Any EMT's or Paramedics out there

Guest EMTGeorge

Guest EMTGeorge

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone in Adelaide works or volunteers as an EMT or Paramedic.

I am an EMT here in New Zealand and have my National Diploma in Ambulance Practice which I believe is a trans tasman qualification.

At 47 and probably 50 by the time we might move out to Aussie I am not sure I would want a full time role nor that I would want to do a degree in paramedicine (although I could start my 2nd year of my paramedicine degree in March here).

So I guess my question is this. What options would I have to keep involved out there as a front line EMT. Here I work as an EMT either alongside a paramedic or as lead medic with lesser qualified crew members dealing with everything a frontline ambulance deals with. We have an ATP that allows me to prescribe, paracetamol. Ibuprofen, Tramadol, Methoxyflurane, Entonox, Adrenaline IM for asthma/ Anaphylaxis,IN adrenaline. Glucagon, salbutamol, Ipratropium, GTN, Aspirin, ondansatron, Loratidine, prednisone. LMA use along with 12 lead ecg and all other equipment carried on and ambulance.

I only include the above as if there are any paramedics over there it will make sense and it would be good to compare what we can do here as EMT's to what can be done there. What level would that put me at over there and would it be usefull. I have 2 years on the road plus some from back in the 80's in the London Ambulance service although it was a very different role back then!

I guess I would like to keep volunteering at least as I love what I do.

so any advice would be great

cheers

george

Hi George.I am an israeli Paramedic living in Adelaide.

As for work - Quite hard to come by. The amb service is only taking graduates out of the uni here.

Volunteer work is mostly rural, u can join one of the places close by... depending where in Adelaide you will be living, Forget your scope of practice... Cert 4 level here as a volunteer no matter what your qualifications are. so BLS.

If you need it you can call for a consultation and then maybee use a little drug therapy.

Hi George.I am an israeli Paramedic living in Adelaide.

As for work - Quite hard to come by. The amb service is only taking graduates out of the uni here.

Volunteer work is mostly rural, u can join one of the places close by... depending where in Adelaide you will be living, Forget your scope of practice... Cert 4 level here as a volunteer no matter what your qualifications are. so BLS.

If you need it you can call for a consultation and then maybee use a little drug therapy.

Yes, I have a friend who graduated with a paramedic degree and cannot get an internship. She is going applying for the second round and if that fails she will look at other states.

Best of luck,

Cooler

Guest EMTGeorge

cheers guys. Sounds crap to be honest! as said not to bothered as I am not looking for a full time role. Sounds very limited volunteer wise would be hard to 'step down' and need to call for advice for things I might do here now. But hey thats what happens when you change countries new rules to follow. If I cant do what I do no big deal as we would be moving for the whole picture not just for what I can do. Always fall back to my first aid teaching as they must have that there!

cheers for the replies

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone in Adelaide works or volunteers as an EMT or Paramedic.

I am an EMT here in New Zealand and have my National Diploma in Ambulance Practice which I believe is a trans tasman qualification.

At 47 and probably 50 by the time we might move out to Aussie I am not sure I would want a full time role nor that I would want to do a degree in paramedicine (although I could start my 2nd year of my paramedicine degree in March here).

So I guess my question is this. What options would I have to keep involved out there as a front line EMT. Here I work as an EMT either alongside a paramedic or as lead medic with lesser qualified crew members dealing with everything a frontline ambulance deals with. We have an ATP that allows me to prescribe, paracetamol. Ibuprofen, Tramadol, Methoxyflurane, Entonox, Adrenaline IM for asthma/ Anaphylaxis,IN adrenaline. Glucagon, salbutamol, Ipratropium, GTN, Aspirin, ondansatron, Loratidine, prednisone. LMA use along with 12 lead ecg and all other equipment carried on and ambulance.

I only include the above as if there are any paramedics over there it will make sense and it would be good to compare what we can do here as EMT's to what can be done there. What level would that put me at over there and would it be usefull. I have 2 years on the road plus some from back in the 80's in the London Ambulance service although it was a very different role back then!

I guess I would like to keep volunteering at least as I love what I do.

so any advice would be great

cheers

george

Hi George,

Welcome.

We arrived almost 7 years ago. My OH was a fire service EMT and had 20 years experience working ambulance and rescue vehicles. His qualifiactions were not recognised so he started looking at other areas.

He applied to be a trainer for country fire service volunteers but wasn't given an interview. When he contacted them he was told that he couldn't be a trainer without Certificate 4 in training and assessment. He enrolled in TAFE and completed the course but life throws a few curve balls and he's still not working in that field.

Life is full of challenges and it's how we respond to them I guess.

Best of luck.

Tamara