To change Career or not? Veterinary nursing

Hi,

I am currently working in a montessori pre-school, as a diploma qualified teacher, but would love to pursue my passion for animals and work in the veterinanry nursing field, the only problem is that due to working full time i can only study out of hours and weekends, most courses are full time or need you to be working in a veterinary clinic in order to study. I did however find a course on the open uni website where i could study a cert 4 in veterinanry nursing whilst volunteering in a surgery, it all sounds great but im not sure whether the industry see this route as credible as is doesnt seem to be registered as a training organisation. I then heard from the Veterinanry nursing council Australia that you dont necessarily need to be qualified to work as a veterinary nurse and that some clinics would take you on unqualified, i am now very confused and thought about just getting some general experience by volunteering, although i need some insurance. Is anyone able to give me advice on whether they have studied this course via the open uni, or whether they are nationally recognised? and what insurance i may need to volunteer?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Leanne x x

Unfortunately I'm am unable to advise you on much that your have asked, I am looking into the same course but might be worth talking to them to see if you are covered under the course for insurance in the workplace and the work place must fill specific criteria.I know it is roughly $100 a week to do the course but as you said most people aren't able to give up work full time to study doing the full time cert 4 at gillies and you need to get 15 hrs paid work in a clinic before you can do day release at gillies plains.

You can definitely work in the industry without the cert 4 if you can find a clinic that will offer you work, which seems to be the battle, I have done my cert 2 in animal studies online and sent my resumes out to all my local clinics so now it's the waiting game and keeping fingers crossed that someone likes the look of it, as I like you am unable to give up work to study. Keep your eyes out on kookaburra website for jobs you can also post your details on there is anyone is interest and looking for a trainee.:chatterbox:

Maybe go in to your local veterinary clinics and have a chat see what the senior nurses recommend, I found that very helpful. Out of 15 resumes half responded saying no vacancies but would keep on file and the other half never bothered, only one place offered me a few hours work experience a week, which has now led to one casual shift a week possibly, it won't allow me to do any training other than the experience I gain on the job but it means that one day a week I can work doing something I love. You very rarely see veterinary traineeship jobs advertised so you have to be a bit pushy by approaching them. I have heard there is quite a few who do day release each year so someone is being successful.

i don't know if that has helped you in anyway or not:huh:

Hey Huggesy,

Thanks very much for your information, its good to know from someone in the same position compared to people already in the industry. All the best with your search, Where are you inquiring?

I feel like i have gone round in circles finding information and everyone has different ideas, but your information has been a little clearer and clarified some things that i have been wondering.

Thanks again leanne.

Hi Leanne,

im looking down in the southern suburbs,travelling distance probably now more than about 40 mins, but that might change if anything came up:confused: Im going to be talking to the open college this week for some info, they seem abit pushy at the moment phoned quite a few times so I will let you know any further info I get.

but there is always the lucky ones who get a post with training so you never know when you start looking, just do a great résumé selling everything you know and all experience

It is a great job but unfortunately very hard to get in to. I can't remember how many vet nurses we employed as its years ago now but it was something like 100 vet nurses and 50 vets. You have been advised correctly in that you don't need to be qualified to be a vet nurse, but its getting through the door. You have some great ideas ie volunteering, even volunteer at the RSPCA as they usually have a vet clinic attached.

Have you thought about keeping your current job but working as a wildlife carer. Ok its not paid but it is very rewarding. I was registered as a shelter back in Victoria and always had joeys to raise. If you need any help or advice on anything pm me aim always happy to help.

. Keep your eyes out on kookaburra website for jobs you can also post your details on there is anyone is interest and looking for a trainee.:chatterbox:

:huh:

This is the best website out there, you could also place your own add on there, although to be honest as I mentioned there are many people fighting for this kind of work so it would be better to door knock.