meet having looked at wages and rent and food prices.

spend the days down the beach and doing things that don't cost much is the what we're planning on. Also have 2 young boys, baby and very active 2 year old!

Good luck with everything!

Thanks huggesy,

gong to get quotes nearer the time to ship tools, still undecided if we are going to bother shipping our house stuff as well. Glad to hear you manage to make ends meet on a mechanics wage. Did your OH just send his cv out to different garages and then

Have an interview over Skype for his job? Think I'm going to email all the ford garages before I go and some others and just see what they say.

thanks for offering to answer any questions about mechanic stuff, will pm you if I think of anything I need advice on, appreciate it!

We sent his cv out a couple of months before we flew to a recruitment agent, within the week he was asked to have a skype interview and that was that, the boss held the position open until we landed,checked contracts and 3 months probation and that was 8 months ago.

Hes on an average wage, he probably could get abit more with a dealership but it wouldn't be that much more a dollar or two, and to be honest there is also perks with a smaller garage plus he is always off every weekend which is very much a novelty after 8 months:jiggy:And he's so local to work he can cycle! (Not that he has yet!!! We haven't organised bikes)

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Automobile_Mechanic/Salary

Knowing how many my OH has this is going to sound like a stupid question, have you got a lot of tools? We brought two plastic tool boxes as excess baggage using points and shipped the other god knows how many boxes, in with the house stuff he was pulling his hair out by the time they arrived as he hates having to borrow tools but having the basics helped him out, one thing he did say is snap on tools etc good quality are more expensive here.

• 6 months later...

@huggsey - just out of interest, which recruitment agencies did you send his CV too?

We were talking about doing this a couple of weeks ago when we are ready to move out next year, in the hope he could maybe secure a job before heading over, although we are under no illusions and realise there's a high chance that wouldn't be the case, but it could cerainly help!

Hi Oliver,been out here in Adelaide since feb 2004 with wife and 3 kids not a bad place to live ,my kids are now 14/20/23.Summers great,winters uk style.If you love the outdoors and not the pubs its good.City/Glenelg best night spots.We`ve been in southern suburbs ,hallett cove for 10 years ,hilly but affordable.Son lives at aldinga loves it .If you`re a good worker you`ll be fine,cars always breaking down no MOT`s.good luck:smile:

Guest Ollie2011
Hi Oliver,been out here in Adelaide since feb 2004 with wife and 3 kids not a bad place to live ,my kids are now 14/20/23.Summers great,winters uk style.If you love the outdoors and not the pubs its good.City/Glenelg best night spots.We`ve been in southern suburbs ,hallett cove for 10 years ,hilly but affordable.Son lives at aldinga loves it .If you`re a good worker you`ll be fine,cars always breaking down no MOT`s.good luck:smile:

Thanks for that pommybob0, cars breaking are my bread and butter! Yes hoping it all works out and that my salary just about covers life's expenses! Used to the hard grafting over here as it's bonus based at mine so hoping that mindset helps in oz,

cheers, ollie